jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 08-07-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
I'd love to see those in EU, if price was slightly lower than CX430, I could see them being quite common recommendation.
Probably too new right now. Initially it was only a China SKU, but I think it might be making its way across EU.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
CWT's GPA platform
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...&postcount=168

EDIT:
Not a great design, but you can see some performance figures based on the Cheiftec unit of the same design.
Oh come on.. that's as far from great as Paris Hilton from chastity... the GPA is half a step away from trash.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Exchange rate issue I take it?
Beats me, TBH. CX600 is very well priced, and so is CX500. CX430 - not really. I'm guessing some retailers have this odd brand mania where they can't let Corsair be cheap enough. Though it wouldn't be good for VS450 either.

Quote:
Usually with BeQuiet 450w units (System Power S6 & Pure Power L7) as well as other solid units likes the Antec Basic Power VP450P units not far behind or just a few denominations cheaper.
These aren't too cheap either. For the same price you can get stuff like SS500-ET, CTG-500-80P or FSP HE-500 (nearly same platform as VP450P or older L7 units), with 2x PCI-E and around ~400W@12V. Odd market, odd pricing retailers have indeed.

GPA-500S8, lacking second PCI-E and having rather short cables, is notably cheaper. There is also OCZ CXS in between - 2x PCI-E but 40 cm cables too.

Quote:
the GPA is half a step away from trash.
I'd put it as "cheapest unit you could reasonably put in your PC with no fear of exploding". Quite a different spin, no?

Quote:
Probably too new right now. Initially it was only a China SKU, but I think it might be making its way across EU.
Thx for heads up, we'll wait and see.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
I'd put it as "cheapest unit you could reasonably put in your PC with no fear of exploding". Quite a different spin, no?
Not really, I don't think that's an accurate description... how cheap does it have to be? ~20€!?.. and even then, wouldn't you pay ~5€ more to get a HPC-400-G12S (which is available all over CEE at <30€) and it's head and shoulders above the VS450 (no JunFu and other Chinese crap, but full Teapo).

I wouldn't pay money for such a unit, and I don't get why brands such as Corsair bring such crap to market.

Last edited by Original Sin; 08-08-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2012
Danke schön

In my opinion, CWT's DSA II, ATNG's APL/APD, & other such budget solutions are as low as I will go in recommendations.

I always tell someone on a budget that a power supply is gonna cost them $50 USD, which is right around the cost of a Rosewill Green 430w or even a Seasonic S12II Bronze if it's on sale.
If they cannot afford that much then they need to wait before they buy a PC.

Still; GPA isn't something I'd demand people replace instantly either.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
In my opinion, CWT's DSA II, ATNG's APL/APD, & other such budget solutions are as low as I will go in recommendations.

I always tell someone on a budget that a power supply is gonna cost them $50 USD, which is right around the cost of a Rosewill Green 430w or even a Seasonic S12II Bronze if it's on sale.
If they cannot afford that much then they need to wait before they buy a PC.
Exactly this.
What's with the chase for even cheaper products?.. this is just crap.

In Europe we have the VP350P, 400/450-G12S and a couple of other units in the 30-40€ category (and that's really cheap), once you move to the 40-50€ category you get bunch of DSAII flavors, ATNG APD, some decent Delta and FSP designs and so on.
Why would you wanna' go below 30€?.. to compete with Key Mouse?.. they're gonna beat you anyway because they're selling "600W" @ 20€, and people looking for such units know literally nothing about PSUs and will always go for higher ratings.

For a nice 30-40€ unit I'd like to see a GW-4000S(88+) fitted with Teapos, in a nice 125mm casing, with a <1000 RPM fan, one PCIe, 4 SATA, 3-4 Molex, all sleeved. That would make an excellent "cheap" unit.
Old 08-08-2012
Danke schön

I'd agree, that Greatwall unit with some added cable length & teapo's would be a solid option.

Or if FSP actually put the Raider units out for a decent price. They finally showed up in the US but cost almost as much as an Aurum.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
wouldn't you pay ~5€ more to get a HPC-400-G12S (which is available all over CEE at <30€) and it's head and shoulders above the VS450 (no JunFu and other Chinese crap, but full Teapo).
It also has 60W of 12V capacity less. So not really. Really good model from that series is 500W one - 2x PCI-E + decent cable length and 400W@12V is very much in line with competition from the price range. It's also base for aforementioned Chieftec CTG.

Also fans on GPAs tend to spin pretty vigorously, so I'm not that concerned over caps. Though of course, long time reliability remains to be seen, as PUF/PUFPs are not revered stuff. But so far I've seen them recommended quite often for bottom dollar builds and got little in the way of negative feedback (except loudness and cable length, that is - though bottom dollar folks IMO cannot afford to be very picky over that).
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

They didn't make it to the EU market yet, in fact the Aurum Pro hasn't made it here yet, only the Xilencers.
Old 08-08-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
It also has 60W of 12V capacity less. So not really. Really good model from that series is 500W one - 2x PCI-E + decent cable length and 400W@12V is very much in line with competition from the price range. It's also base for aforementioned Chieftec CTG.

Also fans on GPAs tend to spin pretty vigorously, so I'm not that concerned over caps. Though of course, long time reliability remains to be seen, as PUF/PUFPs are not revered stuff. But so far I've seen them recommended quite often for bottom dollar builds and got little in the way of negative feedback (except loudness and cable length, that is - though bottom dollar folks IMO cannot afford to be very picky over that).
They dominate the low end market here as well, and they're omnipresent in the cheap-ish, "ready build" systems.