jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-06-2012
1kW User

any current 50$ PSU better than vx450?
Old 12-06-2012
Flux Capacitor User

well, depends on your market supply and if you count sale prices or not.

A few weeks ago, I could find a dozen...now a little lull until the after Christmas sales.

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-450 450W

Is currently $62 delivered but often goes on sale for $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207018

XFX is down to something like $30 after all discounts and MIR.

But I'd get the PRO 550 at $46 after all discounts and MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207013
Old 12-06-2012
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testakraze View Post
any current 50$ PSU better than vx450?
None, but the VX450 wasn't sold for $50 most of the time.

On the other hand, you can now get a Capstone 450w for $60.
Old 12-09-2012
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
S12 was never a high-end platform TBH. More like mid range at best.

It's still a group regulated unit, nothing to write home about. May be great when compared to the competition at the time (over 5 years ago!) but current budget offerings aren't exactly much (if any) worse.
On the contrary, the S12 II was arguably the best 500 watt and under PSU line ever made at the time of it's release. It sold for as much as $110, and it along with it's rebranded cousins received universal praise from reviewers and users alike. And the VX450 was the best value of the bunch.

Even today, where lower end performance and value have improved, there are only a couple of low end unit that are it's equal.

Quote:
Only plainly visible difference is VX having better caps, but it's not much of an issue, since in CWT builds fan tends to rotate pretty fast@idle, giving more than enough cooling to caps (which, based on CX430's reviews, are Teapo and Samxon, so not exactly trash tier either). So you likely won't notice the difference anyway in practice. But you will obviously notice worse cabling on VX450.
Who do you think your kidding? The build quality difference is palpable as is the higher failure and defect rates of the new CX. The reputation of the old VX/CX was bullet proof. The new ones just don't live up to that standard.
Old 12-09-2012
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
None, but the VX450 wasn't sold for $50 most of the time.

On the other hand, you can now get a Capstone 450w for $60.
The capstones are all Super Flowers, correct?

And where are you guys getting $50 and $60 for it? That's looks like the sale price to me.
Old 12-09-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Even today, where lower end performance and value have improved, there are only a couple of low end unit that are it's equal.
FSPxxx-60GHN is roughly equal. HP Element Plus is not a lot worse. Nor is CWT DSAII. HP Element Bronze is IMO actually better, as it's indy regulated. I'd take indy regulated SAMA over S12II any day too.

You're overrating Seasonic, probably "just because it's Seasonic".

Quote:
Who do you think your kidding? The build quality difference is palpable as is the higher failure and defect rates of the new CX. The reputation of the old VX/CX was bullet proof. The new ones just don't live up to that standard.
I don't care about "reputation", do you have any actual, hard numbers (and I doubt it)? If not, that's just anecdotal evidence.
Old 12-09-2012
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
FSPxxx-60GHN is roughly equal. HP Element Plus is not a lot worse. Nor is CWT DSAII. HP Element Bronze is IMO actually better, as it's indy regulated. I'd take indy regulated SAMA over S12II any day too.
I said there were only a few. You listed a few.

Quote:
You're overrating Seasonic, probably "just because it's Seasonic".
You should know better. Seasonic really is that good and you know it.

But Corsair made the difference here. CWT has models like that good. Corsair just made the new CX on the cheap. Cheap by Corsair standards at least.

Quote:
I don't care about "reputation", do you have any actual, hard numbers (and I doubt it)? If not, that's just anecdotal evidence.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no reliable data available concerning failure rates of these units. However, the preponderance of user feedback very strongly suggests that the current CX doesn't fare well against the VX.

I have already seen more failure reports and a higher percentage of failures then we ever saw with the VX, and it has been available for a much shorter time. Its a lot harder for unskilled users to screw up a PSU like they might other components. So I view these reports are more reliable than I would for other components.
Old 12-09-2012
Danke schön

Many negative reviews against the Corsair CX Series units were due to the lack of 12v amperage, 80+ certification, & "lost" value of the old CX400.

Like wise, you can't trust Newegg on these matters as they got "confused" by Corsair's new naming scheme (which is still awful I'd say) since they mixed old CX reviews in with the new CX Bronze units.
They did the same with the HX Series as well. Old HX650, 750, & 850 reviews got mixed in with the new HX Gold reviews.

DSAII units can be rated at 40*C, output what's on the Corsair label, and be 80+ Bronze compliant.
As well as perform like the current DSA II's do. While Corsair may have rated them at 30*C, it's not indicative of the platforms quality.
Old 12-09-2012
200W User

All valid points and I'm not trying to be too hard on corsair. The CX is a quality line and the 430 in particular is very competative in it's price range. But the 500W and up CX variants often go head to head with units that use all Japanese caps, and have 5 year warranties. There was a time when Corsair was at least as good a value as anyone at almost any price level. Maybe my expectations of them are just unfair. But they were so good for so long. That step down, though subtle, really grinds at me.
Old 12-09-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
And where are you guys getting $50 and $60 for it? That's looks like the sale price to me.
http://camelegg.com/product/N82E1681...utm_medium=www

price since NOV. 4

Since newegg runs "sale price" for months at a time...it is really the list price.

At times there are instant $10 off or 15% off in addition, that is not reflected in the camel tracking...at that time the total delivered pricing gets down to $50.

For the quality, efficiency and warranty...you really are going to have a hard time beating these new Newegg/Roswill products.

750 gold $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182073

550 plat modular @ $100 delivered (shows sale price with add/off) {actually, sale price, MIR, and instant off all together}

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182271

750 PLAT non-modular @ $120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182084

If you were in the market for a quality 750...you would be really hard pressed to beat these prices.

Don't work for Newegg...but just saying....since you asked.