jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > General Electronics > Electronic Theory and Principle

Electronic Theory and Principle Discussion of electrical theory, law, etc.

Old 10-25-2006
micro ATX User

The pop means that there was vibration/movement in the air. The light means that there was a conversion of energy to light. Since almost all controlled conversions, never mind unexpected conversions, are not efficient I would expect that there should be some trace of the event (smoke, smudge etc). The problem is whether it is enough to be observable. A different but close example is static electricity. At a previous residence my wife and I and were able to generate huge sparks which we inflicted on each other. These were audible (extremely so when discharged to the ear lobe) and could actually be seen flashing quite a distance. I may not remember correctly but I believe that some of them jumped nearly if not over one inch. Not once did we ever see any signs of the event on the metal light switch or other items that got zapped. (This is pre-computer - how else do you explain having the time to do this kind of mindless stuff.) My guess is that since it was high voltage with very low amps it could not create anything seen by normal means but possibly an electron microscope might have. If the same is possible in this case you may not see it. My gut reaction though is that there should be some trace. Since there was visible light I believe that it would have to have an opening to the air. Possibly it occurred near the edge of a components cover and was not violent enough to leave a mark.
Old 11-01-2006
1kW User

I had a Enermax 620 which blew and took out the RCD in the house, I reset the RCD and tried again a big blue flash from inside the PSU and the RCD had to be reset again, I repeated this around 6 times and coudn't see where it was comming from I couldn't see what was happening and I couldn't take it to pieces because it was under warranty I returned it and swapped for a OCZ GameXStream 700 then I read it has very high ripple so I'm thinking of swapping it out now.

Any idea's what was causing mine to blow the RCD? Also it didn't destroy any other bits in the PC I'm pleased to say.
Old 11-03-2006
1kW User

You should see something if it was bad enough to spark and kill the supply.

Now i had an easy one: It blew components off the PCB board. Thank god i had unhooked it from my system first. I never did figure out why it would do that, but i learned never to use a cheap PSU from that .
Old 03-06-2007
200W User

dont forget the nice burning smell
Old 04-15-2007
1kW User

Just finished fixing a Klipsch 2.1 sub with dead power transistors on the right channel final amp........no burn marks and took me about 20 minutes with a magnifying glass and a led flashlight to see where the case of the transistor had ruptured.......
Old 04-17-2007
micro ATX User

I've seen cases where the package of a component just blew apart with no smoke or other traces other than the component itself being broken into several pieces.

Other times though failures can be more catastrophic. I've seen transistors internally short and heat up to the point where smoke comes out of it's plastic casing, to be followed by an arc at one of the pins melting away the metal pin much like an arc welder, until the gap is big enough the electricity stops arcing. The end. Such failures are extremely easy to spot obviously.
Old 05-25-2007
500W User

I believe some of these psu's use MOVs for over current/over voltage protection. The sound like a cap gun going off if they exploded. The mylar will often blow a hole in the plastic casing.
Old 07-22-2007
500W User

Assuming the PS still works, there could have either been a small piece of solder, or a trace that was too close to something else and 'self clearanced'. There could similarly have been a small stray wire that could vaporize and leave barely a trace.

I have had a couple components that have popped and flashed, but no magic smoke. Took them apart, inspected everything, power on and worked fine.

The most interesting example was an Alpine PDX 1.1000 amplifier (small 1000 watt car amp) that I recieved. The first time I powered it up there was a bright white flash from inside the unit and it blew the 4 20 amp fuses on the front panel. I took everything apart (quite a challeng with that one) and could find no damage. Replaced all the fuses and have been using it now for about 6 months without any signs of impending doom. . . Yet . . .