jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-06-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
At my place there is no ground as well (~70years old building), wall sockets have the ground connected to the - from what I heard it's a pretty common "hack" in old buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makentox View Post
Hmm interesting, so did u just pull out the socket and jump cable from ground to minus? Have u ever had any issues?
Under no circumstance do this!
In most of Europe, Norway included we use the Schuko plug which can be reversed.
So if you plug the cable in the wrong way you now have 230VAC on your PC's chassis!!!
(And please stop calling it minus, it's called Neutral and there is a big difference!)
Even if a Schuko plug was not used it's fairly common that the phase and neutral are switched in the IEC cord (C13) itself.
Go measure a few and see! (Made in China, yay!)
-So then you have two ways to kill yourself already there!

The only way to do this properly is to rewire the outlet with an actual ground cable that goes back to the breaker panel.
And for whenever such work is performed there is a silly law that says all outlets in a room should be changed.
Of course that's the best way, but do we really care?
I just rewired a couple outlets in my apartment that are useful to me:
Two in the bedroom for the PC and two in the living room for the TV.
Plus one or two that was really easy to pull a cable to when I was anyway doing the job.
Makentox (12-07-2017), sith'ari (12-09-2017)
Old 12-07-2017
micro ATX User

Thanks for your support. I have decided to go the easiest way, which is put a new extension cable connected to grounded socket and going all the way to my room, it wont look nice but at least i will know that my PC is grounded. Unless u disagree that its the best solution.?

BTW i was wrong, we dont have negative at all, its 2 phase nett-system. Both "holes" in the socket have current. Putting a nail in any of 2 will shock u..
Old 12-09-2017
1kW User

Ahh yes I forgot, Norway is 230VAC 3-phase IT network, not 400VAC 3-phase TN-C-S network like most of Europe.
So if you would connect the plug as described by strumf666 your PC's chassis would be live no matter which way you plug in the Schuko plug!

And it's also not possible to use a GCFI (Jordfeilbryter) as you need a neutral conductor to compare against if there is any loss of current in the network.

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordfeilbryter
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN-nett
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/IT-nett
Makentox (12-09-2017), sith'ari (12-09-2017)