jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 11-25-2007
200W User

Default intel D975XBX2 problems

Hello.
I have an extremely annoying problem with my pc and ic an not figure out what is going on.

specs:

Intel D975XBX2
2 gig corsair xms2 memory
corsair HX 620 PSU
visiontek radeon x850xt 256 mb
audigy xf sound card 5.1
WD raptor 150 gig drive
zalman 9500 cpu cooler

What happens is that when i am playing this game i get this annoying beeping sound coming from the motherboard and it will not stop beeping until i quit out of the game.
Im sure it is not an overheating issue since i have speedfan running in the background and when it start beeping i alt-tab out of the game quickly to check the cpu temperature and at load it runs at 45C(not the greatest but not even that bad) and idle it runs at 38C.
I have no idea what is causing this but im sure there has to be a way to stop it =/
any help will be greatly appreciated thx.

PS the only option i have in the bios are under boot configurationa nd are has follow:

CPU fan control= enabled
System fan control=enabled
lowest fan speed=low

I have tryed to disable thsi but did not make a difference, i also tryed to instal the cpu cooler speed fan controller and put it on max but made no difference=/
Old 11-25-2007
Site Founder

Are you sure your Zalman 9500 is mounted flush?

Do you have an 8-pin power connector plugged into the motherboard or just 4-pins?

Do you have power going to the graphics card? It could be the graphics card beeping.
Old 11-25-2007
200W User

Hi thx for reply
By mounted flush u mean if its put on correctly? sorry english not my first language not sure what flush means.
I did not install the cpu cooler so not sure =/ but look ok at least the temp are fine .
The motherboard is using an 8 pin connector.
and i have plugged the 4 pin connector to the graphic card.

I honestly dont know what to do =/ its not like it beeps once oir twice sometimes it will do it over and over non stop.
and starts doing it after about 5 minutes i logged in game.
Old 11-25-2007
Kickin' it old school

Yeah, flush means on there flat and tight. Snug.

Look in the BIOS under "monitoring" or "safety" something like that, see if it has something about a "warning temperature".
Old 11-25-2007
200W User

I thx for the help guys.
But atm im really confused to what is going on here.
I was testing the game again to see where the beeping sound was coming from , i started the game and 5 minutes later the beeping begins........i count around 30 beeps , then i decide to remove the pc side cover to see where this beeping is coming from.Has soon has i removed the side cover the beeping stopped.
I tought it must be a coincidence , so i put the side cover back on and there it goes the beeping started again after about 40 sec , tryed again and same thing happened.
Every time i remove the side cover beepin stops , according to speedfan at that time my cpu tem was 43C and inside temp was 40(litel high i guess).
Anyways since jonny mention that it could be my grapic card i decided to try and use a different one.
Si i borrowed my brother graphic card wich is exactly like mine a radeon x850xt just different makes mine is visiontek and his is sapphire.
Started up the game again and its been 20 minutes now and the beeping sound seems to have stopped.
The problem is that now im really confused to what is going on here lol
Is there somethign wrong with my video card that is overheating my machine? how can the beeping stop has soon has i remove the side cover and i dont see a connection between this and the video card .
im lost help
Old 11-26-2007
Modding is Life

Chances are its a motherboard alarm telling you the temps are too high. I'd also be willing to be that Speedfan isn't reporting the right temps or you are looking at the wrong temp reading in speedfan. Check out Coretemp. That should give you a better and more accurate reading of your CPU temp. Considering that beeping stops when the side cover is taken off I'd say temps are your problem. Resetting the CPU cooler may help. Be sure to clean off the old thermal paste and apply new paste when you re-seat the cooler.
COOLING:
| CM Eclipse | VF-900 | Antec 900 |

XATE-984 Load Tester Build
Old 11-26-2007
200W User

on speedfan it posts the cpu temperature nera the cloak , not sure if its accurate but its pretty much like the one in the bios at idle.
Old 11-26-2007
200W User

Is this beeping for sure an alarm, I mean doe sit sounds like it would come from a speeker, ir is it just a high frequence noise?

My guess would be that the sound comes from the case it self resonating when a particular fan reaches a specific speed/frequency that corresponds with the eigenfrequency of the case part.
Since it looks to be related with the side part look if it stops when you press your hand hard against the side cover those changing its eigenfrequency.
Old 11-26-2007
Site Founder

I would have to say that with the beeping turning on and off as you take the side panel on and off that it would have to be thermal.

I would take the CPU cooler off, clean it, reapply just a little thermal compound and reinstall it. Just to make sure. Sometimes a cap or two or something on the mobo can make those big sinks tilt up a little causing the surfaces to not be exactly together.
Old 11-26-2007
200W User

It's your video card. If you change your video card and the problem stops, then it's your old video card.

If that card has a fan on it, check to make sure it's spinning when the computer is on.

Load up ATiTool (http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/) and check your GPU temps. I believe that card has a temp sensor.

-z