jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 10-22-2012
TPU PSU Editor

Default Yokogawa WT210

A new additional to my arsenal Already included the relevant code into my program, for remote controlling it.

Old 10-22-2012
Site Founder

Did you win the Grecian lottery or something?

(Which I hear is funded by the Germans)
Old 10-22-2012
TPU PSU Editor

ha ha nope. If I did I would quit reviewing and leave right away for vacations

Found a great deal with this power meter and grabbed it immediately. I simply couldn't resist although my Instek power meter was just fine. But ok the Yokogawa plays in another category..
Old 10-22-2012
1kW User

It must have been one heck of a deal ... because that thing costs almost 4k $ here at my place

P.S.

For the number of German cars bought all over Europe, they had to organize a lottery for a BIG part of old continent, not only for the Olimp
Old 10-22-2012
TPU PSU Editor

yeap everywhere they are pricey because they are made in Japan and of course they are Yokogawa

Now in Greece far too few German cars are sold due to the crysis..
Old 10-22-2012
1kW User

Default It would be interesting to compare power meters...

... your two good power meters and cheap alternatives like a Kill-A-Watt. With APFC, PPFC, and the old-fashioned rectifier/doubler switch. Ideally with both 240V and 120V. (I don't think frequency should matter.)

We've observed K-A-Ws giving impossible results (efficiency > 100%), but I haven't seen anyone really characterize the inaccuracy.

It would be quite useful for people trying to use cheaper instruments to measure their system efficiency. For example, is a K-A-W ever non-monotonic for a given power supply? I.e. can it be trusted to tell you that configuration A uses more power than configuration B, if you stick to the same PSU?

It would definitely constitute bragging about your setup ("neener, neener, my PSU test rig is better than yours!"), but it would also be very interesting.
Old 10-24-2012
TPU PSU Editor

the basic disadvantage of a KAW besides its inaccuracy it is its really slow DAC. It takes about 1 reading per sec, maybe it needs more than a sec for a reading, so it is practically useless when you are trying to measure a dynamic load or a real PC. Also a good power meter shows its worth at really low loads (5VSB levels where even 0.1W count significantly) or at very high ones where usually the cheap-o-meters can't cope.

To give an example the GPM-8212, which is a very good power meter (an expensive for most of us), takes 2 readings per sec while the Yokogawa which is a high-end power meter can take up to 10 readings per sec. The difference is huge and very significant for me.