jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 07-08-2011
200W User

Default Athlon II X4 640 "new" build temps.

It's idling at 32C today with 39-40C on the mainboard temps.

I just installed the new PSU so it's really the first time I've seen the computer in summer.

It's 106F outside.

Anyway, seeing as it's new I thought I'd get these temps and stuff looked at.

I run prime95 for 7 mins and comes to:

56C CPU
41C mainboard.

2657 RPMs max CPU fan
2327 RPMs case fan max

Is that going to do it for keep it all stock ? I think the max temp for the CPU is 70C , so it all is grand ?
Old 07-08-2011
Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!

Those temps are fine. I would run it a little longer than 7 minutes, but even so pirme95 is all cpu and a unrealistic scenario unless you are using it for folding.
Old 07-08-2011
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370forlife View Post
Those temps are fine. I would run it a little longer than 7 minutes, but even so pirme95 is all cpu and a unrealistic scenario unless you are using it for folding.
I'm just gonna use it for games and that sort of stuff. Maybe some streaming if I get better internet ..
Old 07-12-2011
Captain Awesome

Intel Burn Test will give you your true "max" temperature in a worst case scenario. 56C is a little high for a 95w CPU with no OC. I used this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233082

for my parents. Even with a mild OC and voltage bump, it stays under 40C. There is an old rule of thumb my electrical engineering lab instructor told me with regard to semiconductors, "for every 10 degrees C you lower your average operating temperature, you can expect to double the life". I'm not sure that still applies to today's world of electronics, but I have never felt comfortable going over about 55C on an AMD platform while running Intel Burn Test. In the past, I've had issues with some of the more inexpensive motherboards will have stability issues when the CPU runs hot all the time. I had a Biostar motherboard, TA790GX 128M, with great features but no mosfet heatsink. As soon as the CPU would get in the 50C range it would randomly bluescreen.

My point is, 56C is a bit warm, even for a stock cooler, but should be fine as long as it doesn't go much higher. Getting an aftermarket cooler wouldn't be a bad idea if you have the cash.
SSD: C300 128GB || HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || SFX: Creative X-FI Platinum
Old 07-12-2011
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4l1ndr0m3 View Post
Intel Burn Test will give you your true "max" temperature in a worst case scenario. 56C is a little high for a 95w CPU with no OC. I used this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233082

for my parents. Even with a mild OC and voltage bump, it stays under 40C. There is an old rule of thumb my electrical engineering lab instructor told me with regard to semiconductors, "for every 10 degrees C you lower your average operating temperature, you can expect to double the life". I'm not sure that still applies to today's world of electronics, but I have never felt comfortable going over about 55C on an AMD platform while running Intel Burn Test. In the past, I've had issues with some of the more inexpensive motherboards will have stability issues when the CPU runs hot all the time. I had a Biostar motherboard, TA790GX 128M, with great features but no mosfet heatsink. As soon as the CPU would get in the 50C range it would randomly bluescreen.

My point is, 56C is a bit warm, even for a stock cooler, but should be fine as long as it doesn't go much higher. Getting an aftermarket cooler wouldn't be a bad idea if you have the cash.
The max temp for the CPU is 71 I thought ? I usually see 40C (usually 29-36C) max while just doing random things with the machine. I haven't tried gaming just yet (gotten lazy in switching the cards from this machine to it..).
Old 07-12-2011
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooCows View Post
The max temp for the CPU is 71 I thought ? I usually see 40C (usually 29-36C) max while just doing random things with the machine. I haven't tried gaming just yet (gotten lazy in switching the cards from this machine to it..).
Yes, that sounds about right for the max temp of the CPU as it is rated. Keep in mind, though, that the readings that you are getting through software are not going to be 100% accurate. Expect a variance of anywhere from +5 to -5 C.

If you don't have the extra cash at the moment for a good HSF, I would go into the BIOS and set warning and shutdown temps for the CPU at 60C for warning and 65C for shutdown.
SSD: C300 128GB || HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || SFX: Creative X-FI Platinum