jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-10-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALC0N View Post
But Corsair made the difference here. CWT has models like that good. Corsair just made the new CX on the cheap. Cheap by Corsair standards at least.
I made the same argument when I started working at Corsair. Did you guys make the CX cheaper, but add the Japanese primary capacitor to pacify the "almost knowledgeable" crowd. But I was told that it was due to higher than acceptable failures. And when I asked if these failures were documented and tracked down to a particular design/design-choice, the answer was yes.
Old 12-10-2012
Corsair Rep - Cases and Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALC0N View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there is no reliable data available concerning failure rates of these units. However, the preponderance of user feedback very strongly suggests that the current CX doesn't fare well against the VX.

I have already seen more failure reports and a higher percentage of failures then we ever saw with the VX, and it has been available for a much shorter time. Its a lot harder for unskilled users to screw up a PSU like they might other components. So I view these reports are more reliable than I would for other components.
Just to address this directly -

The VX series was launched in mid 2007 and hit EOL in early 2010, or roughly 3 years.

The CX430 launched in later 2010, and has been updated to Bronze this year, but has been continuously selling for over 2 years as well.

In sales, CX is many times higher than VX ever was. If failure rates were identical, you'd hear more about them just due to that.
Old 12-10-2012
3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I made the same argument when I started working at Corsair. Did you guys make the CX cheaper, but add the Japanese primary capacitor to pacify the "almost knowledgeable" crowd. But I was told that it was due to higher than acceptable failures. And when I asked if these failures were documented and tracked down to a particular design/design-choice, the answer was yes.
Do you mean they did or didn't add jap cap?

IIRC, CX from CWT only has taiwan caps.