jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 08-19-2012
micro ATX User

Default Antec p280 special edition?! (GI_Joe please respond)

I own a p180b and I've been thinking about upgrading to a newer model. I was going to get the p280 but then I came across this: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23061

Does anyone know anything more about it? I know it says it's release date is sometime this fall (hopefully sooner than later?) but haven't really been able to find out an approximate price. The newer revision of this case looks awesome and makes me want to hold off buying another case until this comes out.

Also here is a youtube video that walks you through the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqxCwtVQ2c.

Overall I think it looks much better than the standard p280. The front panel and the side window really set it off. Not to mention that you can actually fit a radiator up in the top portion too. I feel this will definitely be an upgrade from my p180b.

@GI_Joe, could you please give us anymore details on this case?
Old 09-06-2012
micro ATX User

Hi Poetik,

We are trying to push the release of the P280 Special Edition before the holidays.

Antec
Old 09-06-2012
90 Degrees from Danger

That actually looks really really nice. Love to see how the internals are layed out, though I am still a fan of having Fan ports on the side panel.

-Storm
Old 09-06-2012
Flux Capacitor User

That's actually the best looking case to come out of Antec in a while. I like it.
Old 09-07-2012
90 Degrees from Danger

What is important to me now, is how thick the panels are, and how solid is the case in general. Looks are great, but being well built helps too. Can't wait.

-Storm

- Caught in the Maelstorm / A grasp unknown / tap you heels 3 times / You'll want to be home - *S.T 2009*
Old 09-07-2012
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
What is important to me now, is how thick the panels are, and how solid is the case in general. Looks are great, but being well built helps too. Can't wait.

-Storm
The "original" (feels pretty stupid saying that, since it's still such a new case) P280 was built very well.

If it's one thing Antec does right on the vast majority of their cases, is build them to a proper standard.
Features &/or design choices aside, it's been a long time since I could have made a valid complaint against Antec in terms of their case build quality.

I wouldn't worry about how it's built, but I would question how it performs. The P280 did fine in terms of performance but with the addition of the window it may get louder than some people are looking for.
On the other hand, the HDD bays are still covered, and that's where a majority of obtuse noise comes from.
Either high pitched whines or low drone hums from HDD's are usually the most annoying to folks.
Old 09-07-2012
90 Degrees from Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The "original" (feels pretty stupid saying that, since it's still such a new case) P280 was built very well.

If it's one thing Antec does right on the vast majority of their cases, is build them to a proper standard.
Features &/or design choices aside, it's been a long time since I could have made a valid complaint against Antec in terms of their case build quality.

I wouldn't worry about how it's built, but I would question how it performs. The P280 did fine in terms of performance but with the addition of the window it may get louder than some people are looking for.
On the other hand, the HDD bays are still covered, and that's where a majority of obtuse noise comes from.
Either high pitched whines or low drone hums from HDD's are usually the most annoying to folks.
While true, the price point that they come in at dictates a lot of build issues. I.e. 300 was not an ideal case that many people adopted, where as the P180 many found to be quite a good chassis. That being said I've never had the P280, so I won't judge. Just stating I hope its Solid. As there have been many (not just antec) that were not.

-Storm

- Caught in the Maelstorm / A grasp unknown / tap you heels 3 times / You'll want to be home - *S.T 2009*
Old 09-07-2012
Danke schön

The Antec Gaming Series 300 was launched at $50 USD though.
It's a fairly well built case, especially for the time, at such a low price point.

It's impossible to get P180 level of build quality into a case that's 1/3rd the price.
Old 09-07-2012
90 Degrees from Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The Antec Gaming Series 300 was launched at $50 USD though.
It's a fairly well built case, especially for the time, at such a low price point.

It's impossible to get P180 level of build quality into a case that's 1/3rd the price.

That was the exact point I was putting across at the top. The Price Point will dictate the quality of the case. That is the part that has me, most concerned.(Sorry I didn't make that more clear with my inital Post on the matter, my mistake)

I know you won't get P180 quality at 50USD. But for 50USD at the time of the 300, there were better options. So, I am hoping that whatever iteration we get of the case pictured above is in a high enough cost bracket that it is feature rich. And of the same caliber to contemporary chassis on the market.

Make sense?

-Storm

Old 09-07-2012
Danke schön

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

The biggest thing this case is going to fight is the Corsair 550D, Fractal Design R4, & Cooler Master Silencio 650.

Speaking as someone who got hands on with the NZXT H2, Corsair 550D, Fractal Design Define R3, & P280; I'd put the P280 as 2nd to the top of that list.
The Fractal Design Define R3 was a quieter case overall, and while it wasn't actually built better, the structure was more rigid on the doors thanks to the extra thick noise isolating foam that Fractal Design uses.

The Define R3 was also the winner in my opinion, as unlike the 550D, it did not sacrifice cable space for silence. It had about an 0.75 Inches to work with in terms of cable space.

The case was also just a lot easier to work in compared to the Silencio 650.

From all accounts, the Define R4 is an all around better case than the R3 was and comes in at the same price point; so that'll prove some stiff competition for the P280.

A big issue with the P280 vs a case like the Define R4 is that you can add extra fans to the R4's HDD bays as well as remove the bays themselves. Something that's not available in the standard P280 configuration.

On the other hand, the P280 special edition already looks like it's going to have more room up top for someone who wants to put in a 240mm radiator. Which is a welcome addition that the Define R4 doesn't really have.
The space is there, but it's not enough to make it a comfortable fit.