The Gaming Forum Discuss computer and console games and gaming here

Old 10-06-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
www.gog.com
Is selling and Incredible Machine Mega Pack DRM free download for $10.00
I know, I bought it.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 10-11-2009
200W User

1. Harpoon: 1989 strategy/tactics simulation that still works well today.

2. Doom II: Later true 3d OpenGL graphics mods extended lifespan.

3. Mechwarrior II: Novel music soundtrack enhanced game atmosphere.

4. Duke Nukem 3D: Loved the perpetual irreverence.

5. Quake: Eerie game atmosphere supported by neat period game art.

6. Unreal: Another music soundtrack that added to game immersion.

7. Half Life: True positional audio with A3D helped game play.

8. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Stealth finally really started to matter.

9. Far Cry: Really felt like the tropics with better stealth features.

10. Bioshock: Fun dual weapons classes and nostalgic game atmosphere.

11. Crysis: Harsh hardware needs, but gorgeously realistic visuals.

OK, I know it's more than five. Listed in order of time. Tough to pick out only the best five of these for me. Free user created single player mods and maps extended the life of Doom 2, Quake, Unreal, Half Life and Far Cry significantly in my case. I guess that would have to be my top five, if I had to limit myself.

I thought that Quake, Far Cry and Crysis all caused the hardware industry to have to respond due to the hardware requirements of those three games at the time of their respective releases. They sure caused me to upgrade sooner than I would have otherwise.

While graphics seem to get the most attention, sound modeling and background music can sometimes do more to enhance game mood, atmosphere and overall player immersion. I always regretted when Creative bought out Aureal and killed A3D. At the time, EAX was a far inferior sound modeling engine. Probably not needed now with Open Al and custom in-game software audio rendering. Now, you can just take your basic motherboard audio and push it digitally to a decent 5.1-7.1 receiver with corresponding speakers and you have all the high quality positional audio you will ever need. They even do a good job of simulating 3d audio over headphones.

Good topic. Sorry for the lengthy response.

r/
Mike
Asrock x58 Deluxe, Intel i7-975 @ 4.021ghz (134x30), 12gb (6x2gb) Corsair XMS3 1600, Dual nVidia GTX480 in SLI, GTX285 Physx, 2 x WD Caviar Black 1tb Raid-0, Lite-On iHES108 BD-DVD-RW, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion PCIe, BFG EX1200 PSU, Scythe Mungen 2 Rev B CPU Cooler, CoolerMaster Sniper Tower, Samsung 2443BWX 24" LCD, Logitech G19 Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Windows 7 Professional x64.
Old 10-11-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrestine View Post
8. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Stealth finally really started to matter.
I wouldn't really consider RTCW a stealth game.

Thief, Deus Ex, Hitman and Metal Gear Solid did it before RTCW.

I'd say even No One Lives Forever was more of a stealth game than RTCW

The Original Castle Wolfenstein on Apple II however WAS a stealth game
Old 10-12-2009
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
I wouldn't really consider RTCW a stealth game.

Thief, Deus Ex, Hitman and Metal Gear Solid did it before RTCW.

I'd say even No One Lives Forever was more of a stealth game than RTCW

The Original Castle Wolfenstein on Apple II however WAS a stealth game
True. RTCW was just the first one I played where it made a difference, albeit a small one. It was a start at least for me. I tried Thief once and really liked it, again for the stealth implementation as well as the period art. Never finished Thief, but wished that I would have stuck with it. Same for Desu Ex. Tried it and never finished it. I'm sure I probably missed out on both.
Asrock x58 Deluxe, Intel i7-975 @ 4.021ghz (134x30), 12gb (6x2gb) Corsair XMS3 1600, Dual nVidia GTX480 in SLI, GTX285 Physx, 2 x WD Caviar Black 1tb Raid-0, Lite-On iHES108 BD-DVD-RW, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion PCIe, BFG EX1200 PSU, Scythe Mungen 2 Rev B CPU Cooler, CoolerMaster Sniper Tower, Samsung 2443BWX 24" LCD, Logitech G19 Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Windows 7 Professional x64.
Old 12-29-2009
Fast Puter User

I like Crysis and COD4. I can play crysis on high settings with no AA just fine.
CPU- AMD 5000+ X2 OC @ 3 ghz
RAM- 2gb DDR-2 800 RAM
HD- 500gb Seagate 7200.11
GPU- Radeon 4870HD
Old 01-24-2010
micro ATX User

I'm looking for a Game update. My last game was Ghost Recon in 2001 that I loved. I have pretty good hardware, XFX 9800 GX2. If these are the top games. Which one should I get? Is Far Cry like a step up from Ghost Recon?
Old 01-24-2010
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abentex View Post
I'm looking for a Game update. My last game was Ghost Recon in 2001 that I loved. I have pretty good hardware, XFX 9800 GX2. If these are the top games. Which one should I get? Is Far Cry like a step up from Ghost Recon?
Never played Ghost Recon, but really liked Far Cry about as much as any game I've ever played. It hasn't been officially patched past version 1.4 and the default nVidia SLI settings for that game can cause problems with some SLI systems. I know your dual GPU video card is all in one slot, but the drivers and the game will still see it as SLI. I never took time to figure out what the problem SLI setting was in the drivers, but I'm sure somebody else has and a Google search should reveal something. If you get it and have problems, you may want to consider disabling the SLI feature in the nVidia control panel just for that game to see whether or not it helps. I've been able to play it just fine on modern nVidia non-SLI hardware, but have had trouble on several different SLI systems, both single slot dual GPU cards and true dual card SLI. Worth the trouble, I think, for someone who has never played the game. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2010
micro ATX User

Ghost Recon takes a different approach to the realistic shooter. Instead of putting the player in the role of a terrorist-response unit, you are part of a Green Beret battalion nicknamed the Ghosts. The missions in the game reflect this, being less terrorist-oriented and more concerned with military objectives.
Old 04-07-2010
500W User

Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Plants Vs. Zombies
Diablo II
Dungeons of Daggorath
Old 05-26-2010
LoS

hmm, interesting

TF2- spend all my current gaming time with it
Diablo 3- hehe, just going out on a limb and guessing it will be pure awesome