jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 05-25-2008
Site Founder

Default Windows XP product ID problems

Ok... horrible situation that currently has my main PC down....

I have a legit copy of XP x64 that was obtained directly from Microsoft as an NFR. Totally, totally, totally legit.

I had to reinstall XP and couldn't find the disc. Only the DVD case with the Product ID (usually it's the other way around, right?)

So I grabbed an ISO of XP Professional x64 off the web. There's no designation on any of the iso's I could find on line that said that there's a difference between OEM, retail, NFR, etc. I just assumed there was only one version since it basically flopped on launch.

I installed this ISO and half way through it asked me for my product ID... as it should. I typed in mine, but it didn't take. CRAP! So I went on the web with my laptop and grabbed one with the intention of changing it to the legit one after I could get into the registry.

Once the install was done, I was told to activate. Of course, I can't activate with the Product ID I got off of the web, so I click on "change product ID" and type in mine. IT STILL WON'T TAKE IT!!!

I looked on the web and everything I can find about changing the product ID has to do with going into the registry to make the current ID invalid so the activation wizard comes up and asks you to re-activate. I DON'T NEED THIS. THIS DOESN'T HELP ME.

I need to find where in the registry I can change the OS type from whatever it is now to whatever it needs to be, or somewhere I can force the Product ID in so I can actually activate this thing and move on.

If I could find my CD, I would just reinstall... but I can't find it. I could download another ISO, but who's to say that what I download isn't just going to be another copy of this same version and I'm back to square one. There has to be a way to reg hack this thing to get it up and running.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008
1kW User

Quote:
I have a legit copy of XP x64 that was obtained directly from Microsoft as an NFR.
How ? As a promotional material ? XP x64 is an OEM-only product. MS never sold a retail version. The only way to get it from MS , in normal circumstances , is through Volume Licensing and I don't think that's how you got it.

You should first try to get an OEM CD or ISO file to burn and try with your serial. I hope someone can send you a CD or create an ISO to download. I don't have a copy right now.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2008
Site Founder

XP x64 was ONLY an OEM product? OK, but volume license is not the only way to get product direct from Microsoft. Partners are allowed to purchase "NFR" (Not For Resale) product at half price through special promotions. The Office 2000 I use is the same way.

So, does OEM vs. Volume have different product ID algorithms? And would an NFR version of XP have yet another algorithm?
Old 05-25-2008
1kW User

Quote:
XP x64 was ONLY an OEM product?
Yup.

Quote:
OK, but volume license is not the only way to get product direct from Microsoft. Partners are allowed to purchase "NFR" (Not For Resale) product at half price through special promotions.
Sure and OEM copies can be bought from Newegg (and other online shops) :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116378
And this NFR thing is not really that clear ( but that's for the sellers, for you no problem you have a legal copy).

Quote:
So, does OEM vs. Volume have different product ID algorithms?
Generally speaking all Windows versions have different serial algorithms. For example the serial for a Windows XP Pro OEM in English won't work for a Windows XP Pro OEM in Turkish. As you can see even the language matters most of the time. The first action you should take is to find out the type of license for your disc.
There are also some hacks but I don't how much success you'll have with them. Just an example :
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio...p/t117527.html
Old 05-25-2008
Site Founder

My Pid is 76588000 on the CD I have now. That's not even on the list. I Googled that and came up with nada.
Old 05-25-2008
Site Founder

Aww crap.... I found this batch file that's supposed to over-ride the activation....

I ran it and now when I boot up it says I have to activate. When I run the activation wizard, it says the product is already activated. When I say not to run the activation wizard, I logs me out.

I'm now worse off than I was.
Old 05-26-2008
1kW User

Crap.

No one here has a copy of XP 64-bit ?

What about calling MS ? Yes, they generally refuse to help about OEM products but that was an MS OEM disc and they may accept to replace it. And if you read them the product key they will tell you to which version of Windows it belongs.

And this is an activation problem, too. So you call the activation line and talk about the problem and read the serial you have. They should tell you what it is.
Old 05-26-2008
Site Founder

Well... last night I downloaded and installed three more ISO images off the web and finally found one that worked with my Product ID code.

Ugh....
Old 05-26-2008
Just kidding, not banned

Well... I can honestly say that it sounds like you had an "interesting" weekend to say the very least. Glad you managed to get it sorted.
Old 05-26-2008
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Well... last night I downloaded and installed three more ISO images off the web and finally found one that worked with my Product ID code.

Ugh....
Great , save it somewhere this time <g>