jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 09-09-2011
TPU PSU Editor

Default Some new toys, Chroma test fixture and Picoscopes

The Chroma board needs some modding since it has only two PCIe connectors and isn't equipped with the decoupling caps for ripple measurements.

The Picoscopes are great!! The poor stingray is a toy compared to them.
Old 01-10-2013
200W User

Did you have to order that test fixture directly from Chroma? Picking one of those up would save me an awful lot of time over building one.
Old 01-10-2013
TPU PSU Editor

I did but they are useless. Only two PCIe!!! And they are really expensive.
Old 01-10-2013
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

Better try to get a Delta or Enermax one. Their test fixtures are way better.
Old 01-10-2013
TPU PSU Editor

Delta is out of reach unless you got a good contact with them. The same goes of course with Enermax. In general these companies do not sell such boards to indivuduals at least.
Old 01-10-2013
200W User

That's basically what I figured (on both sourcing the Chroma and getting one from anyone else).

They might play ball with me because I'm going to be using it in a corporate environment, but I doubt it. The Chroma fixture doesn't have the capacity to deal with the load tester that I'm building, but adding a couple of additional PCI-E connectors on pigtails wouldn't be that hard, and having the BNC connectors for scope hookups would be nice. If it cost <=$700 or so, it'd be worth it versus the cost of my time to manufacture an interface of my own.

But I suspect that by the time I get through messing around with e-mailing any of these companies and actually get something ordered and shipped, it would've ultimately taken less time and been cheaper to just hack something together out of extension cables.
Old 01-10-2013
TPU PSU Editor

you want my advice? Go find a good modular board from a fully modular PSU and use this. Some Silverstone PSUs have very nice modular PCBs (I know this because I already use one for my CPU heatsink tester).

If wasn't a perfectionist I would follow the same way but I had a deep desire to spend some money so I have now three fixtures (Chroma, Delta and Enermax)

Also for some additional PCIe, EPS connectors you can use some 24 pin ATX extension cables of good guality. The PCIe and EPS connectors of a PSU can be connected on it
Old 01-10-2013
200W User

That's actually not a bad idea. Obviously you'd have to use a modular board that doesn't have some weird, proprietary pinout like some of the Seasonic and Antec units do, but something like one of the Silverstone boards that you mentioned would work fine.

Hmm. I'll have to look into that. It'd be better than a bunch of extension cables if only so that the load tester doesn't end up looking like some kind of anime tentacle monster.
Old 01-11-2013
TPU PSU Editor

My first custom made loader was looking like a monster but it performed great! I didn't have the resources back then to destroy a Silverstone PSU and grab its modular PCB. But once I smoked one I used its chassis along with its modular board and built my CPU heatsink tester. I can hook up 4 PCIe and two EPS on it, along with the ATX cable. Not bad at all. But for the molex and SATA connectors you will have to use a custom PCB or just some extension cables.