jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 06-24-2010
Flux Capacitor User

To RAID:
You'll either use a real software RAID, like the OS has or you use controllers with some kind of CPU on it.
HW Assisted RAID (like those of onboard controllers) is crap, for various reasons...

To the PSU: why don't you use staggered spinup?!
Old 06-25-2010
Site Founder

Thanked 1,577 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos3428 View Post
S'funny I was thinking just the opposite...but it all boils down to reliability and performance. You have to match the solution to the criticality of your data.

We typically deploy 11 disks per RAID6 shelf, plus three online spares. Then we mirror the shelves so we don't take a performance hit if it needs to do a multi-disk rebuild. So that's 28 disks per volume...and we have 4-6 volumes per NAS.
Clearly enterprise level stuff. If someone's talking about using a Zotac Atom board with an on board SATA RAID, it's not enterprise.

If this is a NAS, then there's going to be a bottle neck at the network anyways, so I just don't see the point of not just using RAID 5 or 5 +spare and just sticking with 5 drives on the on board controller. *shrug*

But really... there's some people that would think that my RAID 5 in a home PC is overkill... so you guys do whatever you want. I'm just giving my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
To the PSU: why don't you use staggered spinup?!
The board in question doesn't support it. I'm sure if a controller card that supported it was used, it would be used.

Last edited by jonnyGURU; 06-25-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2010
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Thanks, but I'm happy with my simple 750i board's native RAID5+spare. I have four 500GB drives striped up which is plenty for my personal files.
The vast majority of cheap "hardware RAID controller"s are a simple multi-port controller plus some boot firmware plus a device driver that both implement the same software RAID algorithms.

This is generally known as "FakeRAID", and its performance is obviously going to be no better than a good software RAID implementation, because it is a software RAID implementation. The only special feature is a BIOS ROM to enable booting from the RAID.

When I set up RAID on Linux, I will sometimes deliberately mirror across different controllers so that I can survive the loss of a controller.

If your 750i has any actual hardware features that make it perform differently than a pure software RAID implementation, I'd very much like to know what they are. Chipset makers keep taking about RAID support, but I've never seen any description of any specific RAID-enabling hardware; as far as I know it's just a driver supplied to BIOS vendors.

See the Linux SATA-RAID FAQ for a somewhat aggrieved explanation.

Personally, I prefer straight mirroring for reliability and speed benefit, so there isn't even any extra computation to do.

Edit: another page listing fakeRAID implementations.

Last edited by cypherpunks; 06-25-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Add another list of fakeRAID implementations.
Old 06-25-2010
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherpunks View Post
If your 750i has any actual hardware features that make it perform differently than a pure software RAID implementation, I'd very much like to know what they are.
It doesn't nor did I say it did.

I merely stated that it was "plenty for me". I am not you, you are not me.

It's proven adequate for what I need it for. If the array fails, I reboot, go into the RAID BIOS, locate and replace the offending drive, and let the array rebuild.

I'm not dealing with mission critical files here. I'm dealing with MP3's and AVI's.
Old 06-25-2010
Flux Capacitor User

you guys are de"railing" the topic.....haahha i just gotta say it
Old 06-25-2010
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I figured that there must be a software solution that would let you bridge multiple controllers together, but yeah... GOD what a performance hit. I'd rather use fewer, larger drives on one controller than more drives on two controllers.
Sorry; I should have quoted the above in my response as well. There is no required performance hit, when using software RAID (which is what all of the cheap controllers, including yours, are) to splitting the disks across multiple controllers. In fact, there might even be a performance win (less contention for PCIe bus).

Why do you think there might be?
Old 06-25-2010
Site Founder

I'll admit that I assumed incorrectly. I assumed that with two different controllers having to be bridged together, there must be a performance hit, and Tater Tot said that he calculated a 15% performance hit.

For me, my biggest bottleneck is the network.
Old 06-25-2010
Flux Capacitor User

My only experience with RAID, tells me it kills bugs dead...
Old 07-20-2010
Banned

yeah..
Old 04-11-2011
PSU Editor TweakPC.de

perhaps interesting for you

difference between good and not so good single Rail PSU *lol* and Multi Rail

http://videos.pcgameshardware.de/vid...eilkurzschluss

http://www.hardwareclips.com/video/2080

the PSU´s

LC Power Legion X2 1000W (aka Andyson K Series multi Rail)
Corsair AX750
Corsair AX1200

few other PSU´s would be interesting, but better this then notihing^^

Last edited by tinpoint; 04-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.