jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 02-05-2015
200W User

Question Convert GPT windows disk to MBR without damaging the installation?

Hi i have a question.
I am using a computer with EFI enabled, but i have a certain problem. I cannot use the SATA controller in AHCI mode while EFI is enabled, so i want to convert my GPT partition on which windows is installed to a MBR partition, however, i don't want to reinstall all my stuff.
Is there a way to convert the system partition to MBR and still have it bootable?
Old 02-05-2015
Naughty

Probably best to use specialized software for it, Paragon's Hard Disk Manager works great for this purpose.

You could possibly do it with the tools Windows already has, but then it'd be more work than actually installing from scratch.
huckleberrypie (10-23-2015), xnd_bogdan (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Probably best to use specialized software for it, Paragon's Hard Disk Manager works great for this purpose.

You could possibly do it with the tools Windows already has, but then it'd be more work than actually installing from scratch.
It was really easy. I just installed Hard disk manager 2015, then i selected "convert gpt to mbr", and i also marked the partition on which windows is installed as the active partition, and i clicked apply. It restarted my system and it made the changes, then i disabled EFI(2.2tb infinity from MSI) and i booted in windows. I then put windows to boot into safe mode and i changed the controller from IDE mode to AHCI, then i booted into safe mode and rebooted into normal mode. I am now using windows without EFI and AHCI mode enabled.
Thanks for telling me about Paragon Hard Disk Manager

And about reinstalling from scratch...i really hate doing it, since this is my audio rendering machine, and when i reinstall windows i have to install all my VSTS and music software...so it's best to avoid that.
Old 10-23-2015
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post

Vouching on that one too. It worked well when I converted my backup drive so I can use it on a Hackintosh config I'm experimenting with (well since OS X calls for a GPT drive unless you modify the installer).