jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 06-23-2009
micro ATX User

Default Which one is best OS

What is your views about the operating system like Window, OSX and Linux. According to me Windows is better for some things, OSX is better for some things and Linux is better for some things.
Old 07-10-2009
Dangerous

"Best" is all a matter of what you do and your personal opinion/experience.

For gaming, it's Windows hands down.
Old 07-20-2009
Trabant Comrade

Default Which OS is Which?

Of the 3 major divisions of OS I like OSX best.
I've tried all three.

Windows is indeed better at Gaming.
But I'm not a Gamer (other than Zuma)
Windows also has the largest selection of software for darn near anything.
On the other hand, I view Windows as a particularly stupid 3-year old. Why? Tell it to poke it's eye out and it will do just that. Hackers think that's funny.
So you have to buy an invasive Anti-Everything program to protect Windows from the Bullies. And itself.

Putting up with the troubles and Activation ruined "The Windows User Experience" for me. It's just too broken. Probably from trying to be everything for everyone, it's a jack of all trades and master of none.

Linux is least expensive and most configurable. Nearly immune to bad stuff too. I like the concept of Open Source where peeps can modify and improve as they see fit.
But I lack the talent to use it effectively though I tried and tried.

OSX has the advantages of Linux plus it's "Finished" for you. Also there's plenty of commercially available software. All you have to do is buy a Mac. Or hack it if you prefer.

Macs don't offer a lot in the way of Gaming. Mac hardware isn't really "up to it" either. I say "so what?" Buy a PS3 if you want to play games.

My Mac does what I want it to and does it well with no fuss.

Have Fun,
Keri
Old 10-01-2009
micro ATX User

Hi Everyone..

My top 3 reasons why Windows is better than Linux (in no particular order).

1) Applications
2) Support
3) Games -- ever tried to find really cool games for Linux? Its harder than finding games for a Mac!
Old 10-01-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Win 7 is the best M$ OS since W2K Pro!
Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08
Old 10-01-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannu View Post
What is your views about the operating system like Window, OSX and Linux. According to me Windows is better for some things, OSX is better for some things and Linux is better for some things.
The question is wrong/faulty.

'cause it really depends on what you want to do with the OS.

OSX for example has the best keyboardlayout, at least here in germany, you have easy access to some symbols you don't have on Windows systems.
On the other hand, you don't have a big choice of free/open source software, you'll need to pay for almost everything.
And it runs only on few hardware combinations.

Linux has the advantage of the configurability but that's also the disadvantage it has, so it's not that easy to use.
Also not every hardware does run on Linux although the most cummon things should work.

Windows has the advantage that you can run games on it, I think we don't need to talk about the software that can run under Windows, do we?
And every Hardware can be used with Windows (well not everything especially on the 64bit versions)...

So the conclusion is that there is no 'best Operatingsystem', you have alwasy some pros for the operating system but also some cons, that depends on what you want to do.
Old 10-01-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriJane View Post
OSX has the advantages of Linux plus it's "Finished" for you. Also there's plenty of commercially available software. All you have to do is buy a Mac. Or hack it if you prefer.
No it doesn't, it's as fragile as Windows (maybe more).
The thing is that the OSX users were to few so that a virus doesn't make any sense, cause who should it attack??

Thats changing now, so there are some people out there who gonna make the life of a MAC User miserable with virusses and other things that ain't good at all...

I've tried OSX too but I was very disapointet of it, especially 'cause the Mac fans do hype it that much.
Well it isn't as good as people are saying it is.
The biggest problem is that you don't have a maximize button and you'll have to pay for almost anything that's free on other systems...

And, well, the performance isn't good either, so you'll have a slow operating system, you can't use for more than chatting/internet without paying for aditional software, even the 'integrated' quicktime player doesn't support fullscreen playback.
And if you don't like iTunes, you're really fucked cause there is no other music player with playlists out there...

Well there were good things like the keyboard layout and Adium x wich is In my oppinion the best IM programm.
Old 10-01-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
Win 7 is the best M$ OS since W2K Pro!
Although Win2K was a good OS, you're remembering it a little too fondly. It had plenty of issues that made it inferior to XP in various ways. And compared to Vista, there's no comparison as far as stability and reliability goes.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 10-01-2009
Flux Capacitor User

He probably hasn't bought it after release as I did.
Well it didn't work very well in the beginning, there were massive driver issues even graphics drivers and the AGP Drivers (GART) weren't available...

Windows Vista was a joke with Issues compared to Win 2k...
Old 10-02-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Although Win2K was a good OS, you're remembering it a little too fondly. It had plenty of issues that made it inferior to XP in various ways. And compared to Vista, there's no comparison as far as stability and reliability goes.
Your lack of "hands-on" personal experience is showing, big time!

Hopefully, one of these years you will be able to do more than quote others, don't believe everything you read, not even here.
Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08