jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-20-2012
micro ATX User

For what it's worth I've found that 306.23 has been the most stable driver for BF3. The latest 310.70 runs fine on my system as well, but many have problems with it.

306.97 is considered good by many users as well. It occasionally freezes BF3 for me though. It's rare, but it happens nevertheless.

Drivers to stay away from for BF3: 310.33, 310.54, and 310.61.
Old 12-21-2012
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherpunks View Post
Your system will pull over 300 but under 400W under load. That's PSU output; it might break 400W at the wall plug due to PSU inefficiency. (Extrapolated from this video card review using generous fudge factors to allow for AMD's processors running hotter.)

So there's no way that the PSU is being outright overloaded. And although Antec has a somewhat checkered quality history, I think they all have basic overload protection, which shuts down the PSU.

That said, there still could be PSU issues. Ripple and transient stability are the big factors that it's hard to evaluate without an oscilloscope.

But this has nothing to do with going from a 650W PSU to an 850W one. The recently reviewed Seasonic 660XP would be even better. But heck, a Corsair CX430 would probably do fine. (Corsair agrees with me.)

It's possible that caps have degraded with time (standard electrolytic capacitors have a liquid electrolyte inside that slowly evaporates at high temperatures; the details are one of the big quality differences between brands), or that the PSU was only so-so to begin with.

The fact that people look only at the big number is a huge problem for manufacturers. People think that, for the same price, the higher-wattage PSU is obviously better, and often it's obviously *worse*. Because the manufacturer spent their parts budget on quantity rather than quality of output.

I don't know about your particular situation; without an oscilloscope connected to your system it's awfully hard to tell. But I can say certainly that your old PSU is not at all underpowered, and is in fact slightly overpowered for what you were asking of it.
I understand that 850w is definitely overkill for my needs, however, it was the only PSU available to me at the time that I felt would give me solid performance to help figure out what was going on with my comp.

Even with the new PSU, my computer still crashed while playing BF3. So at this point, I'm fairly certain it is something elsewhere in my rig.
Old 12-21-2012
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
For what it's worth I've found that 306.23 has been the most stable driver for BF3. The latest 310.70 runs fine on my system as well, but many have problems with it.

306.97 is considered good by many users as well. It occasionally freezes BF3 for me though. It's rare, but it happens nevertheless.

Drivers to stay away from for BF3: 310.33, 310.54, and 310.61.
I'm currently running 306.97 right now (WHQL), and was running the newest WHQL ones as well, both have had crashes so far.
Old 12-21-2012
Captain Awesome

Set your command rate for your memory from 1T to 2T (if it isn't already). The results may surprise you :-)
SSD: C300 128GB || HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || SFX: Creative X-FI Platinum
Old 12-21-2012
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4l1ndr0m3 View Post
Set your command rate for your memory from 1T to 2T (if it isn't already). The results may surprise you :-)
Hadn't thought of that. I was OC'ing, but reset it to default clocks. Am going to try that first, then try the 2T setting. Thanks for the recommendation
Old 12-21-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidbarton View Post
I understand that 850w is definitely overkill for my needs, however, it was the only PSU available to me at the time that I felt would give me solid performance to help figure out what was going on with my comp.
I fully understand swapping out with the highest-quality spare you have, which often is higher-powered. I just wanted to (with apologies for lecturing) step on the idea that the problems with the original were to do with it being underpowered and (by extension) the new one worked better because 850 is more than 650.
Old 12-26-2012
micro ATX User

So, I think I may have figured out the cause. Not to jump the gun, but I think it may be my CPU overclock, prolly don't have enough of a bump in the vCore. Set it back before X-mas, and the days that I have been able to play since then have been crash free. Now, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I have a good feeling about this. I'll keep the thread updated.
Old 12-29-2012
micro ATX User

Yeah, it was my overclock and lack of Vcore. Silly me. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, I appreciate it!