jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 08-26-2011
200W User

Default i5 2400 at 90C!!!!

hi all. i just assembled a new build and installed xp. in the bios it says the cpu temp is 40C but when i load windows, i ran speedfan to check the temps, this is what i get

SYSTEM: 32C
CPU: 90C
AUX: 90C
SMIOVT4: 32C
SMIOVT5: 32C
SMIOVT6: 32C
HD0: 29C
HD1: 50C
CORE0: 33C

EDIT: here are the pics:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/hwmoniter.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/speedfanh.jpg/
and hwmoniter

SYSTIN: 31C
CPUTIN: 90C
AUXTIN: 90C

INTEL CORE I5 2400
Temp
Core#0 32C
Core#1 33C
Core#2 31C
Core#3 35C
Package 33C

is it really 90C? or should i read the cores temps?

plz help. thanks

Last edited by gogoman123; 08-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Be sure you installed the cooler right, one bolt not putting pressure on the mounting kit and this is what you get.. and check the fan speed, i've seen faulty ones which won't pass 1k rpm even though they should reach 3k+ rpms, if that's the case you need to return it..
Old 08-26-2011
200W User

ok i doubled checked that the cooler is installed right and i checked the fan speed in the bios its 1690 rmp and the cpu temp in the bios is 40C
here is a pic of coretemp:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...etempscrt.png/

i even went into the bios and made a manual cpu fan profile where i set the
cpu upper limit 70C
cpu fan max duty cycle 100%
cpu lower temp 20C
cpu fan min duty cycle 40%

but it didnt change anything. thanks
Old 08-26-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Well, open the case, and see how hot is the CPU heat sink, if it's not very hot take down the cooler and mount it again.. it's weird tbh..
Old 08-26-2011
200W User

ok i touched the metal fins on the cooler and they r cool while the os is running. i took it out then installed it again and still no change iam getting the same values from all softwares. can someone help me plz, is this a faulty cooler? is this damaging my cpu? or is just wrong values reported by the softwares, the cores' temps is ok, right?
Old 08-26-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoman123 View Post
ok i touched the metal fins on the cooler and they r cool while the os is running. i took it out then installed it again and still no change iam getting the same values from all softwares. can someone help me plz, is this a faulty cooler? is this damaging my cpu? or is just wrong values reported by the softwares, the cores' temps is ok, right?
If the CPU heat sink is cool when 90 degrees are listed, something is pretty wrong with the contact between the cooler's base and the IHS. either not enough pressure, or maybe you lack thermal paste or miss applied it(you haven't mentioned it).. it won't damage your CPU unless you run it like this for a while
Get more software readings.. try AIDA.. anyway, even though software readings aren't reliable, the differences you mentioned are ridiculous..

Last edited by Original Sin; 08-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2011
200W User

yeh sorry i forgot to mention iam using stock cooler which came with thermal paste pre-applied so i just put it on top of the cpu and pushed the pins 2 at a time diagonally as stated in the manual. to make sure that it stuck in place i lifted the cooler and the mobo was stuck to it firmly, it didnt feel loose. i will try AIDA in a minute
Old 08-26-2011
1kW User

Did you remove the foil that was over the thermal paste? I'm not sure if Intel still has foil over the paste, it had some time ago.

Anyway, when you're in Windows doing nothing the heatsink should be warm but not hot - the processor is not that hot in the first place...
Quote:
SYSTIN: 31C
CPUTIN: 90C
AUXTIN: 90C

INTEL CORE I5 2400
Temp
Core#0 32C
Core#1 33C
Core#2 31C
Core#3 35C
Package 33C
33-35C sounds about right so the software probably detects the temperature correctly and those two values of 90C are some defaults saying "not implemented" or "not available".

My guess would be that there may be a "deluxe" or "pro" version of your motherboard which has two additional temperature sensors somewhere on the mainboard but in your regular version, the actual temperature sensors are not physically present.
Old 08-26-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
My guess would be that there may be a "deluxe" or "pro" version of your motherboard which has two additional temperature sensors somewhere on the mainboard but in your regular version, the actual temperature sensors are not physically present.
Pretty plausible..
Old 08-26-2011
200W User

the mobo is a pro version, this is it:http://www.ebuyer.com/261404-asus-p8...h61-m-pro-r3-0

so could the CPUTIN and AUXTIN be not accurate? but 3 different softwares are saying the same thing.