jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > The Gaming Forum

The Gaming Forum Discuss computer and console games and gaming here

Old 03-25-2007
Retired from Boards

The first REAL PC game I played which can actually be called a "game" in a fuller sense similar to today, setting the PC gaming mania race off, would probably be SimCity, yep. On a few platforms, Amiga, C64, Atari ST, Spectrum and IBM PC in '89.

Next, I only recall playing heavily what set the FPS going: Doom.

That created a rave in users I can still recall till this day.

I was going to Mac D, just parked car and walking out and one of my buddies came up behind us shouting and yelling looking shoocked..
"Man, have you seen Doom?"
I was like "what?"
He said "Oh man, you are missing it, lets go back to my place or Jenny's, they have Doom over there. Man you HAVE TO see it, did you hear me, you HAVE TO, its whoa, its crazy!"

So I was like "let us get some munch and we'll see. Can't be bothered with a game My hair's falling out from 12 hours shifts and Uni studies, I've got this and that jumping at me to do, some fe-male trouble running circles around me and you're there saying lets play a game!!?"

Anyway we went over and I liked it. I knew thats going to set some kinda new worldly trend off that'll become bigger than any religion as you could see it with the guys and their eyes were lit up with fascination and admiration, leaving their 10 year crush date waiting for days while squaring off with some local guy .. err playing .. Doom. Next minute you see, 10 years down the line to 2003 and wow, everythings onto a different level unimaginable before.

It REALLY is like a totally different world, you couldn't picture before at the slightest.
Old 03-25-2007
Moderator of Silly Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD4466HK View Post
"Wizard.....needs food, badly!!!"

I use to love that game
Remember Rastan? And Black Tiger?
"Save keys to open doors!"

Don't remember either of those. I was a Gauntlet only kid until the folks finally bought us a NES after it had been already out for like 2 years.
Old 03-25-2007
Dumb Ass White Boy

I remember having a Pong game in the mid-late 70's (I'm thinking ~75-76).
Went from that to a Commodore Vic20 (Don't remember any games that I may have played on it).

I also remember waiting in line at University Square Mall here in Tampa to play Asteroids and Space Invaders - they were in the center of the mall, and at the most I remember seeing 1-20 people waiting to play them.

Anyone remember that HUGE pinball machine? Was it called "Hercules"?

I remember stealing an intellivision, Merlin, and other handhelds from JC Penney at the same mall.

I was working in an arcade as a technician when Rastan came out - I converted an old Defender game into a Rastan.
Converted many others, 1942, Sky Sharks, Ikari Warriors, Mach 3 (Wae that the name? It was a Laserdisc helicopter game) Gauntlet, etc..
Old 03-25-2007
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSix View Post

Anyone remember that HUGE pinball machine? Was it called "Hercules"?
It was an Atari one and it was either the biggest or close pinball machine built for distro.
Old 03-25-2007
Dumb Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
It was an Atari one and it was either the biggest or close pinball machine built for distro.
Correct.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1155

For those of you that haven't seen one, yes - it is indeed "Herculean".
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=11...o=14950&zoom=1

Hahah.. I just noticed your title. "Pinball Wizard".

I had one pinball machine in the game room I worked at - an 8 Ball Deluxe. Fun game!

And I found the name of the laserdisk helicopter game - "Choplifter". I converted a sit-down Spy Hunter to a Choplifter. That was a BITCH!
Old 03-25-2007
Site Founder

Quote:
Mach 3 (Wae that the name? It was a Laserdisc helicopter game)
Mach 3 was laserdisc, but not a helicopter. It was some sort of fighter jet. I don't think Mach 3 could be converted from anything, but a lot of them ended up as the game Us vs. Them in conversion (same company... needed only a disc swap.)

I think the copter one you're thinking of was Cobra Command. It could be converted into virtually ANY laser disc cabinet with minimal modification.

Perhaps you coverted a Mach 3 into a Cobra Command.

I used to love playing Cobra Command. Flying through the city was my favorite level. Then the 7-11 near me that had the game set it up so the levels would load randomly. Pissed me off and I never played it again.

This might interest you guys... I was a big arkie when I was a kid. I even subscribed to Electronic Games magazine. On TBS, there was a "game show" called StarCade that aired on Saturday morning at 8AM. Because I was in Colorado, I had to get up at 6AM to watch it.

Most of the episodes and pretty much the "intros" to all of the games played on the show can be found on this website: http://www.starcade.tv/starcade/gamesframe.asp
Old 03-25-2007
Pinball Wizard

Quote:

Hahah.. I just noticed your title. "Pinball Wizard".
Yep. Both the song/band and the game

Pinball is one of my favorite arcade game types ever...and the best part was as a kid they were rarely as busy as the standups.
Old 03-25-2007
Site Founder

Quote:
And I found the name of the laserdisk helicopter game - "Choplifter". I converted a sit-down Spy Hunter to a Choplifter. That was a BITCH!
No. Choplifter was not laser. It was raster and based on the Broderbund home game of the same name:

Home version:
http://screenmania.retrogames.com/c64/01/c64_0032.html

Arcade version:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7333

FWIW: Apparently a lot of Cinematronics Laser Disc games (Dragon's Lair & Space Ace) were converted to Choplifter. Why? I don't know. But the conversion required REMOVAL of the laser disc player.

Here's a guy who found a Dragon's Lair converted to Choplifter that he converted back to Dragon's Lair with an emulation program: http://www.thejadedgamer.net/arcadep...gonslair.shtml
Old 03-25-2007
1kW User

I dunno which game it was, but it was on the TI-99 4/A, which is still loads of fun btw.
Old 03-25-2007
Dumb Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
No. Choplifter was not laser. It was raster and based on the Broderbund home game of the same name:

Home version:
http://screenmania.retrogames.com/c64/01/c64_0032.html

Arcade version:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7333

FWIW: Apparently a lot of Cinematronics Laser Disc games (Dragon's Lair & Space Ace) were converted to Choplifter. Why? I don't know. But the conversion required REMOVAL of the laser disc player.

Here's a guy who found a Dragon's Lair converted to Choplifter that he converted back to Dragon's Lair with an emulation program: http://www.thejadedgamer.net/arcadep...gonslair.shtml
Now I remember!

I converted a Mach 3 to Choplifter!

Damn -the memories..

Thanks alot Yakko - I pissed away a good 3 hours on KLOV.

We even had one of these: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...B&game_id=6987

Sucked - lots of maintenance, low coin (token) count, and couldn't convert it.