jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 10-08-2017
1kW User

Default Windows 10 and my woes....

For the past couple of days, I have been trying to re-install Win 10, and it just won't work.

My usual routine is to unplug USB devices, just leaving the mouse and keyboard plugged in.
I remove all drives except the one I want to put Win10 on.
I then go into the Bios to select the flash drive to boot from.
I can then install the OS, but on the 'install windows' screen it will take about 20 seconds until I can actually select the UK and keyboard with the mouse.
I can type in the OS KEY.
When nearly at the desk top, I can type in the MS password to finish off to get to the desktop. I always sign in to MS for mail and stuff at that point, and later on disable the password to get to the desktop.

I can then install the drivers on to the motherboard, as it is only point and click from my USB storage drive.

Now the problem, I then need to type stuff, for example change the name of the C: drive, I can highlight its current name, but back space does not remove it.

I can click on 'run' the mouse cursor blinks, but no words or letters come out of the key board, even though the keys are lit and it is ready to go.

I can load up I.E. but I cannot type into the search bar.
Even though I have installed the Corsair K-40 drivers, but when I check I find the drivers are MS ones.

I keep getting pop ups saying that windows does not recognise the last USB device plugged in, but doesn't tell me which one, but I suspect the Logitech wireless MX Master mouse, because although the keyboard is lit, it can take about 20 seconds before it begins to work, and is fine after that.

Which means that the whole new installation is useless, and the keyboard works fine during the install process, but not when it is 'ready to go'...

I have never had this before when putting on Win 10.
I have tried 3 different mouses, and another keyboard - no difference.

I have tried 3 legal copies of Win 10, 2 x Home, and 1 x Ultimate - no difference, all on Samsung flash drives of at least 16GB capacity, so at that point there is no point in continuing with MS downloads, putting of software, games etc., and I am back to square one, and rather unhappy....

The last time I actually did a fresh install of Windows 10 was sometime last early last year

Note, I have also installed a fresh version of Windows 7 Home, and had no problems with that.

Anyone any ideas, and sorry for the long post, but just trying to give you an idea of what happens after the installation.
Just hoping Guru can help/advise ?
Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.
Old 10-09-2017
1kW User

I think I may have fixed it.
As a last resort I removed my HX850i, and replaced it with my 'spare' RM550X', and installwed Win10 again.
No 20 second wait to choose country and language, and finally at the desk top, I clicked on 'run' just to type a couple of random letters, and no problem found, so I am continuing to install, drivers, and software and of course MS down loads.
The PC now seems to be quicker on boot up and getting into the Bios, but windows is still bleating that the last USB device I plugged in is not recognised......whatever that may be...
But the mouse comes to life a lot quicker now, once the pop ups go away.

So, it seems - maybe - that my 21st July 2017 RMA replacement has gone wonky somehow.

Early days yet though....
Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.
Old 10-09-2017
1kW User

Update, the keyboard failed again, and I though 'Oh poo'
However, I noticed an icon in the sys tray labelled /Filter Keys' and I have never heard of it before.
By turning options off to see if I could type again, if not, turned it back on again, and eventually when turning the option off, I found I could type again.

For the moment it is fine typing as fast as I can, but back spacing is very slow, so the settings need some more tweaking.
So it seems that my problems are not down to the HX850i, but what changed these settings I don't have a clue..
Old 10-09-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,088 Posts

I'm at a loss.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 10-09-2017
micro ATX User

Not an expert whatsoever, but what I would try is this. Only things I can think of in this weird case

1). I see in your signature that you use a lot of SSD's. I would choose one of these, and try to install Windows there with all other drives disconnected. If the PC installs Win and boots normally I would then reconnect them while in the OS and configure them with Disk Management.

I'm not even sure that you can support so many PCIe lanes with a 6700K and a Z170 motherboard. From your signature I understand that you use 3 PCIe x4 drives + a x16 GPU.

2). Next thing I would try would be only with one stick of RAM, and possibly testing it in different DIMM slots.

3). Lastly, as far as I know IO is handled by the Chipset. Is it possible that the chipset got damaged, or got screwed up somehow but not using the appropriate Chipset drivers?

4). Also, although I find it unlikely looking at your configuration, make sure that the BIOS you use for your motherboard support NVME drives as bootable drives.

Hopefully this can help you a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ktomais; 10-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2017
1kW User

Sorry about that Johhny, but on further trials and stuff, I don't now blame the PSU HX850i as the culprit, as I was getting the same problems using the RM550X....Phew...

I've had a very annoying couple of days.

I have mentioned what I have done, so here again are what I can remember...

I have disconnected all drives except the one I want to install on, plus the USB drive with the OS on it.

I have tried on one Samsung 950 Pro, Nvme, M.2 256GB, and also on the other one.
I tried the Intel 750 Nvme 400GB.

I have 3 Samsung USB sticks with minimum 14GB capacity, and three legal copies of Win 10: two x Home editions,
one with Ultimate on them.

Tried once with all USB devices and LAN cables unplugged except for keyboard and mouse, using the HX850i psu, and once with everything left in place.

Did the same using the RM550X.

Today I have tried again to install Win 10 which has turned out to be successful, apart from getting to the desktop, and bombarded with pop ups, saying that a USB device is not recognised, but once they stop, the mouse is back in action again.
I will have to live with that...

On checking the 'warning' USB devices in the 'system', one report says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The SuperSpeed link to the USB device keeps going to an error state Compliance. If the device is removable, remove the device and then disable/enable from device manager to recover."

Another says:

"Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)"

But still unsure which device it is referring to..

But, the keyboard and mouse work perfectly once the 'warnings' give up. On Windows 7, I get the same 'warnings' but they don't affect the mouse which works anyway.

I haven't tried trying one stick of RAM at a time. I have 2 x 8GB in place.

The previous 'Filter Keys' I mentioned, must be because it must be part of the w10 Ultimate version, under 'ease of access' which doesn't occur on Win10 Home. So having to mess around with the keyboard settings doesn't seem to apply on the Home version.

Yes, my Bios does support Nvme drives.
But the drives also come with their own drivers, which I normally install - good/bad/doesn't matter ?

Anyway, I successfully installed Win10 Home on the Intel 750 drive - no others in place - and it appears to work.
Once fully updated with MS updates, drivers, software, and games, I will then run it for a day or so, and then connect another drive and clone the working one on to another formatted SSD, using the Acronis software.

Then I will send a prayer or three to the computer Godz, that all goes well...

Thank you all for your help, as I was getting a bit confused, and annoyed......never had problems like this before since building the PC back in April last year...........apart from a bit of a PSU problem, which Johnny kindly sorted out for me.
Old 10-11-2017
1kW User

Update.
I am glad to say, that finally all OS's and drives are now working as they should. So far.
I found that I could disable that 'easy access' thing on Win 10 that cocked up my keyboard, so now it works as it should.
Although I still get the warning pop ups about my USB device for about 20 seconds before the mouse is active, when I get to the desktop, but I will worry about that later.

I will see how things go, and then I can re-install the HX850i, tidy up the cables on the back of the motherboard, fit the two side panels, and keep my fingers crossed...
I wish I had a 1 for every time I have removed, refitted SSD's, restarted, re-installed an OS, installed drivers, had another mug of coffee, and scratching what's left of my hair, and been
So many thanks to all who have helped....

I may be back though.............