jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 11-19-2010
1kW User

Default Cougar GX-1050 Design Comparison

The German tech site Planet3DNow has posted a design comparison (and review) of a 1050w unit from Cougar's GX line-up. It's translated from German using Google Translate, which (as we all know) isn't terribly accurate all the time. Anyway, I found it pretty interesting. One thing I found strange is that the unit has six +12v rails at 25a each (which isn't strange in itself), but the sticker labels each rail as "+12V4". Weird. It's a nice looking unit, and is totally modular except for the standard hard-wired cables: 20/24pin main mobo power, CPU power, etc. Check out the article using this link:
http://translate.google.com/translat...p%3Ft%3D388131
Old 11-19-2010
Danke schön

The label is probably just a goof.

Either way, voltage regulation leaves something to be desired (though it looks to be group regulated) ripple is nice and low though.
Old 11-19-2010
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The label is probably just a goof.

Either way, voltage regulation leaves something to be desired (though it looks to be group regulated) ripple is nice and low though.
...Apart from the 5V going out of spec at full power.

I'll probably never warm up to HEC. And I'll never like their approach (which is always a step behind and a notch below others, ironically, since the HEC name supposedly stands for "High-quality Evolution Commitment"). I know it's a bias, and because of it I'm harsher than usual when assessing their PSUs or cases, but really, they are yet to impress with performance, and the only thing they may end up having going for them is price/performance ratio in the "MEH" segment of the market... Maybe they should change their name to MEH/Compucase.
Old 11-19-2010
Banned

so if a psu says corsair, youre gonna expect it to be pirate-ish? mm-hmm ok. and you will expect ant ANTec psu to look like an ant? lol im teasing u irl (or non-irl tbh)
Old 11-19-2010
Danke schön

50.7mv is not terrible, it's only just over spec and it's not like it's not something they can't tone up.

If I remember right, some early BFG ES-800's had problems with the 5v rail that they fixed after it was discovered.

If HEC was smart they would look at reviews and really try; though they've come long strides with the Cougar brand in the last few years.
Old 11-20-2010
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
And I'll never like their approach (which is always a step behind and a notch below others, ironically, since the HEC name supposedly stands for "High-quality Evolution Commitment").
I think some genius just added that to the tagline for marketing... AFAIK they're actually called Heiroshi Electronics Company
Old 11-20-2010
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I think some genius just added that to the tagline for marketing... AFAIK they're actually called Heiroshi Electronics Company
Kind of like LG is Lucky Goldstar but for the last few years has been pushing Life's Good instead
Old 11-20-2010
Banned

oops. i always firgues it was LG Life's Good. oh well,

...i do not think hec is making very good decisions. ovbiously, they can make a halfway decent, if not quite good, power supply. they just need to stop minimizing costs and make sure they do very thoroguh testing. then they will have something good that will make people start recommending hec. but it's hec. of course they wont do that
Old 11-20-2010
Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!

HEC is kind of annoying. They can make a good unit, and they come very close to it, but it always falls short and they don't do anything about it.