jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 10-10-2007
Do Not Look Into LASER w/Remaining Eye!

Default Kill o watt, what's up with that?

A while ago there seemed to be a debate about the Kill O Watt's accuracy. What was it all about, I was confused there. Is it not accurate in certain circumstances or something? If so, how far off was it?
System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for
Old 10-10-2007
Site Founder

Certain PSU's (we assume the problem is caused by the APFC circuit) can cause the Kill-A-Watt, and even some high end meters and clamping ammeters, to give a false reading. Sometimes the AC power consumption is actually less than the DC output! So you might have a PSU putting out 500W DC, but the Kill-A-Watt is only reporting 450W being pulled from the wall. Woo hoo! Free power!
Old 10-10-2007
1kW User

Another interesting point to bring up thus is; If we can't measure the power in any way with any number of different meters

Then maybe the power company can't either

Then it really is free power

And it could thus be argued that the PSU really is over 100% efficient :P
Old 10-10-2007
Site Founder

LOL... well... I'm fairly certain the meters they use can acurately measure consumption. Maybe that's why they use the mechanical dial meters for the most part. Never seen on spin backwards.
Old 10-10-2007
For sale or rent

I think it can spin backwards... if you feed in more power than you draw. Seriously, if you have a way to generate electricity and put it back on the grid, then the power company has to pay you! At least this is how it worked back in CA (tree hugger state, not Northern neighbors). Some people had their own solar panel array or wind farms.
Old 10-10-2007
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I think it can spin backwards... if you feed in more power than you draw. Seriously, if you have a way to generate electricity and put it back on the grid, then the power company has to pay you! At least this is how it worked back in CA (tree hugger state, not Northern neighbors). Some people had their own solar panel array or wind farms.
No shit? Damn... you know here you have to pay extra for renewable energy from the utility company. Eh? Thanks a lot guys! I'd love to spend the money on my own solar panel and wind farm just so I could receive a check back from the utility company.
Old 10-10-2007
Pinball Wizard

Yeah we have differential metering available here too. Some asshat put up a fucking 40ft wind turbine in an intown neighborhood.
Old 10-10-2007
1kW User

We had our analog meter changed for a digital one a few years back, will post a picture when I have time...
Old 10-11-2007
Site Founder

Plug a SevenTeam 1200W in there and see if it runs backwards.
Old 10-11-2007
Computer Abuser

Our meter's been digital for a couple of years, too. And we're so far out in the country in SE GA that we have to drive for 15 min. just to get to the sticks.

Oh well, it's not all bad.....we just got DSL available to us. 6mbps down speed, so it's liveable. Fiber optic cable was laid in last month, but naturally, we're told it'll be a year before it'll be able to be actually hooked up to the house. Nice that it's at least to a box on the side of the house right now.

And then we got our road paved last month, too. Used to have to drive a mile to find asphalt. Of course, it did keep the riff-raff away...no door-to-door anything down here.....salespeople, Jehovah's Witnesses....nothing. Now, in the last month, they've suddenly been showing up with regularity. And they all just LOVE my little Chow, Jessica.

At least she seems to love them.....she just loves to stand next to their vehicle and talk and talk and talk to them. Guess no one can understand her, though....most all just back out the driveway and leave without ever coming up to the door. Cannot understand it, myself. Jessica's just greeting them and asking them to come to the door.

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
- Brooks Atkinson