jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 10-02-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
Your lack of "hands-on" personal experience is showing, big time!

Hopefully, one of these years you will be able to do more than quote others, don't believe everything you read, not even here.
I used Win2K since prerelease and I was using it up until several years after XP came out. I also used XP, Vista, and Windows 7 starting from beta and sometimes alpha stages. Win2K had serious UI issues as well as major driver and hardware compatibility issues. It was never a mainstream OS as far as Microsoft was concerned and as such they never pushed for third-party driver support. That's why a lot of hardware and software that works fine in XP doesn't work properly in Win2K even though the OSes are very similar under the hood.

The OS also had a fair amount of stability and security issues and wasn't really solid until SP3 or so. Similar to how XP had gaping security holes until SP2 came out. Vista on the other had had a completely reworked security system, as well as a significantly improved driver model (which is unaffected by a lot of things that would cause catastrophic errors and BSODs in previous versions of Windows), major UI improvements in a lot of areas (although unfortunately some backward steps in several areas), massively better memory management and prefetching which provides huge performance boosts in systems with large amounts or RAM, and a lot of other smaller tweaks. Win7 basically just built on that, with UI refinements, a slightly better driver model, new version of WDDM that supports multiple video drivers active simultaneously, better battery life management for laptops, etc. However, it isn't anything revolutionary compared to Vista.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 10-02-2009
Flux Capacitor User

There is one specific feature of that sets it apart from XP, (Vista doesn't even count, as the majority of businesses skipped Vista), which is very important to a great many businesses!

Of course W2K was M$ first true Windows OS, as opposed to being just a shell on top of DOS, based on NT it opened the door for M$ in ways that all previous OS's could not & XP was for the most part just the natural evolution of W2K Pro.

Completely clueless, no business background, a child I guess.
Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Last edited by davidhammock200; 10-02-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
There is one specific feature of that sets it apart from XP, (Vista doesn't even count, as the majority of businesses skipped Vista), which is very important to a great many businesses!
Lots of businesses still use DOS software. That doesn't mean that it's good, only that it would cost a lot to transition to something better. With businesses, most of the time it's not about what's better but rather what's "good enough". As far as technical aspects go, there have only been improvements going from one version of Windows to the next since Win2K.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 10-06-2009
Banned

HI buddy
I have installed windows and Linux both.when i need to use Internet i use Linux and for other stuff i like windows..
Old 10-09-2009
Banned

Hi
I would advise Ubuntu as it is aimed at new users. Look around for a guide to set it up, as I feel that the install misses a few programs that I like.

The other reason for choosing Ubuntu is simply because it has a good package management system. Meaning, if you are looking for a program, you can use a program called "Synaptic Package Manager" and you will be able to find almost any program you want. No need to troll around the net for programs like windows. Although you might still need to search the net for some programs, but very rarely.

Something to keep in mind, the desktop for ubuntu is called Gnome. Linux has several desktops, so lots of themes. I don't like Gnome, it feels bloated as you will see from the menu. Use it for a while and I would advise you use Fluxbox, its nice and simple looking, but tricky to setup.
Old 09-09-2010
1kW User

From my own experience, after using W98/W98SE, then ME, W2K, and then came XP Pro.
I was very impressed with that even though many people on forums slated it and complained............I found it very hard to kill unlike previous windows versions, and it got better as updates and SP's were issued.

Then Vista came along and everyone then, and still do hate it.....I can't see why as to me is was an improvement on XP and a totally new experience.

All my hardware worked, generally all my old XP games worked so it was like XP only better.

Now I have W7 Home Prem. and from the start it was a bugger to install, with errors during the installation. I have since got it to install, but on every new installation I have a devil of a job to install the Creative driver pack for my X-Fi 5.1 external sound card..........Vista, no problem, Windows 7 (32 or 64bit) creates such a fuss with the software installed and then the remote for the card won't work.
I install initially with the original CD, and then apply the updated drivers etc from the Creative site, and it can take a couple of goes before they 'take'.
Honestly I prefer Vista as everything I use works on it, whereas W7 although it looks a bit more cute, doesn't really do a lot more.

On some games for example.........I like BF 2 and a MOD for it is called AIX2 which I like,
Now on Vista I can use the in-game settings and use 2X or 4X AA, but with W7 if I apply any AA when I open a map to play the ground is missing, so it is un-playable, so I have to go back to the options and turn off AA.

Everyone I see on the internet praises W7 to the heavens and how wonderful it is........well, from my own experience I beg to differ........it has a few fancy options, but that's about it....
Vista-64-(default OS)-Win7-64-Win8-64..Tt Armor+..HX1050..i7 920(stock)+Noctua U12..GA EX58 Extreme..6x1GB Corsair Dominator... 2 x GA 6870OC CF..onboard sound..2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors..1 x Samsung 1TB F3..1 x WD 1TB..1 x 500GB Caviar Green..Samsung T220(22")..Dell 2408WFP(24").
Old 01-20-2012
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
No it doesn't, it's as fragile as Windows (maybe more).
The thing is that the OSX users were to few so that a virus doesn't make any sense, cause who should it attack??

Thats changing now, so there are some people out there who gonna make the life of a MAC User miserable with virusses and other things that ain't good at all...

I've tried OSX too but I was very disapointet of it, especially 'cause the Mac fans do hype it that much.
Well it isn't as good as people are saying it is.
The biggest problem is that you don't have a maximize button and you'll have to pay for almost anything that's free on other systems...

And, well, the performance isn't good either, so you'll have a slow operating system, you can't use for more than chatting/internet without paying for aditional software, even the 'integrated' quicktime player doesn't support fullscreen playback.
And if you don't like iTunes, you're really fucked cause there is no other music player with playlists out there...

Well there were good things like the keyboard layout and Adium x wich is In my oppinion the best IM programm.
That's all just bollocks, Stefan. More errors in your comment than I care to mess with. But the Windows System Registry is core to Windows and that's like building a house on sand in an earthquake zone.
Old 01-21-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phut View Post
That's all just bollocks, Stefan. More errors in your comment than I care to mess with. But the Windows System Registry is core to Windows and that's like building a house on sand in an earthquake zone.
Replying to 3 years old post.. Seriously?
Old 01-23-2012
Flux Capacitor User

I'll just add the necro, and give a shout out to Windows NT4
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)