jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Old 04-03-2007
1kW User

Default Which is better, EVGA or XFX?

I've been using EVGA but XFX has some great looking cards and I haven't read too much negative about them.

Thanks

BTW...thanks, jonny, for all your help.
Old 04-03-2007
200W User

EVGA has the better warranty and the step up program. XFX generally has better looking cards, sometimes better cooling.
Old 04-03-2007
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantine View Post
EVGA has the better warranty and the step up program. XFX generally has better looking cards, sometimes better cooling.
EVGA also has web based forum support...a positive point. XFX doesn't have web based forum support but the particular cards are higher performance for less money than the equivalent EVGA card.

thanks for your reply, BTW
Old 04-04-2007
Flux Capacitor User

Uh, I'd say EVGA. The price difference between performance card X from EVGA and performance card Y from XFX is null when you consider the better customer support.

I think that most, if not all, of the Nvidia GFX cards on the market are manufactured by two companies, they are just rebranded and tweaked a little by the different companies (EVGA, XFX, BFG, etc). What you need to be in the market for is a good warranty, not specs.
Old 04-04-2007
Site Administrator

Personally I prefer XFX... I would rather have the good card up front at a decent price than having to deal with RMAing something numerous times like many have with EVGA.
Old 04-04-2007
Custom User Title

I prefer eVGA simply because of the warrenty after you remove the stock cooler.
Old 04-04-2007
Just kidding, not banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
Yes indeed. Not only that but if you OC the hell out of your card and it says "goodnight!" it's still covered whereas most other card companies won't cover it if they find out that's the reason it went TU.

What's funny is that eVGA and XFX (the high-end arm of Pine) used to be the total budget cards often associated with the likes of Jaton and Chaintech but they decided to grab market share away from what were the big three at the time, ASUS, Abit (who's since bowed out of the GFX business) and ATI.
Old 04-04-2007
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Tazz View Post
Personally I prefer XFX... I would rather have the good card up front at a decent price than having to deal with RMAing something numerous times like many have with EVGA.
Don't I know it! I just sent off my MSI board, a failure, for RMA. Haven't yet decided on witch board to replace it with or if I should look at an AM2 setup. Maybe a Gigabyte and a 3600X2 to start with...have everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
They also have great web based forum support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Yes indeed. Not only that but if you OC the hell out of your card and it says "goodnight!" it's still covered whereas most other card companies won't cover it if they find out that's the reason it went TU.

What's funny is that eVGA and XFX (the high-end arm of Pine) used to be the total budget cards often associated with the likes of Jaton and Chaintech but they decided to grab market share away from what were the big three at the time, ASUS, Abit (who's since bowed out of the GFX business) and ATI.
BTW...idn't it a little warm down there?....j/k

Edited in:

Good grief! I was having a psychedelic moment for a little bit, there, till I noticed who did some editing.

"Last edited by jonnyGURU : Today at 11:02 AM."

Last edited by MartyLK; 04-04-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2007
micro ATX User

I prefer eVGA myself. But I would go with XFX if they had the least expensive version of the model I was shopping for, and it saved a substantial amount (say $10 or more). As was already stated, companies like eVGA, XFX and BFG don't build video cards anymore. They buy them from pretty much the same source and just customize the appearance, cooling solution and maybe add a factory overclock. Everything is so limited by nVidia's specs that it's pretty much impossible for there to be a problem with one brand and not the others. As long as the cooling meets minimum spec, there will be no quality difference.

The reason I would go with eVGA is because of their warranty and outstanding customer service. The Step-Up program is also nice, but I don't change hardware frequently enough for that to matter to me.

To build on the comment about how eVGA rose from being a bottom feeder in the vid card market to one of the best names, BFG has kind of done the opposite. BFG burst on the scene with their factory overclocked cards, only to see everyone join in that game. And what was once an ironclad warranty is now not that good, and far inferior to eVGA's warranty for example.
Old 04-04-2007
200W User

Well I've never had to claim on my card but I like the fact that when I sell it XFX will extend the warrantee to the buyer,as I bought it new,which is a nice incentive.

I don't overclock mine but I think there would be room for a little with the stock cooling which idles at 57C and barely sees 65C in games,supposedly topping out the danger level at 120C.