jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 11-04-2010
500W User

This is my only computer with DDR3 and I have no extra memory so I can't test that out. I will try a module at a time, and different banks.
Old 11-04-2010
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty View Post
This is my only computer with DDR3 and I have no extra memory so I can't test that out. I will try a module at a time, and different banks.
Perhaps you could take them to a friend, who does have a DDR3 MoBo and some spare time, or something... Just sayin'.
Old 11-04-2010
500W User

They fail both one at a time and in banks 2 and 3. So there is no way to tell if this is a RAM or mobo issue just from a memtest failure?
Old 11-04-2010
Naughty

Quote:
They fail both one at a time and in banks 2 and 3. So there is no way to tell if this is a RAM or mobo issue just from a memtest failure?
Unfortunately, you just can't be certain. It could be an incompatibility issue between the board and the memory, and even if they're both working individually, they could be malfunctioning when paired.

Probably the most feasible option at this time is an RMA, you just need to figure out if you'll ask for the same RAM model, or a different one, that they tested with your board, or with other, similar Gigabyte board models... Try to get a hold of a DDR3-capable board, and/or different DDR3 to try to rule out if either the board or the RAM is defective. If the RAM works in other board(s) and your board works with other RAM, you could maybe swap memories with the friend who helped you test, or, request different RAM from either the retailer you bought from, or G-Skill itself.

Sorry I couldn't help more, and good luck with solving your problem...
Old 11-04-2010
500W User

No problem. Thanks for the help.

Actually I noticed the minimum DRAM voltage on the board is 1.6V not 1.5V. I don't suppose that could cause problems though? Although I've had this PC for a year and this issue only came up fairly recently.

Last edited by rty; 11-04-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2010
Naughty

Quote:
No problem. Thanks for the help.

Actually I noticed the minimum DRAM voltage on the board is 1.6V not 1.5V. I don't suppose that could cause problems though?
Not really, the chips used on this particular RAM are made to work on 1.65V, but at 2x667 they can (most of the time) make do with 1.5V
If you were to downclock them to, say, 2x533, you could probably get away with even a bit lower than that.
This is, sadly, most likely a compatibility (or lack thereof) issue. This is why most board manufacturers, Gigabyte included, provide a QVL (qualified vendors list), which states what memory modules the in-house testers checked against the board. According to their list, even though a number of G.Skill modules were tested, yours was not one of them...
Old 11-04-2010
500W User

When I tried one stick at a time they did produce errors at different points during the test. Does that tell me anything? One had an error almost right away and the second stick ran about 30% of the tests before it produced an error. If it is a compatibility issue and the sticks are identical shouldn't they have the same errors?
Old 11-04-2010
Naughty

Quote:
When I tried one stick at a time they did produce errors at different points during the test. Does that tell me anything? One had an error almost right away and the second stick ran about 30% of the tests before it produced an error. If it is a compatibility issue and the sticks are identical shouldn't they have the same errors?
Re-running the test which encountered the error, do you get the error at the same point on the same module? If so, then the modules are most likely faulty. If not, they're just partially incompatible, or even the memory controller is failing for some strange reason...

At any rate, please re-test, and see if you can replicate the (nearly) exact result more than 2 times. Should you be able to, it would mean you have pinpointed the error within each module.
Old 11-05-2010
500W User

I ran some tests today one stick at a time and this time one of the sticks passed, the other one produced the same error 3 times. lol
Old 11-05-2010
Banned

Run an overnight test on the one that passed. Replace the other