jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > The Gaming Forum

The Gaming Forum Discuss computer and console games and gaming here

Old 01-20-2011
micro ATX User

Default PC Being Built within the next 2 weeks

Hell everyone. I've been reading around on multiple forums, and websites including this one, on what PC components perform, are stable, and will give you satisfied graphics and performance for extreme gaming! I've been doing some shopping around and I came to the conclusion of this build here. I won't make it final until I know everything will run well with each other. I've read reviews and done my homework making sure everything is compatible with one another. I would just like some confirmation or feedback on what people think, this way I can make some final adjustments or tweaks to my list if necessary. I'm fairly new to computer terms and such, but I'm still learning. So please bare with me if I'm not exactly sure what you mean when explaining complex overclocking specs lol.

FYI... I plan on purchasing everything on Newegg.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) PC Case - Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue Computer Modular Case
ITEM #:N82E16811129093

2) Mobo - ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366
ITEM #:N82E16813131658

3) Processor - Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz
ITEM #:N82E16819115223

4) Video Card - SPARKLE Calibre Series X580 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB
ITEM #:N82E16814187127

5) Power Supply - CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
ITEM #:N82E16817139014

RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ITEM #: N82E16820145321

6) SSD - Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ITEM #:N82E16820226153

7) Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ITEM #:N82E16822136544

8) Monitor - Asus VK278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight
ITEM #:N82E16824236101

9) OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ITEM #:N82E16832116754

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on running my OS on my SSD, and my video games on my HDD. I'm not sure if it will have much of a difference performance wise on which Drive I run my video games off of though. Its why I picked the 240g SSD. I don't plan on running SLI yet, maybe in a few months I'll pick up another GTX 580, but that's down the road. If anyone has any information, tips or suggestions to maximize my gaming performance please let me know! Also too I wasn't exactly sure which OS to get for Win 7, This PC will be used for all types of games (mainly online play), and possibly and career down the line if it still holds up and runs well.

Thanks much

Last edited by OSIRRUS XIII; 01-20-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: being more specific
Old 01-20-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Don't go 980x, 2600K is about on par with it, less power consuming and hell a lot cheaper.

Mobo - well, almost any P67 mobo will be fine as they all have similar functionality (native SATA3, most add USB3.0 too), forget H67, you most likely cannot OC at all on this chipset.

RAM - again, since switching the platform you ditch triple channel and go for dual channel kit, you can save on it, there will not be much difference.

PSU - there is no need to go 1200W, even if you SLI, AX850 will be fine, if not, go Seasonic X-650/660 and call it a day.
Old 01-20-2011
Naughty

If this is to be primarily a gaming machine, you won't see much benefit from using the i7 980X - or an X58/LGA 1366 based system for that matter. You'd achieve a much better price/non-pro (gaming, everyday use) performance ratio by going with Sandy Bridge. Currently the i7 2600K + Asus P8P67 Pro seems like the best combination.

With that out of the way, a couple of questions:
- Why Lanboy Air?
- Why a 27" monitor?
- Why that particular SSD?
- Why not a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB drive?

## EDIT ##

In order to avoid coming across as a total ass, I'll give suggestions pertaining to the questions above.

The Lanboy Air, while a daring design, lacks any sort of air filtering, so it's bound to become a dust bin rather quickly. If you really need a high-airflow case, there are better options in terms of ease of maintenance and cleanliness. For example, FT02B-W. Jusr check if it's the v1.4 revision, that includes the wonderful SST-AP181 fans. If not, perhaps you could get that particular version elsewhere? It's totally worth it.

There are better options for an all-round monitor, and personally, I'd pick a ZR24w as the best price/performance + quality choice. It's an S-IPS panel with a very good RTC (response time compensation) algorithm, wonderful colors and black levels, and low input lag. A great all-rounder, and 24" is plenty, I believe.

When it comes to SSDs, the current king of the hill is the Crucial C300. Seeing how you'll save ~$650 just by ditching the 980X, you could even go for the 256GB version... Bear in mind, the Corsair Performance 3 series and the Crucial M4 series are due by the end of the month, if all goes as planned (last I heard), and they look to deliver notably better performance. Also worth noting is that using an SSD won't make mountains of difference compared to, say, a RAID0 of fast HDDs. Especially in games. But it does make the OS seem much more snappy... Dunno, if I had the money, I'd wait a bit till the new Marvel-based SSDs come out and then take one of those.

