jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 01-07-2018
650w User

For this one, an total overkill PRIME Titanium.
Old 01-07-2018
micro ATX User

Did some googling and more googling around and found another post from year ago. Issuing no signal gpu crash involving any brand 970 gtx and seasonic psu. Also found that there was a driver update that caused black screen crashes with 970gtx but was patched in the next drivers.
Old 01-28-2018
micro ATX User

Any news on this issue? I see similiar posts popping up quite frequently now...
Old 01-28-2018
650w User

I am not sure about more of these posts popping up "quite frequently"....
Can I ask you to re-seat all the cable connectors, just as a precautionary check.
Our RD is looking into this but not able to find any issues thus far but they are still checking.
Old 02-04-2018
micro ATX User

Hello. I am having virtually the same issues with my GTX 970 and my new Seasonic psu.

I recently upgraded my whole system while retaining the GTX 970 from my previous build and I've been getting black screens (no signal) randomly in both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. It seems mostly repeatable when running a benchmark such as 3DMark where it will instantly black screen upon loading in. However it can also happen when idle on the desktop, when opening a browser tab etc. The computer has rarely lasted for more than 15 minutes before black screening. The OS still seems to be working during the black screen as audio continues to play from videos/streams and volume is still adjustable from my keyboard.

The only sign of anything wrong in the Windows 10 event viewer is a 'nvlddmkm' error. As well as a 'Kernal-Power' critical error from having to force reset the pc.

I've tried:

- Updating the motherboard bios to the latest version at the time (there is a new version available now)
- Multiple Nvidia drivers, clean uninstalls in safe mode with DDU, in both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. As well as multiple reinstalls of both operating systems on two different SSDs.
- Unplugging all but the required devices, and only one monitor. Tried both DVI and Displayport.
- Running Memtest86 for 14 hours (4 passes)
- Reseating the graphics card and memory - The first time I did this it did seem to work and the computer seemed to run stable for about an hour before it black screened again.
- A single memory stick in the first slot and then swapping with the other stick and putting that in the last slot.
- Seating the graphics card in the second PCIE slot.
- A different PCIE cable and plugging it into alternate sockets in the psu.

Now after all this I pulled a GTX 770 out of another computer and put that in my system and it has worked flawlessly for over 4 days now with no crash/black screen.

Meanwhile I put the GTX 970 in that other system (which is Windows 7) and it seems to work fine there, as well as previously working fine in my old system (Windows 8.1).

It's worth noting that the GTX 770 has an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector while the GTX 970 only has one 8 pin; therefore with the GTX 770 I am using two separate PCIE cables.

The last thing I've tried was pulling the psu from my old system, an XFX 850W Core Edition, and plugging that into my new system with the GTX 970. And it seemed to work without issue, no sign of a black screen in the roughly hour of testing I did with it. I then plugged the Seasonic psu back in and within 5 minutes of booting into Windows it had black screened again.

Now I'm not sure if the GTX 970 is without issue even if this is to do with psu as I had noticed on both my new machine and the other machine that only when running the GTX 970 Windows would sometimes 'half-lag' when booting in. As in some application like Chrome could launch immediately but other things like Edge would fail to launch and if you tried to open it several times then after 15 seconds or so you would suddenly get all the UAC messages pop up and everything would run smooth from then on. Though this doesn't seem to happen consistently.

Windows 8.1 seemed more stable than Windows 10, at least initially. I did some tests with Furmark in Windows 8.1 and it would almost always black screen instantly. However, if I set the GPU fan speed manually to about 50% prior to running a test then it would start the test without black screening but after a short time would still end up black screening. I know its not a temp issue as I have kept them monitored and the gpu and cpu always remained within reasonable temps under load.

Something else I noticed was in the Bios I can check the GPU post. And the GTX 970 was showing as x8 native while the GTX 770 would show as x16 native. When I plugged in the XFX psu the GTX 970 showed as x16 native. However when I plugged the Seasonic back in the GTX 970 continued to show as x16 native, but the black screens in Windows continued.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! After all this troubleshooting I'm inclined to say it is a compatibility issue between the psu and graphics card. The only other thing I can think of to do would be to update the bios in the graphics card but I don't really want to attempt that unless I know its got a decent chance of fixing it.

Many thanks!

My specs:
Ryzen 1800X @ stock
Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 @ Bios 3008
G.Skill - Flare X 32gb (2x16gb) @ 2400mhz stock
Asus Strix GTX 970
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb
x4 other SSDs/HDDs
Seasonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 650w

Last edited by Thunder; 02-04-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2018
650w User

Hello Thunder,

Thank you for your message.
We are still checking this issue and we have received your message to our support. we will reply to you and keep you updated about this issue with GTX 970.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Old 02-06-2018
micro ATX User

Hi Seasonic Rep,

Thanks for your reply.

It is my understanding that you have been looking into this issue for a couple of months now.

Is there any sign of an imminent solution, or an alternative? Is it only with your FOCUS series that this issue has been reported?

I had missed your email, but I have since replied.

Last edited by Thunder; 02-06-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2018
650w User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Hi Seasonic Rep,

Thanks for your reply.

It is my understanding that you have been looking into this issue for a couple of months now.

Is there any sign of an imminent solution, or an alternative? Is it only with your FOCUS series that this issue has been reported?

Hello,

We are still working on it as we need to get some different samples of GTX 970. We will keep you and update this thread as soon as we have some information about it.

Thank you.
Best Regards
Old 02-07-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Hi Seasonic Rep,

Thanks for your reply.

I had this problem with Focus plus 750w gold and Prime 850w gold
Less frequent with Prime. Also weird POST screen artifacts with focus plus. I hope this problem is only with 970gtx cards since upgrade time is soon 😁
Old 05-14-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raszhx View Post
Hello,

I bought a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Platinum last week which seemed to work fine in the beginning (desktop use). However, when I tested a game, I got a black screen under full GPU load after few seconds (monitor lost signal, could still hear people talk in teamspeak, so not a full crash).

Checked all the cables, tried a game and got a black screen after 30 seconds again.

I used an EVGA SuperNova NEX750b (which is not considered a good PSU) before, so I installed it again to see if it works. And no surprise, it worked perfectly under load.

I contacted the retailer, sent it back and got a new (not yet opened) one today. After installing it I had the same black screens problems as I had with the first one.

The EVGA one can power my overclocked GPU without any problems, both Seasonic PSUs caused black screens even at stock values. I also tried different power strips and wall sockets but it did not change anything.
EDIT: I did not reuse the EVGA cables.

So, is there anything I could do or try out before sending it back?
I'm still within my 14 days right of withdrawal, so I am not going to try out a third one or send it to Seasonic.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

Have you managed to solve this problem?

It appears I too have this problem with my 970 STRIX and Seasonic Focus Gold 650W.

Thanks in advance for answer.

Last edited by jonnyGURU; 05-14-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Engrish