jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-15-2006
500W User

Default So is there any silent top-tier build?

I am still puzzled. Since I now know that the Silverstone Olympia 1KW won't be silent either, I was willing to buy whatever PSU is
a) a top-tier maker (aka better than Seasonic)
b) silent

I don't even insist on ninja macho wattage at this point.

But I don't see a single PSU like that
Old 12-15-2006
Pinball Wizard

Most of the really top tier PSU's have moved down from places where noise is pretty irrelevant so finding a silent one better than Seasonic is going to be difficult IMO.
Old 12-15-2006
500W User

the only top-tier PSU with any semblence of silence apparently is the PCP&C new 1000 turbocool SR, but it costs something like $550. The second best would be the silverstone zeus 850, which is pretty quiet when idling apparently.
Old 12-15-2006
500W User

I had the PCP&C 1KW, the model before they joined the rails, which I found has an annoying tone to it and wouldn't be what I want.

It is my understanding that when they joined the rails they did not change anything about noise-relevant details. Can anybody confirm this?

I guess it goes back to me modding my Zippy 700W. The Zeus 750W is not a Seasonic OEM, right?
Old 12-15-2006
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terru View Post
the only top-tier PSU with any semblence of silence apparently is the PCP&C new 1000 turbocool SR....
I don't agree. That Zeus is quieter than the Turbo Cool. Hell... The Zeus is even quieter than the so called Silencer from what I hear!

I'm going to say the quietest thing in that range is going to be the Silverstone Zeus/Etasis units.

I'm perfectly happy using "tier 2" myself.
Old 12-15-2006
500W User

See, this is why I spend my time on PSU forums. Never has there been a more confusing and contradictory time in computing history! At least everyone knows what video card they want...

Sometimes Jonny, I get the feeling that you host this site just to laugh at our confusion, while you sit in front of your TV and use an xbox360 for all your computing needs

Also, excuse my ignorance about the pcp&c PSU, I just assumed that the new "silenced" PSU would be quiet after reading its specs. I mean, where else do they get that huge price tag from? A mystery!
Old 12-15-2006
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terru View Post
Also, excuse my ignorance about the pcp&c PSU, I just assumed that the new "silenced" PSU would be quiet after reading its specs. I mean, where else do they get that huge price tag from? A mystery!
It certainly is silent compared to similar PSUs designed in the same timeframe, which are all brutal server PSUs. It's a pretty old design by now.

But compared to what the home PSU class has for noise it is not. And the home class these days has quite a bit of power at at least acceptable quality.

But what is missing is something as silent as a 120mm home build but constructed with best parts for highest life expectancy and best protection for your components.
Old 12-15-2006
500W User

I found the Zeus 850W quite loud... Loud compared to the Hipro TypeR 730 modular.
Old 12-15-2006
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampak View Post
I found the Zeus 850W quite loud... Loud compared to the Hipro TypeR 730 modular.
I agree.

But the Hiper is Tier 2, not Tier 1 (on my list.)

But like I said, I'm perfectly happy with a quiet tier 2.
Old 12-16-2006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
It certainly is silent compared to similar PSUs designed in the same timeframe, which are all brutal server PSUs. It's a pretty old design by now.

But compared to what the home PSU class has for noise it is not. And the home class these days has quite a bit of power at at least acceptable quality.

But what is missing is something as silent as a 120mm home build but constructed with best parts for highest life expectancy and best protection for your components.
Whose going to pay for that?
It would be at least more expensive than any PSU on the market...
You must remember most people who post asking for pSU suggestions also for some reason post what they would like to spend...lolol