jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-18-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Default help needed new psu';''

hi what's the "BEST" psu for me please, I don't need a huge amount of power,

preferably modular, and it has to fit in a uATX case, say a lian li v351, I don't want to spend a huge amount, and am in the uk, so it has to be available, but we do have a large choice.

it also needs plenty of sata connections.

also what's the VERY best psu around at the moment, cost no object, quiet is a must.

help please
Old 03-18-2012
~y

Seasonic X-560 should fit your needs.
Old 03-18-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Seasonic units are not that well priced in UK

@ OP, pick up a Cougar SX 550 from ebuyer or an NZXT Hale90 550/650 from scan.
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

they're all a little expensive, anything cheaper, and reccs for the very best at the moment?

thanks again for your help
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Cheap and very best don't really come together you know
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

sigh, I know.

I have done it anyway, I went for a cheapo case with a psu built in.

I am downgrading, I have a temjin 03 case and its massive, so am after a uatx case, I went for a budget one and hope its ok, it has a 400 watt psu built in, and I have had to buy extra sata adapters.

I know its cheap, but hopefully psu's are rated to work at their power rating.

I am of the opinion, you don't really need to spend megabucks, but that may change if its poor.

I will upgrade both case and psu when finances recover.

I have bought a lovely asus maximus gene mobo, to fit in my new small case, it should all arrive a week today all being well.

I will let all know.

as long as the psu works ok, I am coming down from a corsair 1000 watter, its a bit redundant as I don't stress anything, I don't see point in overclocing, its like how big is your penis.

my next buy is a nice soundcard, fancying an asus xonar, I have had it with creative, can never get em to work right.

my previous bgears enspirer burned out a voltage regulator, dunno if that's common on them, but its worrying as they are so expensive, its had it.

I do hope asus or someone else has redesigned it or the power supply section as I can't have voltage regulators going pop all the time.

I totally wrecked it trying to fix it, impossible to solder, tracks to fine.

also will get an ssd and a bigger HDD. so much to buy, I can't believe a decent psu costs 200 plus

this is my new case, you can laff if you like, but its cute and cheap, hopefully will do the job.

http://www.ebuyer.com/134832-shiny-p...400w-psu-908bl

size is now my priority I am of the opinion enthusiast grade stuff is one big money spinner, psu's cost little to make I reckon you are looking at x10 profit for the makers. overclockers really have bought a big lie, what's the point? I just want it to work at everyday stuff.

its all coming from ebuyer, great place, so simple to order and change items, and one of the cheapest, too!!

Last edited by ianm2; 03-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

well, you have certainly bounced between extremes in your posts.

There are loads of $40 PSU that are perfectly aqueduct.

You asked for the best "cost no object". And "Very Best"

Antec NSK 4482 Black / Silver 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply

Is around $90 here in the states. You would know that you are at least getting something safe and dependable.

What you are getting is a roll of the dice. Good luck. You will need it.
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

1x SATA and 8X Molex says old design to me, likely low efficiency.
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

hmm, not sure efficiency actually matters if its not drawing much power, remember, its only a cheapo case and psu. my compter draws around 100 watts from the wall, I have a power meter in line, under normal!! conditions, so if you say 50% at worst, that's 50 watts, certainly no where near 1000watts, so it is overkill, 1000 watt rated that is.

remember, its sort of like the accelerator on a car, you have the "capacity" available, but if your foot is light, only a tiny trickle of petrol is getting drawn, ditto with power, 1000 watts is a maximum rating its capable of handling, there is little point if the computer only sucks 100 watts from the wall.

its all to do with current, watts = current times volts, and we assume volts are fairly fixed, you have 240 or 120 going in and its stepped down to 12, 3, and whatever else. the current is the variable, due to resistive losses, the voltage willl droop at some point near the max rating. on better "regulated" ones you get less droop and more efficiency, but 1000 watts is a lot, think of an electric fire, the current causes heating and that's what we don't want, heat loss. the more efficient, the less the losses due to heating, but big current= big temperature, that's what the fans for.

power, volts, current and resistance are basic DC terms, the very best book to understand them ils basic electricity, by van nooger.

with Alternating current, you add capacitance ( condensors....do what the say, condesnse, or store electricity, ) and chokes/inductors, both are effectively resistors, but instead of being a fixed resistance like DC resistance, they vary their resistance to alternating current, and the resistance varies as the frequency or "speed" of the AC changes, its 50/60 hertz or cycles per second.

capacity is in farads and inductance in henrys, X is what we call reactance or AC resistance.

Xc is capacity reactance and XL inductive. Xl is 2 x pi x the frequency, answer in ohms.

C is to do with the size of the capacitory, it is equal to the subtance that's in the middle of 2 plates of metal, times by the area of the plates, all that divided by the distance the plates are apart.

that's as basic as I can make it!! hope it helps someone.

check out the book I recommended. its by far the best explanation.

I could go on, but I may confuse some....

Last edited by ianm2; 03-19-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Right,

you know what site you are posting on right?

Might want to dial back on the caffeine, or other recreational activities.