jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Site Suggestions & Forum Issues

Site Suggestions & Forum Issues Feel free to offer up constructive criticism of the site here. Any suggestions for the forums (like adding more forums) or issues with the forums can be discussed here too

Old 03-15-2010
Trabant Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
To be fair, PC P&C isn't to blame for the part number issue, according to themselves and OCZ. They probably came that way from the factory.
Yes, but to be UNFAIR, PC P&C did offer these things for sale.
Their name is on the front, it's their baby.

Maybe they want to be innocent victims of an unscrupulous Vendor, but shouldn't they have opened one up at some point and looked around?
Their name and reputation is on the line and they blew it.

Especially before sending not one but two off for review?

I still think they knew about most of it,
Unfair Keri
Old 03-15-2010
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriJane View Post
One thing to consider: the Standby power in your PSU, Monitor and anything else connected to UPS is always on and exposed to the UPS power even if you set the computer to shut down very soon after power goes out.
True, but that doesn't make a difference outside of draining the UPS' reserves, and if the hardware is all off, it doesn't matter if the standby power is cut off.
Quote:
If the square wave or inadequately "stepped" stepped square wave of cheaper UPSes damages your 5vsb circuits in the PSU, you still need inconvenient and expensive repairs.
Stepped sine wave UPSes will not damage anything in the PSU.
Quote:
For me, I'll stick with the better protection that Sine Wave UPSes offer.
Keri
The waveform does not affect the amount of protection provided by the UPS. That is determined by its other features.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 03-15-2010
Trabant Comrade

Hi Zero82z

Really, I'm not trying to provoke an argument. Honest!

I'm only moderately knowledgeable about electronics and the effects of wave pattern upon devices designed around a sine wave alternating current or voltage.

Some of these "Stepped Sine Wave" UPSes reportedly have only ONE extra step (in addition to a simple square wave)!
Or so I read somewhere. Are you saying that in all cases that is enough to protect all devices meant for sine waves?

I agree that if there be enough steps, a close approximation of a sine wave can be had that shouldn't cause any problem. How many steps is "close enough"? Aren't there also some with symmetry problems?

I wasn't trying to imply that tiny Standby currents could run down a UPS very quickly. But some computers (and monitors, TVs, DVD players, etc..) have poorly designed 5vsb circuits that are very prone to failure. A PSU company named "Bestec" was infamous for this.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree that any significantly not stepped enough or asymmetric waveform won't affect anything you might plug into a UPS.

If I'm wrong it certainly won't be the first time.

The "Other Features" you speak of generally improve with more expensive units don't they?
Things like response time, surge protection and the ability to deal with under/over voltage? Or am I missing something else again?

Really, I'm asking to learn not to provoke.

Thanks for any insights,
Keri
Old 03-16-2010
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Hi Zero82z

Really, I'm not trying to provoke an argument. Honest
I'm not trying to argue. I'm sorry if it seems that way, but it's a little difficult to convey tone over the internet. That was not my intention at all.
Quote:
I'm only moderately knowledgeable about electronics and the effects of wave pattern upon devices designed around a sine wave alternating current or voltage.

Some of these "Stepped Sine Wave" UPSes reportedly have only ONE extra step (in addition to a simple square wave)!
Or so I read somewhere. Are you saying that in all cases that is enough to protect all devices meant for sine waves?
What I'm saying is that the waveform has absolutely nothing to do with the UPS' protection circuitry in the first place. The waveform and the protection provided are two separate things.
Quote:
I agree that if there be enough steps, a close approximation of a sine wave can be had that shouldn't cause any problem. How many steps is "close enough"? Aren't there also some with symmetry problems?
PSUs rectify AC current into DC. The input waveform is not especially critical, since PSUs are designed specifically to filter out any ripple and output as flat a waveform as possible. I would imagine an input voltage with a different frequency might have an effect on the output, but I don't see any reason why a simulated sine wave input would cause any changes of note in the output of a PSU.
Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that tiny Standby currents could run down a UPS very quickly. But some computers (and monitors, TVs, DVD players, etc..) have poorly designed 5vsb circuits that are very prone to failure. A PSU company named "Bestec" was infamous for this.
The Bestec +5VSB problem was due to a design flaw, nothing more.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I cannot agree that any significantly not stepped enough or asymmetric waveform won't affect anything you might plug into a UPS.
Asymmetric? I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Anyway, the same thing applies.
Quote:
The "Other Features" you speak of generally improve with more expensive units don't they?
Things like response time, surge protection and the ability to deal with under/over voltage? Or am I missing something else again?
Better-quality UPSes most certainly do have more robust protection features.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 03-19-2013
500W User

Was just about to make a thread when spotted this one. You guys definitely should try for more UPS reviews! Went through a phase about six months back where had nothing but trouble from one unit... and the one I replaced it with has its own quirks.