jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > The Gaming Forum

The Gaming Forum Discuss computer and console games and gaming here

Old 06-23-2010
Flux Capacitor User

Default Sacrifice

I remember picking up this game for $15 out of the bargain bin in 2003 (it was a 2000 release) and thinking it was a really cool game, but I didn't really get it at the time, being much younger and mainly interested in Halo. The combination of my weak computer, bugs related to my X300 graphics card, and lack of interest led to me not playing it after the first couple weeks. However, I could see and acknowledge the quality.

Just today I found it on Steam, for a measly $10. I recalled interesting gameplay, good graphics (for a 2000 title), and a fantastic storyline and characters. I bought it immediately. And I'm not disappointed.

Imagine an RTS, only with minimal resource management and base construction. Imagine a third-person fantasy RPG, without the whole Diablo-style loot and leveling system. Combine those with an excellently told storyline with a genuine unexpected twist, a five-way moral choice system, and professional voice acting. That's Sacrifice.

I'm not going to go into the details of the gameplay; watch Youtube for that. The controls could use a little work; mainly I dislike the over-reliance on the mouse to cast spells and such, rather than being able to bind them to hotkeys. Also, the graphics are dated and the game lacks support for modern large widescreen resolutions, and I don't think supports any 16:10 resolutions.

However, despite these shortcomings I think it's well worth $10, since you can easily get at least five replays out of it, and the characterization of the five gods is simply superb, enough so that you'll want to play through each campaign just to learn more about them. Give this game a graphical makeover and some control tweaking and it would easily be among my top ten favorites.
Old 07-06-2010
Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
I remember picking up this game for $15 out of the bargain bin in 2003 (it was a 2000 release) and thinking it was a really cool game, but I didn't really get it at the time, being much younger and mainly interested in Halo. The combination of my weak computer, bugs related to my X300 graphics card, and lack of interest led to me not playing it after the first couple weeks. However, I could see and acknowledge the quality.

Just today I found it on Steam, for a measly $10. I recalled interesting gameplay, good graphics (for a 2000 title), and a fantastic storyline and characters. I bought it immediately. And I'm not disappointed.

Imagine an RTS, only with minimal resource management and base construction. Imagine a third-person fantasy RPG, without the whole Diablo-style loot and leveling system. Combine those with an excellently told storyline with a genuine unexpected twist, a five-way moral choice system, and professional voice acting. That's Sacrifice.

I'm not going to go into the details of the gameplay; watch Youtube for that. The controls could use a little work; mainly I dislike the over-reliance on the mouse to cast spells and such, rather than being able to bind them to hotkeys. Also, the graphics are dated and the game lacks support for modern large widescreen resolutions, and I don't think supports any 16:10 resolutions.

However, despite these shortcomings I think it's well worth $10, since you can easily get at least five replays out of it, and the characterization of the five gods is simply superb, enough so that you'll want to play through each campaign just to learn more about them. Give this game a graphical makeover and some control tweaking and it would easily be among my top ten favorites.
What's "this game"?
o.o

I see no mention of a name anywhere.

EDIT: Doh. Sacrifice. lol

I'll check it out.

Last edited by PowMaxed; 07-06-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: kapow.