jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 02-10-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

So far, I'm considering one Sony 40" model, four Samsungs (LCD and plasma) from 32-43," two 40" Toshibas, one 32" Panasonic, one 40" Hitachi (if I can find it), and zero LG's.
Old 02-14-2012
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
So far, I'm considering one Sony 40" model, four Samsungs (LCD and plasma) from 32-43," two 40" Toshibas, one 32" Panasonic, one 40" Hitachi (if I can find it), and zero LG's.
I have a Toshiba 42" 1080p TV that's a few years old. No issues what-so-ever. Within the past year, I purchased a 46" Toshiba 1080p on a crazy good deal at Best Buy for <$350 (after some sweet discounts and coupons). Both sets survived a 1200 mile move across the country this week.

Needless to say, my next TV purchase will also be Toshiba. Let us know what you end up getting.
SSD: C300 128GB || HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || SFX: Creative X-FI Platinum
Old 02-14-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Toshiba 40E210U - only one store had any left in stock due to being higher priced than the others. Got them to price match, and I had my new TV for $460 - they basically paid the taxes and enviro fees for me
Old 02-14-2012
micro ATX User

I have a sister-in-law who (against my advice) bought an LG TV and then went out to buy a 2nd one for the kids that was a Philips. Should be interesting to see how well they hold up.

Glad you got your TV situation sorted!

Gary
Old 02-14-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Personally, I want to see the Philips outlive the LG.

Finally made it home and the Toshiba is up and running. Compared to the 27" LG, it's enormous. I may need a wall mount - takes up too much space where I have it.
Old 02-21-2012
micro ATX User

Since you are in Canada, the answer to your service issues is in choosing a premium dealer. Costco has amazing service, and Memory Express when you buy their "extended service plan" has never failed me, and I don't hesitate to bring stuff back that is not satisfactory. I have also had good luck with Dell small business models/sales.

Memory Express, on 2 separate occasions, have given me an upgraded product about a year after I bought it, because they were not suited for my purpose. The first was a pair of 40GB corsair Sandforce SSD's. They had an issue (firmware) with S3 that wouldn't let me use them in the notebooks that I bought them for. I put them aside for a long while, but when it became clear that no fix was coming, I talked to memory express, and after a few days investigation, replaced them with 60GB Sandforce 3 SSD's. On a second occasion, I had a problem with my sapphire 6950 crossfire setup and three way eyefinity. I had a refresh issue that turned out to be a design issue across almost all AMD cards. I showed them the forum threads describing the issues, and 10 days later they replaced my cards with more expensive ASUS direct cu 6950 cards without that design defect. I was never charged an extra penny for these replacements, nor did I have to do anything other than honesty explain why they were unsuitable.

Yes, Costco has a very limited selection, and memory express + service plan is not the cheapest place around, but the service is so much better then the bottom of the barrel stuff you get these days!

PS if you are looking for the worst possible service, look no further than Sapphire. I bought a 5850 and within 60 days the fan started to rattle. I was past the point the dealer would help me, so I was left with their warranty. Amazing but true, you have to send it back to them ..... IN CHINA, at your own expense ...... They have a third party broker that will help you get it there, I think their charge was about 35$..... Yup the best they could do was charge me 35$ to fix a 60 day old card, and the delay would be who knows how long. Screw that.
Old 02-21-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Costco is a no-go. Nearest one is more than two hours away, and I have to pay for a membership. I bought from Best Buy in Saskatoon.

At any rate, the new Toshiba is doing fine. Bad sound, but good picture. For just under $400, I got a decent unit.
Old 02-21-2012
Danke schön

I've yet to find a TV with a good built in speaker bar in a long time. Though, I honestly only use the built in speakers as a quick check to make sure things work. TV's are so slim now a days I don't see why someone wouldn't get at least a decent $100 HTIB system to use.

Though, monitor wise, Dell's speaker-bar for their Ultrasharp monitors is pretty fantastic all things considered.
Old 02-21-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Yeah - good sound is pretty much not happening on any flat panel TV these days. The cabinets are really too thin to allow it.

Here's where the LG ended up - playing second banana to my old BenQ G2400WD in the office. Main rig is enjoying a new Samsung S24A300B. First one had a dead pixel out of the box, but NCIX made good on the guarantee this time. Second one's fine.

Old 02-21-2012
1kW User

And this is why everytime someone asks me advice on monitors and TV's I recommend Samsung or Panasonic (for plasma's anyway).

Sure LG has some nice product... till something goes wrong.
Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)