jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 02-09-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass-Olé View Post
Rasmus' situation should boil down to too many amps / too hot / too long
This is most likely it. Looking into getting a 2nd PSU.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rasmus0909 For This Useful Post:
Cass-Olé (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018
20W User

I'd redo all the connectors and then see if it works; cheaper and a lot more fun.

What I like about fixing is that one is often working on the weak point and so the end result can be better than the new unit; an example is replacing cheap capacitors in a power supply, the repaired unit should last longer than the original.

Is crypto-mining still profitable with the recent fluctuations?

Last edited by ashiekh; 02-10-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2018
A Beautiful Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
Now how to find the current carrying specs for JWT connectors? http://www.jwt.com.tw/pro_pdf/A3961.pdf are 6A
I doubt that's the correct data sheet, it says a 3.96mm pitch, where-as I believe Minifit Jr are 4.20mm pitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus0909 View Post
Looking into getting a 2nd PSU
I'm glad for you. It'd be nice if the Silverstone Rep sounded off on what the max sustained wattage of card(s) should be used with your model or daisy-chain 8pin GRFX cables in general (225w/250w/275w/300w etc) as their rule-of-thumb, an off-the-record comment, what would Jesus do, something

Back in the day, a 300watt card, we might reasonably expect it to pull 75watts (of that 300w rating) through the PCI-E slot (225w through cables), where-as lately I hear that AMD/Nvidia are sending more through the cables & less through the PCI-E slot (example, Tom's Hardware said a 1080Ti pulled something like 330w through the cables & only 43watts through PCI-e slot), so, maybe newer cards take a rougher toll. I say that, since I think Rasmus is convinced his 1500 is designed for x4 300w cards, but, maybe that was circa 2010-era cards (ie perhaps newer cards are less likely to do well on jumper 8pins etc, for the reasons above > less amps though slot / more amps through cables, by design)

Capture.JPG
Here, in the Radeon 295x2 article page4 (Sustained Power And A Roller Coaster Ride At The PCIe Connector: For our grand finale, we’ll look at one of those cards that barely uses the motherboard’s PCIe slot for power. This card peaks at more than 400W one moment, just to fall all the way to 40W the next), Tom's illustrates that the 290x barely pulls anything though the PCI-E (motherboard 12v) slot, just 4watts from its 250w TDP rating (239watts through cable)

*Assume the newer (reference 275w) 390x produces a similar result, thus too much card for the single cable design

Tt 1250.jpg
In all honesty, when I think about what the best setup would look like for running x4 cards, the Thermaltake 1250 with its x8 GPU headers (2 cables per card) is well thought out, ideal (not that I like that brand, not that 1250w is enough for Rasmus). I don't like pigtails because of they're resistive nature & prefer a power plant that offers plenty of GPU headers so as to avoid their use

Last edited by Cass-Olé; 02-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2018
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

Would be nice to see a psu that pretty much just regulated it to a nice 48v, and at the end of the cable have a small module with like a lm5145 with a bunch of fets paralleled or something. It probably wouldn't be as efficient but you would have no melted cables
Old 02-10-2018
20W User

Quote:
I doubt that's the correct data sheet, it says a 3.96mm pitch, where-as I believe Minifit Jr are 4.20mm pitch
Definitely not, that's why I wrote

"Now how to find the current carrying specs for JWT connectors?"

but it was the best I could find in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
Would be nice to see a psu that pretty much just regulated it to a nice 48v, and at the end of the cable have a small module with like a lm5145
I think that is the way of the future with a single voltage supply and buck converters on the motherboard; then again the future may be low powered.
Old 02-12-2018
Official SilverStone Rep

Quote:
I'm glad for you. It'd be nice if the Silverstone Rep sounded off on what the max sustained wattage of card(s) should be used with your model or daisy-chain 8pin GRFX cables in general (225w/250w/275w/300w etc) as their rule-of-thumb, an off-the-record comment, what would Jesus do, something

Back in the day, a 300watt card, we might reasonably expect it to pull 75watts (of that 300w rating) through the PCI-E slot (225w through cables), where-as lately I hear that AMD/Nvidia are sending more through the cables & less through the PCI-E slot (example, Tom's Hardware said a 1080Ti pulled something like 330w through the cables & only 43watts through PCI-e slot), so, maybe newer cards take a rougher toll. I say that, since I think Rasmus is convinced his 1500 is designed for x4 300w cards, but, maybe that was circa 2010-era cards (ie perhaps newer cards are less likely to do well on jumper 8pins etc, for the reasons above > less amps though slot / more amps through cables, by design)

Attachment 3055
Here, in the Radeon 295x2 article page4 (Sustained Power And A Roller Coaster Ride At The PCIe Connector: For our grand finale, we’ll look at one of those cards that barely uses the motherboard’s PCIe slot for power. This card peaks at more than 400W one moment, just to fall all the way to 40W the next), Tom's illustrates that the 290x barely pulls anything though the PCI-E (motherboard 12v) slot, just 4watts from its 250w TDP rating (239watts through cable)

*Assume the newer (reference 275w) 390x produces a similar result, thus too much card for the single cable design
Per their original spec., we definitely recommend not loading the cables/connectors over 8pin PCIe's 150W rating (300W for two). These gaming cards that draw over 300W through the cables are usually fine in gaming situations where the loads are dynamic and peaks over 300W lasts for only seconds at a time. Plus people don't game 24/7 non-stop for months so heat buildup as a result of drawing power over the spec. on cables/connectors do not occur.

Our newer Strider Platinum and Titanium 1000W+ have eight (8) PCIe connectors on the PSU with no pigtail cables included to help ensure they are more capable of handling consistently higher over-loading conditions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilverStone For This Useful Post:
ehume (02-13-2018), jonnyGURU (02-12-2018), Rasmus0909 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
wall of text
In case somebody else stumbles over this post, I found someone on the internet saying the old R9 cards draw as little as <10W through the PCI-E. Not sure if this is correct or not, but pretty wise to keep in mind when considering load on the cable.

Tags
crypto, graphics card, melting, mining, overcurrent