jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 09-24-2012
1kW User

Default Am I snake-bit? Seasonic failures

I have had two Seasonic-built PSU's fail on me. The first was an Antec 750 Watt TPN-Blue. RMA was painless except for the cost of shipping the PSU to Antec.

My two 650 Watt and my 460 Watt Seasonic X's have been fine. But my 750 Watt Seasonic X died last night. I turned it on, heard a snap, then everything stopped.

At first I thought it was the motherboard, or my BIOS settings. I had just increased my BCLK from 175MHz to 185, with a 20x multiplier; my BCLK had been to 200MHz so I thought there would be no issue. But that was almost 2 years ago.

I disconnected the mb and put on the Clear CMOS jumper. Then pulled off the jumper, tried to start it. The fan on the CPU heatsink twitched, then nothing.

Switched PSU's to the 460 Watt (entails switching mb cable along with the psu). The rig started right up. I found the BIOS asking if I wanted to start with the last known good, and Windows wanted to know if I should start it normally (that is odd; it had not booted into Windows when the rig snapped at me). Then everything loaded and all was good again.

I suppose I will try reconnecting the psu to see if it will go, but I think it's gone. Two out of five. Not good numbers.
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD; Seasonic X-460; Basement open air testing rig
Old 09-24-2012
1kW User

Just tried it again. This time the psu's fan twitched, but the heatsink's fan never moved. Must be that last twitch was the capacitor's last bit of charge.

Ah, well. Off to learn about Seasonic's RMA process.
Old 09-24-2012
1kW User

Pondering this, I'm thinking the Seasonic lads will trash the psu when they try to fire it up and it won't go. That will be a sad waste of an excellent and expensive San Ace fan.
Old 09-24-2012
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Pondering this, I'm thinking the Seasonic lads will trash the psu when they try to fire it up and it won't go. That will be a sad waste of an excellent and expensive San Ace fan.
Electronics are usually recycled, hardly ever trashed.

As for your Seasonic troubles, I'd say it's more just down to bad luck. You're using 3 different platforms (X750 & X*60 units are the same for the most part, but the PCB is different.)

On the other hand, it could be somethin in your place power wise; but you'd most likely have other damaged electronics if that was the case.
Old 09-24-2012
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Electronics are usually recycled, hardly ever trashed.

As for your Seasonic troubles, I'd say it's more just down to bad luck. You're using 3 different platforms (X750 & X*60 units are the same for the most part, but the PCB is different.)

On the other hand, it could be somethin in your place power wise; but you'd most likely have other damaged electronics if that was the case.

Tator is correct, we do our best to recycle the units unless it is beyond repair.
Old 09-24-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Did you ever hear the Arlo Guthrie take on the "last" man, the unluckiest of them all?

Also have the units been "packed and shipped" any time, by themselves or in computer case?
Old 09-24-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm View Post
Did you ever hear the Arlo Guthrie take on the "last" man, the unluckiest of them all?

Also have the units been "packed and shipped" any time, by themselves or in computer case?
I'll have to look up old Arlo's piece.

These PSU's were shipped from Newegg. Other than that, they've been nowhere but here.

It's nice to know they're not trashed.

I'm in New Jersey. I imagine we have dirty power, but the ones that failed were plugged into surge protectors, and no other electronics have died. The old Antec would simply cut out when the rig started doing anything interesting. It was like having heavy duty GPU's overdrawing a rail. The replacement handles all loads easily. <shrug> As Sallah said, "Bad dates." (raiders of the Lost Ark)
Old 09-26-2012
For sale or rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
I'm in New Jersey. I imagine we have dirty power, but the ones that failed were plugged into surge protectors, and no other electronics have died.
Surge protectors probably won't protect against "dirty power." A buddy of mine who lived in the boonies would have a PSU die every few months. No other electronics died and he always used surge strips. He went through around 5-6 PSUs in 2 years. Problem ended when he got a line conditioner. I think he's only had one PSU outright die in the past 8 years since he went line conditioning.
Old 09-26-2012
TPU PSU Editor

I use UPS on all of my electronic equipment (in total I have 6 UPS in my home) and never ever lost a PSU or other device, despite the brown-outs and the dirty power grid we have in my town.

Surge protectors as their name imply are only for spikes/lightnings and nothing more.
Old 09-27-2012
90 Degrees from Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
I use UPS on all of my electronic equipment (in total I have 6 UPS in my home) and never ever lost a PSU or other device, despite the brown-outs and the dirty power grid we have in my town.

Surge protectors as their name imply are only for spikes/lightnings and nothing more.
Same here. I should take out stocks in APC and Cyberpower with the units I have. THough on the last Blackout we had I turned off all the Alarms. Nothing like waking up at 2am in the morning from 10 UPS's all beeping from there alarms.

I find the UPS's help to clean up a lot of the garbage on the lines (my APC records on average 110+ incidents in a month). So far , I've never replaced a PSU.

-Storm

- Caught in the Maelstorm / A grasp unknown / tap you heels 3 times / You'll want to be home - *S.T 2009*