jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2011
TheLaw's Avatar
TheLaw TheLaw is offline
Abacus Overclocker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Include the series of capacitors in reviews!

Hi,

I love the reviews, especially for the internal shots and analysis. It give you an idea of the quality of our favorite (or not so favorite) brands.

However, simply stating "..and we have all Nippon Chemi-Con on the secondary side" isn't all that helpful, as Chem-Con makes tons of different series of capacitors. Are they KY, KZE, KMG...? Of course you don't have to point out the series of the little coupling capacitors...but for the main filtering low-ESR capacitors, there should be mention of the series of capacitor.

If not that, give us some pictures that have the series visible.

Just a thought.
__________________
Awesomesauce
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-03-2011
Hondacity Hondacity is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

say please?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2011
Travis's Avatar
Travis Travis is offline
PSU backseat driver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 2,314
Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

and please include the number of them as well.
__________________
Engrish is my second language.
Protect your kid from e-Porno with Green Damn.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2011
MrWicked1968's Avatar
MrWicked1968 MrWicked1968 is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,589
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

who was it that got busted for using the shells of good capacitors to cover up smaller, crappy ones?
__________________
Rig 1: Athlon X2 7850 Kuma--Biostar 780L--2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800--Asus Formula HD4770--Corsair VX450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 7 32-bit
Rig 2: AM3+ FX4100--Asus M5A 78L-M LX--2x4 GB Patriot 1333--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair VX450--Acer H213H--Win 7 64-bit
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2011
walterm walterm is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WATERBURY, CT USA
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

OMG, thats truly wick ed. Seems more trouble than its worth too.
hmm, would it be ethical or legal to start a (I was going to say Hate list) but really mean Serious Poor Performers (SPP). I will volunteer Compucase/Hec 485 and 585 units. Anyone? Read a review of the 485, scary innards, out of spec, and failure.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2011
Oklahoma Wolf's Avatar
Oklahoma Wolf Oklahoma Wolf is offline
Moderator of Silly Walks
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 5,637
Thanks: 35
Thanked 112 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Are they KY, KZE, KMG...? Of course you don't have to point out the series of the little coupling capacitors...but for the main filtering low-ESR capacitors, there should be mention of the series of capacitor.
I used to do that. Problem there is, on some units you can't see the series of caps without doing a serious amount of extra disassembly. I don't have time for that. Some units take better than 3 hours to go through this process as is.
__________________
My storm chasing images: theweatherwolf.zenfolio.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2011
rafal_iB_PL rafal_iB_PL is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,022
Thanks: 48
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

There is another problem with differences in used caps between revisions/retail version and review samples. I'm quite sure PCP&C did that with Silencer 750W (IIRC it was Nippon Chemi-Con vs OST), Corsair did that too, some found Rubycon, some Nippon Chemi-Con, it was in HX520 IIRC - I have one with Rubycon.

If it went as far as different manufacturer, how often could it be with "same manufacturer, different series"?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2011
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 10
Thanked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Hi,

I love the reviews, especially for the internal shots and analysis. It give you an idea of the quality of our favorite (or not so favorite) brands.

However, simply stating "..and we have all Nippon Chemi-Con on the secondary side" isn't all that helpful, as Chem-Con makes tons of different series of capacitors. Are they KY, KZE, KMG...? Of course you don't have to point out the series of the little coupling capacitors...but for the main filtering low-ESR capacitors, there should be mention of the series of capacitor.

If not that, give us some pictures that have the series visible.

Just a thought.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2011
TheLaw's Avatar
TheLaw TheLaw is offline
Abacus Overclocker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Not all of the time. That's why I am suggesting this. Usually you can see the series on the Active PFC circuit's big high-voltage caps. But on the secondary side of the switchers, it's hard to see. (Also hard for the reviewer, I guess)

I know it's very hard to always get all of them. I've taken apart quite a few PSUs and it is hard to get the exact series, especially the ones from slimline/SFF systems.

But the more information the merrier. Though Chemi-con is solid, and all of the Japanese brands are typically good, not all of their caps "amazing", so for those cap-heads like me, it's nice to know.

Just a suggestion. OW: I see what you mean about being hard to see. It's not crucial information, but maybe throwing in a series or two names would give a little bit more insight on the quality. Don't worry about it if it's that much trouble.
__________________
Awesomesauce

Last edited by TheLaw; 04-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2011
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 10
Thanked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Hi,

I love the reviews, especially for the internal shots and analysis. It give you an idea of the quality of our favorite (or not so favorite) brands.

However, simply stating "..and we have all Nippon Chemi-Con on the secondary side" isn't all that helpful, as Chem-Con makes tons of different series of capacitors. Are they KY, KZE, KMG...? Of course you don't have to point out the series of the little coupling capacitors...but for the main filtering low-ESR capacitors, there should be mention of the series of capacitor.

If not that, give us some pictures that have the series visible.

Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Not all of the time. That's why I am suggesting this. Usually you can see the series on the Active PFC circuit's big high-voltage caps. But on the secondary side of the switchers, it's hard to see. (Also hard for the reviewer, I guess)

I know it's very hard to always get all of them. I've taken apart quite a few PSUs and it is hard to get the exact series, especially the ones from slimline/SFF systems.

But the more information the merrier. Though Chemi-con is solid, and all of the Japanese brands are typically good, not all of their caps "amazing", so for those cap-heads like me, it's nice to know.

Just a suggestion. OW: I see what you mean about being hard to see. It's not crucial information, but maybe throwing in a series or two names would give a little bit more insight on the quality. Don't worry about it if it's that much trouble.
Yeah, you basically are asking for nothing then and acknowledging that it isn't an issue. So I am confused about what you are on about.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.