We'll start things off here with a ball bearing fan.
Yep, that's an Enhance all right. Since these units are a little fussy with de-soldering the primary heatsink, and all but impossible to do the same to the secondary, this will be a bit of a brief tear down.
Uh... that's an issue. Normally, Enhance is pretty good with their build quality, but entirely too much insulation is melted away here. The black wire is fine - it's got nothing to short out on except the fuse, which it's connected to anyway underneath. But the white wire? That could also short on the fuse. When that happens, you pop your house circuit breakers because it's a dead short across the AC side of things.
I'm going to add some heatshrink to the white wire when I put this back together. The black one's fine.
Enhance is really good about proper line filtering, and this unit is no exception. We start with no less than two X caps and two Y caps.
Enhance's soldering is top notch as usual. Wait... lower left corner. Zoom in and enhance. No, wait, that should be "zoom in THE Enhance." Sorry. Brain's a little weird today.
To turn this unit into single 12V, Enhance with the old "bridge the OCP shunt resistors" trick, and this trick is going to cost them half a soldering point later. It's just messy enough for me to get picky on.
Wait... upper right corner now, please.
What the... why would anyone do this? Install the NTC thermistor and then promptly bypass it? Electrically, I know why... efficiency reasons. Most Gold and up units use a relay to do the same thing, allowing the NTC to help with inrush current before the relay bypasses it. But then why even put the part in with this jumper wire? Why not just leave it out?
And I checked - that's not a long bar of solder, that's an actual jumper wire. I think I'll score on this. We have a 1200 watt power supply with effectively no inrush current limiting. But not too hard... it did work well enough for me in testing without blowing my breaker.
I'm tempted to remove the bypass. But then it likely won't clear Gold, given the efficiency numbers we saw were just barely managing it as is.
See what I mean about Enhance's line filtering? I see three more X caps, two more Y caps, two coils, and a TVS diode, there. Bridges are two 15A parts in parallel.
The primary filter caps are Nippon Chemi-Con. Main switchers are two 6R099C6 parts. I wasn't able to get the part numbers off the PFC parts, but there were two MOSFETs starting with "6R" and a diode.
PWM controller is a CM6800 variant.
Protection IC is painted over and not fully identifiable.
For the 12V output, there are four 023N04Ns.
Secondary side capacitors include a few Nippon Chemi-Cons on the standby rail, but are mostly Unicon for the 12V side of things. That brand is a complete unknown to me, so I'm going to have to pull the capacitor point and treat them like third tier.
The VRMs mostly use Enesol polymers... those get a pass from me. Polymers don't have the same reliability issues electrolytics do.
The back of the modular board looks fantastic, soldering wise.
Meanwhile, the other side shows us two Chemi-Con caps and what looks to be two Nichicon polymers.
Let's go score this puppy and put it to bed.
Add our RSS feeds to your favorite RSS Reader or homepage.