jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Old 04-05-2011
Flux Capacitor User

I am not familiar with the manuals or information on the ASUS website, you should try there.
I've been sticking with Gigabyte boards as much as I can because I started with them.
My feeling the simpliest proceedure is just go slowly, follow help and menu options but make no changes until you are comfortable in BIOS.
i;M always afraid I;ll do something I shoul not.
So far I've been good enough are lucky.
Basically there ae about 20 commands that corresond to key strokes.
So far WHAT i REMEMBER most is using the "arrows" to navagate, enter to choose. and escape to leave.
When in doubt see what the arrows do, you should find help.
No changes take effect till you use the "save and leave option".
Relax, play to learn.
Old 04-06-2011
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm View Post
I am not familiar with the manuals or information on the ASUS website, you should try there.
I've been sticking with Gigabyte boards as much as I can because I started with them.
My feeling the simpliest proceedure is just go slowly, follow help and menu options but make no changes until you are comfortable in BIOS.
i;M always afraid I;ll do something I shoul not.
So far I've been good enough are lucky.
Basically there ae about 20 commands that corresond to key strokes.
So far WHAT i REMEMBER most is using the "arrows" to navagate, enter to choose. and escape to leave.
When in doubt see what the arrows do, you should find help.
No changes take effect till you use the "save and leave option".
Relax, play to learn.
thanks buddy i will try to find answers from Asus websites
Old 04-07-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Alright, not seeing many replys here.
anandtech forms, hardware secrets forums are much larger web sites for this kind of question.
Old 04-07-2011
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm View Post
Alright, not seeing many replys here.
anandtech forms, hardware secrets forums are much larger web sites for this kind of question.
yeah your right ,even techenclave forums helped me lot
Old 04-07-2011
Site Administrator

What question hasn't been answered?

You was told how to install the GTX260, you was also told you didn't have to worry about the on board GPU as the system should automatically pickup the GTX 260 once it sees it in the slot. Even if the on board GPU was left enabled, its not going to be utilized because you're going to have the cable connected to the GTX 260.

You've gotten suggestions on your freeze problem. It was suggested to check your cooling to see if you have an issue there, which it sounds as if you do. Cases are designed to move air from one place to the other. If you remove a side panel and leave it off (leaving the case completely open) it will alter the airflow in the case which could be for the worse.
Old 04-07-2011
Flux Capacitor User

The problem is your description, investigation of the problem is too vague.
BSOD can be caused by drivers, viruses, hardware...really you are just describing having a computer.

Regarding your BIOS, it does not look like it has the capability. Your only option is to set the priority to IGP, PCI, or PCIE.

I mentioned that this might be a possibility. If you are too lazy to download your own manual, and read the Available BIOS settings: well then you have to expect people to ignore you.

Advice can only lead you on the path. Since we don't have access to your hardware, we can only make educated guesses. YOU need to fill in the blanks.

Good luck getting better responses at other sites with your attitude.
Old 04-08-2011
micro ATX User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Tazz View Post
What question hasn't been answered?

You was told how to install the GTX260, you was also told you didn't have to worry about the on board GPU as the system should automatically pickup the GTX 260 once it sees it in the slot. Even if the on board GPU was left enabled, its not going to be utilized because you're going to have the cable connected to the GTX 260.

You've gotten suggestions on your freeze problem. It was suggested to check your cooling to see if you have an issue there, which it sounds as if you do. Cases are designed to move air from one place to the other. If you remove a side panel and leave it off (leaving the case completely open) it will alter the airflow in the case which could be for the worse.
so now your suggesting me to close the panel of my cabinet
i have also applied new heat sink paste but no use ,
i didnt meant to hurt but i felt i was helped more from other forums
Old 04-08-2011
micro ATX User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
The problem is your description, investigation of the problem is too vague.
BSOD can be caused by drivers, viruses, hardware...really you are just describing having a computer.

Regarding your BIOS, it does not look like it has the capability. Your only option is to set the priority to IGP, PCI, or PCIE.

