jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 10-25-2017
micro ATX User

Default Black Screens - new Seasonic PSU

Hello,

I bought a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Platinum last week which seemed to work fine in the beginning (desktop use). However, when I tested a game, I got a black screen under full GPU load after few seconds (monitor lost signal, could still hear people talk in teamspeak, so not a full crash).

Checked all the cables, tried a game and got a black screen after 30 seconds again.

I used an EVGA SuperNova NEX750b (which is not considered a good PSU) before, so I installed it again to see if it works. And no surprise, it worked perfectly under load.

I contacted the retailer, sent it back and got a new (not yet opened) one today. After installing it I had the same black screens problems as I had with the first one.

The EVGA one can power my overclocked GPU without any problems, both Seasonic PSUs caused black screens even at stock values. I also tried different power strips and wall sockets but it did not change anything.
EDIT: I did not reuse the EVGA cables.

So, is there anything I could do or try out before sending it back?
I'm still within my 14 days right of withdrawal, so I am not going to try out a third one or send it to Seasonic.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by raszhx; 10-25-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 10-25-2017
Flux Capacitor User

1) What has the retailer told you about the PSU that was replaced?
I had similar -not identical- issue (pc restart under heavy load, and i was told by the retailer that the PSU fan wasn't working, leading the PSU to overheat under heavy load)
2) Try the paperclip test to see if the PSU's fan is working. Check the Seasonic site for details: https://seasonic.com/troubleshooting/
RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
Monitor:Asus VE228HR
Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430
Old 10-25-2017
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
1) What has the retailer told you about the PSU that was replaced?
They have not told me anything. I called them before I sent it back and they told me that they will check and then replace it.
A few days later I got an automated email with a tracking number, nothing more. The new one seemed to be original sealed.
I will call them tomorrow!

Quote:
I had similar -not identical- issue (pc restart under heavy load, and i was told by the retailer that the PSU fan wasn't working, leading the PSU to overheat under heavy load)
All components together draw 500W and the fan is spinning, the PSU should easily manage that without overheating.

Quote:
2) Try the paperclip test to see if the PSU's fan is working. Check the Seasonic site for details: https://seasonic.com/troubleshooting/
The fan is spinning, idle and low loads (desktop usage) are also stable.
The described paperclip test seem to me like a more general test to check if the PSU is functional or dead. I don't have paperclips here, so I need to get some first.

Thanks for your anwer!
Old 10-25-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raszhx View Post
.................I don't have paperclips here, so I need to get some first.
-I only told you that, in order for you to check the fan, but since you say that the fan is working, then there is no reason to try the paperclip test.
-As for my PSU that was replaced (*Seasonic Snow Silent750), the retailer, by themselves, they didn't have any intention to discuss about the problem, but since i asked them what was wrong with the PSU, then they had to reveal this information.
RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
Monitor:Asus VE228HR
Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430
Old 10-25-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

I bought a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Platinum last week which seemed to work fine in the beginning (desktop use). However, when I tested a game, I got a black screen under full GPU load after few seconds (monitor lost signal, could still hear people talk in teamspeak, so not a full crash).
That's really odd as that would point to a graphics card issue. Normally, if the PSU failed for whatever reason, you would experience a full on crash. If you hadn't tried another PSU, I would have said the graphics card was bad.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 10-25-2017
650w User

Quote:
Hello,

Checked all the cables, tried a game and got a black screen after 30 seconds again.

I used an EVGA SuperNova NEX750b (which is not considered a good PSU) before, so I installed it again to see if it works. And no surprise, it worked perfectly under load.

I contacted the retailer, sent it back and got a new (not yet opened) one today. After installing it I had the same black screens problems as I had with the first one.

The EVGA one can power my overclocked GPU without any problems, both Seasonic PSUs caused black screens even at stock values. I also tried different power strips and wall sockets but it did not change anything.
EDIT: I did not reuse the EVGA cables.

So, is there anything I could do or try out before sending it back?
I'm still within my 14 days right of withdrawal, so I am not going to try out a third one or send it to Seasonic.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry for this issue.
I may suggest that you contact our support with your PC specifications and serial number of your PSU and we will be glad to assist you to troubleshot this issue.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.
Best Regards,
Old 11-02-2017
micro ATX User

UPDATE:

I sent the Seasonic PSU back and bought a RM750i which has been working fine the last two days.

As I already said, the retailer did not tell me if there was something wrong with the first PSU. I even called them and asked but they don't keep records of those tests. They test newly arrived faulty components immediately and start the replacement process afterwards.

After the second faulty PSU I was not sure if they were even faulty at all. Maybe they were triggering a protection mechanism my cheapish NEX750B did not.

So I actually got two faulty Seasonic PSUs, quite unlucky!
Old 11-02-2017
650w User

Hello,

Thank you for your message.
Is it possible to provide us the serial number of your PSU's and the reseller? We would like to make sure that we won't miss them and check this load issue.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Old 11-03-2017
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your message.
Is it possible to provide us the serial number of your PSU's and the reseller? We would like to make sure that we won't miss them and check this load issue.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
You got a private message.

EDIT: The second one is still on its way back, so you have to wait a few days until it arrives.
Old 11-03-2017
650w User

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,