jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-15-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Interesting, especially to see the minor variations in results from the different examples of the platform. I've always liked the design of the XFX units. It's a pity XFX's customer service is so insanely variable, and it's significantly worse/less generous outside US/Canada.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
Old 12-15-2011
1kW User

It looks like the pile of modular cables is larger than the psu:

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD; Seasonic X-460; Basement open air testing rig
Old 12-17-2011
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferky View Post
Nicely done

Question: Did either XFX or Seasonic unit made any buzzing noise (coils) at low load at very close distance?
Just to interrupt:
I THOUGHT i had coil whine also. I was wondering why I was having ringing in my ears recently, and then when it went away, I heard a strange sound that sounded like a fly trying to get out of a window, but almost like a synthetic electrical sound. But after carefully opening everything, I SEEMED to trace it not to the Seasonic 1kw PSU, but to the VRM section on the motherboard. Which seemed REALLY freaky, because there wasn't a coil in sight in that area.

I thought okay, maybe the seasonic is coil whining, and harmonics moving it, but it was NOT coming from the PSU at all. No way in hell I could pinpoint it to CPU VRM area but it be coming from the PSU. Then I decided to unplug the CPU fan.....

Turned on the system....
COMPLETE silence. Only thing making any noise was the 6970 spinning up 3 times like usual. It was DEAD silent .....

I then removed the fan from the ven-X and plugged it in and held it in my hand, and OOOH BOY....it had a whine so loud it could wake the dead.

This must have just ironically started after buying the seasonic PSU, because it NEVER made sounds like that...

Unplugged the fan: dead silent.
Replugged fan, holding it out of the case, and whine city...

Guess I'll replace that panaflo fan with another, but I mean wow....with that kind of sound, I might as well use my 192 cfm Delta instead....

I've heard rattling sounds in fans before, where you actually hear clear 'click' buzzing, but then that's obvious that's a fan causing that...(had an old sunon fan start doing that about 6 months ago). There was no way you could tell this was a fan without hearing it right then and there...
Old 12-17-2011
1kW User

Falkentyne, sounds like a good moment to get yourself a SY1225SL12M or something along those lines.
:P
Old 12-18-2011
TFX User

It is strange.
Doesn't this compatible issue?
Old 12-19-2011
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
Falkentyne, sounds like a good moment to get yourself a SY1225SL12M or something along those lines.
:P
Not one of those. Those fans are pieces of crap for heatsink usage and use regular sleeve bearings to boot. The numbers quoted on Slipstreams are bogus (and supplied by the ODM of the fans series). Scythe sells much better fans for heatsink use than that. Like a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or AP-14 for 2 excellent choices.

And yes, I have at least 30-120 mm fans at the house, from 120 x 12 through 120 x 76 mm form factor.
Old 12-19-2011
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
Not one of those. Those fans are pieces of crap for heatsink usage and use regular sleeve bearings to boot. The numbers quoted on Slipstreams are bogus (and supplied by the ODM of the fans series). Scythe sells much better fans for heatsink use than that. Like a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or AP-14 for 2 excellent choices.
wut
Using bunch of SlipStreams here and they work fine for me. But I have Prolimatech Megahalems which as well can work passively, maybe that's why. :#

Also, are there any benchmarks to see difference between given and true CFM figures? :3
Old 12-20-2011
1kW User

No, I don't have the equipment to test actual cfm and static pressure numbers. But I do base my statement on the performance noted when using them versus other fans with the same or similar rpm rating. For true cfm and static pressure numbers with Slipstreams, base your buying decisions on them against fans that have shown themselves to be good performers for heatsinks. Now for case fans, they perform decently, but they definitely lag other, better performers for heatsink use.

As to the inflated cfm figures of the Slipstreams, it doesn't take a lot of common sense to figure that their numbers are bogus. Take the Slipstream I still have at the house for example; the SY-1225SL12H. The ratings quoted by Scythe are 1600 rpm and 88 cfm. Now compare it to 2 other fans I know for a fact perform much better on heatsinks, the S-Flex SFF21F, which is rated at 1600 rpm and 63 cfm, and the Gentle Typhoon AP-15, rated at 1850 rpm and 58 cfm. How the hell is Scythe going to move that much more air at the same or lesser rpm than those 2 fans? Especially with the blade design of the Slipstream. In actual use on a TRUE, I found the performance of that Slipstream to be equal to a Noctua NF-P12 and quite a bit less than the others I mentioned. That's why I don't recommend Slipstreams for heatsinks, as they are just not efficient enough for a heatsink. If you need to go cheap, get a Yate Loon fan, which at least gives honest numbers. BTW, you do know that Scythe doesn't actually make their own fans, right? They buy from ODMs and rebrand them.
Old 12-20-2011
1kW User

Ah, I see what you mean by inflated figures.
Yep, well, hopefully at least their noise ratings aren't screwed up. :/

For YaLn.. slowest 120mm I can find is rated 28.8 dBA / 46 CFM (D12SL-12). Isn't that kind of low CFM per dBA? :S
Old 12-20-2011
Danke schön

It's just outside the 2:1 ratio you normally find on a 120mm fan. It's not incredibly low, but it's Yate Loon being honest and accurate.