jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 01-28-2009
500W User

Basically the single rail PSU's are more of a plug and play while the multi-rail needs some user know how on w/c rails are getting loaded and by how much amps.. or am i totally wrong?
Old 01-28-2009
Happily running a 380W NeoHE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post
Basically the single rail PSU's are more of a plug and play while the multi-rail needs some user know how on w/c rails are getting loaded and by how much amps.. or am i totally wrong?
There are certain connectors on each rail, if the PSU has these set out properly(eg. not all PCIe and other things on same rail), then there is basically no user know how, just plug it in. Only very rare cases if people have abormal setups some issues may occur..
Old 01-28-2009
Site Founder

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1raffe View Post
There are certain connectors on each rail, if the PSU has these set out properly(eg. not all PCIe and other things on same rail), then there is basically no user know how, just plug it in. Only very rare cases if people have abormal setups some issues may occur..
What g1raffe said. Certain connectors are on certain rails. You don't have to know what's where because it's not like you're going to put a different connector on a different rail if you think there's a potential to overload a rail.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 01-30-2009
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
You are wrong.

What g1raffe said. Certain connectors are on certain rails. You don't have to know what's where because it's not like you're going to put a different connector on a different rail if you think there's a potential to overload a rail.
I dont get it, how can you not know w/c connector is connected at what rail since the connectors have labels ( atleast my silvetstone 750ZF) has. So if i plug in 14amp videocard on rail 3 id be well aware that rail3 is already drawing 14amps and that gives be about 4-5amps more for drives/fans/motherboard power.
Old 01-30-2009
I'm Batman!

jonny and g1raffe are trying to tell that you can't plug in the connectors where you want to.
PCI Express connectors are on +12V4, the drives/fans/motherboard power are on +12V3.
Old 01-30-2009
Site Founder

Quote:
I dont get it, how can you not know w/c connector is connected at what rail since the connectors have labels ( atleast my silvetstone 750ZF) has. So if i plug in 14amp videocard on rail 3 id be well aware that rail3 is already drawing 14amps and that gives be about 4-5amps more for drives/fans/motherboard power.
Again, wrong. Because drives/fans/motherboard power, etc. isn't also on 12V3 where your video card is drawing 14A (which is impossible, but I digress).

I didn't say you "don't know". I said, "you don't have to know". Assuming your graphics card was on the same rail as the drives, fans, motherboard, etc. and you overloaded that rail? What would you do? Nothing. But that's not going to be a problem because they split certain connectors up across certain rails to help in AVOIDING any one rail from getting overloaded... even if your graphics card was pulling 14A from any one rail.

Old 01-30-2009
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
jonny and g1raffe are trying to tell that you can't plug in the connectors where you want to.
PCI Express connectors are on +12V4, the drives/fans/motherboard power are on +12V3.

Quote:
Again, wrong. Because drives/fans/motherboard power, etc. isn't also on 12V3 where your video card is drawing 14A (which is impossible, but I digress).

I didn't say you "don't know". I said, "you don't have to know". Assuming your graphics card was on the same rail as the drives, fans, motherboard, etc. and you overloaded that rail? What would you do? Nothing. But that's not going to be a problem because they split certain connectors up across certain rails to help in AVOIDING any one rail from getting overloaded... even if your graphics card was pulling 14A from any one rail.
Im sorry but I still dont understand or my question was not clear enough

Based on the actual diagram above, it states that 12V3 gives power to

1.) Motherboard
2.) 4Pin moxel ( I would assume thats what they ment by IDE )
3.) Fans & Others
4.) VGA cards

On the actual PSU, the connector tips has a very visible label of 12V1,12V2,12V3,12V4 so im still missing the point on where you guys say that
Quote:
But that's not going to be a problem because they split certain connectors up across certain rails to help in AVOIDING any one rail from getting overloaded
When you intentionally add EVERYTHING possible on the 12V3 rail with a videocard, multiple drives , dozens of fans and the mother board.. so based on your explanation i still wont overload the 12V3 even if im drawing 25amps since the 12V4 ( for example ) is totally free and can shift its power to 12V3?

Last edited by EarlZ; 01-30-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2009
Site Founder

Well, that diagram is the exception, not the rule. That PSU was designed for.. what?... TWO PCIe connectors. How do you get four PCIe connectors? By using a combination of a Molex to PCIe adapter and 6-pin AUX to PCIe adapter.

So yes, you could load virtually everything up on the +12V3, but you would actually have to go out of your way to do so. Like I said, that diagram shows an exception. Not the norm.

And if you did overload +12V3, no... power doesn't "shift" from one rail to another. It's either on +12V3 or +12V4, but it doesn't shift back and forth.

Old 01-30-2009
500W User

Quote:
Well, that diagram is the exception, not the rule. That PSU was designed for.. what?... TWO PCIe connectors. How do you get four PCIe connectors? By using a combination of a Molex to PCIe adapter and 6-pin AUX to PCIe adapter.
It has 4pcs of 6pin PCIe connectors hardwired on the PSU, 2x on the 12V3 and 2x on the 12V4 with another 8Pin PCie.. the one on your review shows the older version that needs extra connectors/converters the newer ones are all hardwired.

Quote:
So yes, you could load virtually everything up on the +12V3, but you would actually have to go out of your way to do so. Like I said, that diagram shows an exception. Not the norm.

And if you did overload +12V3, no... power doesn't "shift" from one rail to another. It's either on +12V3 or +12V4, but it doesn't shift back and forth.
I see,i just assumed that all other manufacturers also use a similar labeling method.
Old 03-12-2009
Flux Capacitor User

Thumbs up Good Job Jon!

This is the first opportunity I have had to actually read this entire thread, since I returned from Asia, EXCELLENT JOB!

I think you will like this, from the Updated Guide:
Quote:
The Single Rail Recommendation was for Several Reasons:

In the early days of Cross Fire & SLI, the power requirements of these GPU's was too high to allow PSU's that adhered to the ATX/EPS Intel Standards to properly power these new high-power-demand GPU's.

PSU manufactures began assigning the rails on their multi-rail (3 or more +12V rails) PSU's in whatever fashion pleased them.

Motherboard manufacturers required additional power connectors, beyond the standard ATX & P4/P8EPS connectors, to help support these GPU's.

Sometimes the interaction of these unique rail assignments & additional power connectors results in mobo/PSU incompatibility.

All of these problems were of course caused by the ever higher power demands of ever more powerful GPU's and the lack of proper standards for powering them with Multi-Rail PSU's.

Most Dual +12V Rail PSU's were not effected as one rail "should always" be used exclusively to power the CPU via the P4/EPS connector, however Dual Rail PSU's that followed the specs could not power highend CF/SLI systems.

Therefore all PSU's recommended for high-end systems had to be Single +12V Rail PSU's.

For the most part these problems are now (3-1-09) in our past. Today as long as the Max Combined +12V Amperage is sufficient most any RECOMMEND PSU can properly power any CF/SLI system, given that the proper cables are provided.

Today only truly unusual systems need to be concerned with +12V Rail Distribution. Over 95%+ of the time the number of rails is not an important consideration in selecting a PSU from our Recommended PSU Lists.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...86&postcount=9
How do you like my new sig?
Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08