jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 10-29-2011
1kW User

Default Win 7-64 and screwed display of emails

A couple of days ago I received my replacement video card, a Gigabyte 6870OC version.
So I thought I would reinstate Win 7-64 to try and use it daily.
I had problems with it playing a couple of DX9 games and reverted back to Vista because it didn't mess me about.

So, I found all games worked just fine now and was happy with Win 7, until I fired up Windows Live Mail (which I don't really like) and found that the 'header bar' and just the text of an email were readable as normal, the rest on display (the list of emails on the left and the calandar on the right) were very blurred and near enough unreadable.

So, I fired up 'clear text' to re-tune it on both monitors to see if that would help..........it didn't.

Whilst on WLM I got a pop up to say that there was and update, so I let it install hoping it might help matters.............it didn't.

When I fired up WLM again (after a reboot) I ended up with a 'box' saying that WLM couldn't start because it was either not installed properly or I didn't have enough memory.

So now WML won't work at all.........

Anyone any ideas as to why WML was crippled in the first place, and secondly, why did an update screw it up completely ?

I have since reverted back to Vista, and Win 7 is back on my hate list again....
Vista-64-(default OS)-Win7-64-Win8-64..Tt Armor+..HX1050..i7 920(stock)+Noctua U12..GA EX58 Extreme..6x1GB Corsair Dominator... 2 x GA 6870OC CF..onboard sound..2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors..1 x Samsung 1TB F3..1 x WD 1TB..1 x 500GB Caviar Green..Samsung T220(22")..Dell 2408WFP(24").
Old 10-30-2011
1kW User

First I'm not a fan of upgrades. It's always better to start with a clean install. Upgrades sometimes work, sometimes don't. You should try a clean install of Windows 7. If I misunderstood your post and you have a dual boot etc, disregard this one. BTW if you only have an upgrade DVD, it was possible to make a clean install with it and I think it's still possible.

For the live mail, I'd try to use the automatic repair. Go to add/remove programs applet and choose uninstall, you should be given an option for "repair". Try it.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2011
1kW User

Old thread I know, but found the solution to the crappy text.
I turned off 'Morphological filtering' in CCC and that fixed it back in October....
Vista-64-(default OS)-Win7-64-Win8-64..Tt Armor+..HX1050..i7 920(stock)+Noctua U12..GA EX58 Extreme..6x1GB Corsair Dominator... 2 x GA 6870OC CF..onboard sound..2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors..1 x Samsung 1TB F3..1 x WD 1TB..1 x 500GB Caviar Green..Samsung T220(22")..Dell 2408WFP(24").
Old 12-08-2011
1kW User

Yeah I remember seeing your post about your solution a few hours after my post. But I didn't delete it as that one can be useful to someone else.