jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 09-20-2012
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

I do all my testing @Enermax in manual mode. For normal static loads its easy

Programming the way you do is way over my head.

Last edited by Philipus II; 09-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Yeah, that's hardcore stuff... W1zzard must be really happy with himself these days.

Crmaris, any plans for an updated methodology? (maybe an overload test?)
Old 09-21-2012
TPU PSU Editor

I am happier than him

personally I don't believe in overload tests, since I blown many good PSUs while overloading them. So I don't want to give a bad example to my readers (e.g. I manage to overload a PSU up to this point, so a reader based on my example tries this and gets himself a nice bricked PSU).

Only in cases that a manufacturer clearly states that a PSU can work without any troubles in higher loads (like SF did in same of their platforms) then I will overload them.

Nevertheless I have already programmed some additions on my reviews and currently working on them. For starters I implemented far more sophisticated dynamic transient response tests Also I still struggle to find a method which will allow me to take reliable noise measurements. But with 45-47 dBA ambient in my lab, while the chromas are in operation, this is really difficult.
Old 09-21-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
I do all my testing @Enermax in manual mode. For normal static loads its easy

Programming the way you do is way over my head.
Yeah, it's easy... but then you're totally missing the point of being able to use a Chroma. Might as well have a TechRed, SunMoon or FastAuto if you just do static loads. Want to test holdup time, rise time, etc.? Then you bring out the big guns.
Old 09-23-2012
TPU PSU Editor

Hold-up time is easy with the out-of-reach (for us poor reviewers) Chroma 8000 ATEs.

With the plain Chromas it still needs the same amount of work that is needed with the rest of the elec. loads. You need to probe the AC input and the Power Ok signal for the hold-up time. A dangerous procedure since you have to mess with the mains.

I use an isolated transformer and a step-down one to measure hold-up (will add it from now to my reviews).

With the AC source I could measure the hold-up time through my software but not as accurately because I should ask for readings from the loads every 1ms and the min the 6314A can do is 5ms. If you add the delay of the interface then accuracy goes out of the window.
Old 09-23-2012
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
out-of-reach (for us poor reviewers) Chroma 8000 ATEs
Those are out of reach ? LOL, just calculating up for part of your configuration you have going here puts mine to shame 10 fold.
Old 09-23-2012
TPU PSU Editor

compared to the 8000 my set up is cheap

But these big toys are for companies only and not for reviewers or individuals (unless you are a millionaire and you have PSU reviewing as hobby, instead of golf).
Old 09-25-2012
TPU PSU Editor

Finally the AC source came and after two days of ultra hard work the software is ready and so far all are running smoothly

Here are some screenshots with the program in action.. Some buttons/labels are not aligned in the following screenshots because in my code PC I use large fonts while in the Loads PC I use normal ones (if I used C# then WPF would solve this prob but I started writing it two years ago in Delphi and I don't have the time/courage to convert it).