jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 09-11-2010
Always flying too high!

Default Blue screen with hotswap = PSU problem?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with my system, and have always loved the reviews and info here so thought I'd try my luck in finding help here!

I currently have a Corsair HX650W psu, and when I run two or three hdds off one molex (daisy chained to the hotswap brackets on my Silverstone FT02 case,) and I try to hotswap one, it will lock up and blue screen on me. If I put them on seperate molex connectors, it works fine. I've contacted Corsair and they just said to leave it in seperate connectors, but I rather use just one if I can for cable neatness etc. Also I will be swapping all this equipement over to a Lain Li X2000F I just got this weekend too with a custom window so want to use as little and hide as much as I can, and mainly this new case has three hotswap backplanes that have three drives each and only one molex each...

I do have AHCI drivers installed and working correctly it looks like, I don't think my system is to much for the psu (system is in signature, using the SS FT02 case right now and will swap over this weekend to the Lian-Li.)

As mentioned it works fine if they are on different molex connectors. I've replaced two of the three hdd's as we thought it might have them at first.
I've reinstalled the OS many times in hopes different drivers would fix it but it really looks like a psu problem...

Should I buy a different psu?

Sorry, for the long first post and thanks in advance for all the help,
Ick
i7 4790k 32GB Kingston HyperX MSI Gaming 5 2x Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming-4GD in SLI HP ZR30w + Samsung 275T 4x240GB Intel 530 SSD's in Raid 0 + 1GB WD Black Lian Li X2000F Antec Signature SG-850 BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Logitech Z5500 Win7pro 64bit

Last edited by Icarus; 09-11-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2010
1kW User

No solution but I can report the same behavior on my setup
I've got 1x Raptor 150GB HDD
And 3x WD RE2-GP 1TB HDD's connected to a LSI 8704ELP controller in RAID5 mode

I tried once to add a laptop HDD to the mainboards own built in SATA ports, but as soon as I plugged in the SATA power cable the system bluescreened, upon reboot the RAID array came up as degraded, so had to be rebuilt...

A few months later I again tried to add a 3.5" HDD with the system running, this time I could hear two of the drives in my RAID array spin down, upon reboot after BSOD the array came up as FAILED (since 2/3 HDD's had been marked faulty by the controller)
Now luckily there was no damage, I just had to mark the harddrives as not faulty and I could go on with my business
Lets just say after this I have stopped hot swapping my harddrives!
PSU is Corsair TX650W (CMPSU-650TXEU)
Old 09-11-2010
Site Founder

Well, it seems that maybe one of the other drives doesn't like the sudden increase in voltage when the resistance of having to power another drive is removed. Not sure how you'd easily address that though. You could put a capacitor in line with each drive. Or make your own power cable for the drives using a heavier gauge of wire.
Old 09-11-2010
Always flying too high!

hmm, I don't want to get into rewiring the power supply, but I have a tons of caps here if you might be able to elaborate on that procedure?
I think this new Lian-Li case might have some on the power plug already? It has two backplanes with two sata connectors on each, and a third with three sata connectors. On the two double ones, the molex connector on each has a cap on either side (2x 100uF). On one with three sata connectors it still only has two caps and one molex plug (2x100uF as well.) The SS case I don't see any...

I am not liking this psu very much at all really. The cables although all black which is nice to look at, are a pain to plug in (the molex connectors) and I've broken a fan controller plug-in and a few fans becasue of this no matter how gentle I try to be they push the pins out and bend them.

Should I buy a different psu and ditch this one?
i7 4790k 32GB Kingston HyperX MSI Gaming 5 2x Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming-4GD in SLI HP ZR30w + Samsung 275T 4x240GB Intel 530 SSD's in Raid 0 + 1GB WD Black Lian Li X2000F Antec Signature SG-850 BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Logitech Z5500 Win7pro 64bit
Old 09-11-2010
Flux Capacitor User

run the drives on their own connectors. I understand the desire to reduce cable clutter, but there's no guarantee a PSU swap will solve the problem.
Old 09-12-2010
Always flying too high!

I'm about to start the swap to the new Lain-Li case now. I'll post back once I get it all going if it still does it with the different backplanes in this case compared to the old...

Thanks for the tips and info all, please keep it coming as I'm still not sure wether to replace this psu or not
Old 09-13-2010
Always flying too high!

eh, now I can't get hot swap to work at all
If I have them on the same molex it blue screens still, but if i's not it won't do anything now, I don't know what's wrong anymore... I did notice now that if it's on seperate cables, and I go to device manager and scan for new hardware it will show up. I thought hotswap was automatic or is it still not right?

Last edited by Icarus; 09-13-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2010
1kW User

AFAIK hotswap with SATA is quite picky. You have to make sure the hardware supports it and the OS plays nicely with it (write caching and such). The HDDs should show up as removable devices if hotswap is configured properly, to my knowledge (may be outdated ).
Old 09-13-2010
Site Founder

The motherboard's BIOS has to support it too, and even if it supports it it might be a toggle in the BIOS.
Old 09-13-2010
Always flying too high!

It's all set in bios (AHCI) and Asus says that is all thats needed, and the drives are all new Western Digital Blacks and a smaller Hitaichi for back up, thou it does it no matter which I try to swap. When they do show up, they are shown as removable drives and the safely remove hardware works then...
Maybe I should try an eSata enclosure for one and try that way with the eSata plug on the MB? I'm about ready to toss this all in the trash...