As for the HDD question, the Samsung offers superior performance and double the capacity at similar price to the WD you mentioned. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Finally, the PSU. I agree with rafal, Corsair AX850, if you plan on going SLI or heavy GPU overclocking (since I know you'll OC the CPU - you'd be silly not to). Seasonic X-650 otherwise.

And get a nice Noctua NH-D14 for your CPU, unless you plan on watercooling. H70 and similar solutions perform about on par with the Noctua, so when i say watercool, I mean a custom watercooling job... Personally, I'd leave it on air, since going beyond 4.6-5 GHz (depending on the quality of the specific CPU piece that you'll get) isn't really recommended for daily use (because it involves heavy overvolting). The Noctua can keep the Sandy Bridge plenty cool even at max stable everyday OC, barring using the computer for Folding or SETI or some heavy CPU-based rendering...

P.S. it may be a good idea to get an EVGA graphics card, they offered lifetime warranty (after free web registration), last time I checked...

Last edited by McSteel; 01-20-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2011
micro ATX User

well, basically I have about a $3000-3500 price range, and I want basically the best of everything I can get without going over my limit. I plan to play all games at the highest settings along with the highest resolution on the 27". I wanted that 27 inch cause 1) it has LED Backlight. 2) It has speakers + webcame. 3) It has great contrast ratio + 2ms Response Time which seems legit for gaming. I also love perfect picture quality on big screens all the more to love I could say!

As for the SSD, I chose that over a 1TB HDD, due to the fact that they are supposedly a lot faster than your regular HDDs. I chose that particular one just because it got some great reviews on Newegg. I was reading a lot of other ones and I was seeing a lot of failure on some SSDs after a few months of use, or complaints of it slowing down after time. I just want the best possible PC that can handle any game out today, and tomorrow on MAX Settings, if not then damn near close.

Oh and I chose the Lanboy Air due to its Modular Design, The Handles at the top for mobility (I Lan a lot so my PC is mobile usually on the weekends), the design of the case looks awesome. Also too it's Water Cooling Ready if I decide to ever invest into that. And the Mesh layout of the Case seems pretty legit! I kinda fell in love with it I guess haha. :]
Old 01-20-2011
micro ATX User

Yea for the Vid Card I was thinking of picking an EVGA instd for the warrenty. The only problem I'll have with switching out Mobos is if it's easy to OC as it as with the Rampage III Gene states? I've never done this before and I have noooo idea how it works lol. The only thing I'd worry about is "attempting" to OC my stuff and having it explode on me or something lol.

As for the Lanboy, you don't think the fans inside would blow out some of the air / dust to have less of it inside?

You're right about the SSD, due to the SATA 3.0 correct? I know the one I have chosen doesn't support 3.0, only 2.0. I was considering running 2 HDDs in Raid 0, compared to 1x SSD, but I wasn't sure how much of a performance difference it would be. Also I have no idea how to do this whole Raid 0 setup either. I know about it, just nothing on setting these things up.
Old 01-20-2011
Naughty

You can flush those contrast ratio claims down the toilet, they are utter and complete LIES, nothing more, nothing less. Contrast is the ratio between the lightness of the darkest black and the whitest white. A good quality TN+Film panel such as the one in the Asus you mentioned, has a black point of about 0.32 cd/m^2. Let's say it can achieve 270 cd/m^2 at it's white point, without the colors seeming too washed-out. That gives an astounding contrast ratio of ~844:1. And I say astounding because usually it's mostly around 650:1.

27" is no good for gaming since the monitor can't fit into your field of vision. You'd have to sit 4 feet from it to see it properly, and that's inconvenient. Trust me, 24" is more than enough for most purposes.

S-IPS panels are known for their accurate color representation, wide viewing angles (meaning you don't have to sit directly in front, looking at the center of the screen for the picture to appear good), and deep black levels (instead of black seeming dark gray). The HP I recommend also uses an 8-bit/channel panel, as opposed to Asus' 6-bit/channel. The difference here is in the number of colors the panel can actually show. They both use RGB method (red-green-blue), meaning three channels (subpixels) per pixel. Asus thus can show 2^(3*6) = 262.144 colors. It then uses dithering (both spatial and temporal) to get up to ~16.2 million of apparent colors. The HP can show all 2^(3*8) = 16.777.216 "true" colors (not gained by dither).

LED backlight only serves to make the monitor thinner and a tad cooler during operation, but that's about it. Monitors using LED Triads are a different story, they're made to show wide color gamuts and are upwards of $800, meant for professional use (designers, photographers, etc).