I mentioned that this might be a possibility. If you are too lazy to download your own manual, and read the Available BIOS settings: well then you have to expect people to ignore you.

Advice can only lead you on the path. Since we don't have access to your hardware, we can only make educated guesses. YOU need to fill in the blanks.

Good luck getting better responses at other sites with your attitude.
i have done almost everything that you guys have told me to do ,in my bios
primay graphic adapter is set PCIE by default and there is no other PCIE setting in my BIOS ,i have give you all fill in the blanks and what else you you wanted
Old 04-08-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
in my bios
primay graphic adapter is set PCIE by default and there is no other PCIE setting in my BIOS
correct.

As I mentioned several posts ago, the ability to change is dependent on the details that your particular BIOS allows.
High end boards allow literally hundreds of memory settings. Basic boards allow maybe half a dozen.

Back to your OP:

Your computer freezes when playing specific games.
That sounds like a graphics problem, (unless it does it when when rendering or some other high CPU load operation)

Graphic cards freeze and eventual die for one reason, excess heat.

The possible causes of excess heat are numerous, and can be in any number of combinations and permutations.

1. Excessive OC, excessive voltage settings = eventual damage to VRM
2. High Ambient temp, poor case cooling. (build-up faster than dissipation)
3. dust build up on the cooling fins of the GPU cooler
4. bump/warp/dry out...heat sink looses contact with GPU (need new paste on GPU)

If you determine that the Card is not overheating in any way(nor has in the past causing permanent damage)

Then you need to look at your software.

1. download the latest Geforce Drivers?
2. What version of WINDOWS? latest updates and patches?

Then you need to look at the affect that software has on memory.

1. The larger the card, the more system memory is allocated to the bus and the VID card to system memory cache.
2. With the overhead of WIndows itself, this can reduce the amount available for the game. (have you optimized your windows set-up to limit the number of background programs, freeing the greatest amount of free memory?)
I'm not an expert on this issue, but I understand that some modern games just work a heck of a lot better with 4GB of memory.

Finally:

You have not mentioned if you are OC the CPU.
Since you do not have a black edition CPU, the OC has to be achieved by increasing the bus rather than the multiple.
In doing that, you also increase the HT BUS (The CPU to GPU is handled by this bus) How high you can go is determined by memory, the MB but most importantly, the CPU itself(AMD memory BUS has been on the CPU for some years now)\

IF you are OC, and IF you have gone too high, the HT bus might be stable until you are playing a game and it becomes overloaded (causing freeze of your system)

You have an X3. Have you unlocked the 4th core?

While some X3 were sold purely as a market filler, and could be unlocked without consequence; others were actually defective under testing.
Hence the worst core, was disabled for a reason.( by running 3 cores, the CPU was stable where it might not be when running 4)
If you are running 4 cores, does the game problem cease when you go back to the default settings?(3 cores)?

The above details are the blanks that need to be filled to optimize your system.
Optimizing windows memory for gaming is itself a topic that is quite extensive. (The number of default, verses really required start-up programs and running services)

See for couple hundred possible tweaks:

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17...onfigurations/

With the price of memory coming down to 10$ GB, many people just find it easier to have 4GB than to fight WINDOWS.
(If you can afford to buy games at $40-50, than you can afford $20 for more memory)

AFTER looking at all of the above in some detail, I would then consider my PSU, or if my VID CARD itself had ceased to function.
Your OP seemed to ask about the installation and PSU requirements for your card.
The answer given was:

1. There is nothing required other than plug and play to instal your card
2. You have enough power to run that system.

All of the other that I have discussed above is more gaming/sytem tuning; not really the specialty of this group.

Good luck.

Last edited by mdk777; 04-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2011
micro ATX User

guys wen i bought this graphic card hoping that i will be able to most of my favourites games ,then i was told that i need to change my PSU ,than i did that but im still there from where i began ,i never fedel with my CPU , bios setting or even overlocking.I never overclocked my system they r all at factory default setting