jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 07-25-2011
TPU PSU Editor

Default Automatic load tests and some opinions needed on charts

Two days a go I was bored to deal with reviews and decided to program a full automatic testing sequence, in other words a routine that utilizes my fully programmable loads and test all possible load combinations on the test PSU.

The above programming routine can be broken down into three sub-routines/algos.

1)Find all possible load combinations taking into account PSU's max combined power, +12V max power and 5&3.3V max combined power. Also the Amps step should be variable along with the time that each load will be active
2)Initiate the testing procedure according to the generated by routine (1) load combinations and log the results
3)Chart the results

I finished the two hard steps and I got stuck into the third because I am searching for the best possible method to graph the results. I saw Xbit labs does something similar but I found their graphs difficult to read for the average user (and not only).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cases...850w/10gr1.gif

If you have any ideas you want to share I would be very happy to hear them. I can transfer all data to excel but unfortunately the latter doesn't give me lots of options.
Old 07-25-2011
Naughty

Well as far as these "crossload charts" go, I've only seen two types, tagged line and area/surface. The "tagged line" ones are a set of points at the extreme ends of the loading pattern, such as the ones at ITOCP, or you can go for a variant of the area/surface multicolor chart, like the one at XBit labs, or at Techlabs or Easycom (scroll down to see them). I personally find these very easy to read and understand, more so than the line type. I have no idea how else you could do it, apart from these two methods.
Old 07-25-2011
TPU PSU Editor

Thanks for the answer! Tomorrow that I have some spare time I will think it over again. I am thinking to do something in 3D. I don't like much the afore-mentioned charts.
Old 08-02-2011
TPU PSU Editor

done, tested and works like a charm but I prefer the tables I use right now. Also the auto testing procedure can take tooooo long (and electricity bills here in Greece are too high )
Old 08-06-2011
TPU PSU Editor

a sample of the final chart. The good thing is that with this procedure I have completely auto testing and the only thing I have to do is to leave the PSU and the loaders working.

But I prefer to do some manual tests too and since I don't have a four channel scope I also have to test for ripple (except if I get a good four channel programmable scope).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL_efficiency.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1545  
Old 08-06-2011
Naughty

That's actually very nice
How about a planar v-reg or ripple/noise chart?
Old 08-06-2011
TPU PSU Editor

Thanks!
I have v-reg already for +12V, 5V and 3.3V

Although I collect a ton of information, around 24 variables, since I can't have auto ripple measurements I also can't collect/graph them. Once I find a scope that suits me I will make my program auto extract ripple measurements in real time.