You won't see much difference past the level load time by using an SSD vs an HDD. If you really must use one, go for the C300, or wait a bit for an M4 from Crucial (Micron) or a Corsair P3.

As for the Lanboy, well, if that's the case (pardon the pun), then get that one. Just be prepared to clean it regularly, if you want to stay in love with it.

## EDIT ##

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRRUS XIII View Post
Yea for the Vid Card I was thinking of picking an EVGA instd for the warrenty. The only problem I'll have with switching out Mobos is if it's easy to OC as it as with the Rampage III Gene states? I've never done this before and I have noooo idea how it works lol. The only thing I'd worry about is "attempting" to OC my stuff and having it explode on me or something lol.

As for the Lanboy, you don't think the fans inside would blow out some of the air / dust to have less of it inside?
Overclocking a Sandy Bridge is immensely simpler and easier than any other CPU up until now. You just set a CPU frequency multiplier to your desired value and try it out. If it fails, give the CPU a bit more voltage, then try again. Resulting frequency will be a multiple of the 100 MHz base frequency of the Ring Bus, meaning if you set a 47x multi, your CPU will run at 4.7 GHz. Also, the BIOS is actually a UEFI, with graphical user interface, mouse controls, etc...

The fans will keep some of the dust on themselves, and most of the dust in the case. If you set the fans so that more of them blow the air out than in, then you create a negative air pressure zone inside, and air gets in through the mesh of the case, bringing dust in. If you do the opposite, air will be escaping through the mesh, but the fans themselves will get dust inside. Either way, cleaning duty. It's not like you don't clean the cases that do have filters, but when those are removable and washable, it takes all of 30 seconds to complete the task, with nearly zero effort...
Old 01-20-2011
micro ATX User

Right on, thanks man. This is some good quality info right here. My original Processor that I was going to grab, was the Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz. From the sounds of it, it seems pretty good for gaming, not too shabby on the price either compared to the 980x.
Old 01-20-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRRUS XIII View Post
Oh and I chose the Lanboy Air due to its Modular Design, The Handles at the top for mobility (I Lan a lot so my PC is mobile usually on the weekends), the design of the case looks awesome. Also too it's Water Cooling Ready if I decide to ever invest into that. And the Mesh layout of the Case seems pretty legit! I kinda fell in love with it I guess haha. :]
I'm using the LANboy Air, and I can tell you: it has some good ideas, but the execution needs a lot of work. Most annoying thing: NOISE. Any fans inside your case will sound ten times louder than if you had a normal case. In my Antec 900 I couldn't hear my 4870's fan until it hit about 65%--in the LANboy I can hear it at 35%. In addition, some of the panels will vibrate and make annoying buzzing sounds so you have to slap them or otherwise adjust them to make them stop. Also, the hard drive suspension mounting is cool... for a STATIONAY case. If you move the case around the hard drives may bang into each other, meaning that giving this case handles is stupid, since moving the case around risks damage to your hard drives. Cable management also needs some work. As for the modularity, being able to switch the position of the motherboard and PSU would be a great idea--as a minor feature for one of their other cases. The other modularity features just aren't that big a deal, aren't worth messing with.

Otherwise the finish is great, the build quality is decent, the case fans have a good CFM:noise ratio, and I like that you can adjust the fan speed of the front fans; this needs to be integrated into one fan controller for all five stock fans though. The looks aren't too bad for this style (I prefer the minimalist look).
Old 01-20-2011
micro ATX User

hmm well since my Desktop won't be Stationary, maybe I should possibly re-think my Case, I wouldn't want to damage my SSD or HDDs :^[. Also too I was hoping that the fans inside wouldn't be noticeable while keeping the case relatively cool, but if you can hear the noise and such, then im not too sure, especially if the case rattles some of the panels.
Old 01-20-2011
Flux Capacitor User

The 2.5" (SSD and mobile HDD) mounting is excellent, actually. They screw into the bottom of the case, with silicone washers (which are kind of pointless with SSDs, but whatever).

I like the fact that you can control some of the fans; that the mobo and PSU can be swapped; that there's a little box built in to store screws and such.

If they combined those features, the HDD mounting system from the Solo / NSK series, the style of cable management that Corsair is offering on their cases, had a built in fan controller hub, and implemented all of this into their existing P180/P190 lineup they could have one of the best cases in the world. Especially if they packaged it with like a CP-850 or HCP-750.