jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 03-14-2008
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
not to mention the fact that UAC is the most annoying feature I have ever seen in an OS
Actually, this is one of the very few features of Vista that I really really like. Nothing gets to fuck with my settings without my explicit authorization. But then Unix people are used to typing sudo a lot.

There are other reasons—"product activation" being one of the biggest—why I won't touch Vista or non-pirated XP.
Old 03-14-2008
Just kidding, not banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicong View Post
I am still using WinXP Home Edition at my laptop but now having very lot interest on Linux have been used Fedora,Ubuntu,Frugalware,Knoppix,Mint but feel very comfortable with Slackware..
Instead move to Vista, I am more interested to upgrade to KDE 4.0, maybe I will try to running KDE on winxp too. Move to Vista also mean must upgrade my laptop RAM that only 512MB.

I hope more people just move to other free OS (like Linux or BSD etc), Windows and MacOS new version cost too much money and asking for big hardware upgrade too. Maybe if a lot of user move to free OS, a lot of software & games vendor will release their product for Linux or BSD too..
You won't see a widespread adoption of Linux in any form until it becomes as easy to configure as Windows is. Windows is pretty easy to install new hardware, software and drivers into whereas with Linux it's a lesson in frustration trying to install drivers for hardware if you're uninitiated.
Old 03-14-2008
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
You won't see a widespread adoption of Linux in any form until it becomes as easy to configure as Windows is. Windows is pretty easy to install new hardware, software and drivers into whereas with Linux it's a lesson in frustration trying to install drivers for hardware if you're uninitiated.
Of course, once you are initiated, it's possible to actually debug driver problems rather than just reinstalling blindly.

The big difference is that with Windows, you expect drivers to be external, and they're easy to add. With Linux, you expect them to be built in. When they are built in, they work better than in Windows, but adding an external driver, while possible, is a PITA.

It's a totally different mindset. You shouldn't have to install any drivers on a Linux box. Just get the latest kernel and there they are.
Old 03-16-2008
Just kidding, not banned

Sadly for things like wireless internet and sound cards, finding drivers that are in the distro is nearly impossible. I set up ubuntu on a friend's lappy, it was an older laptop and the wireless card was over a year old yet there were no drivers for it in the distro. Finding them was a battle, there were none and naturally, the Windows driver was useless...

Needless to say, XP went back on the lappy and ubuntu was shown the door.