jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 09-18-2017
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,304 Times in 853 Posts
Default Seasonic Prime Ultra series shows up

On Seasonic's website you already can find the replacements? of the current Prime series, the so called Prime Ultra series. Currently without a fanless version but with a Prime Ultra Gold 550W and Prime Ultra Platinum 550W.

https://seasonic.com/product-categor...-ultra-series/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
ManoloKosh (09-21-2017), Orion (09-18-2017), Philipus II (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017
Tinfoil Hat User

So that's what the newest certified units at ECOVA are: https://plugloadsolutions.com/80Plus...x?id=60&type=2
Old 09-18-2017
500W User

Are you referring to the PD2/GD2/TR units? Notice how the TR are exactly the same as the "old" Titaniums (TD), while the Platinum and Gold correspond with the Focus units of equal wattage? Also, they were actually tested on the same date. And the SSR-1000TR is Platinum, while the SSR-1000TD is Titanium, with the exact same efficiency numbers (which are Titanium).
The Seasonic page doesn't give model numbers, does it?
What is this, cost cutters, already?
Old 09-20-2017
ssssssmokin'

Default Seasonic Presents the PRIME Ultra Power Supplies

Quote:
With the introduction of the PRIME Titanium Series last year Seasonic started rolling out an incredible product line that caught the attention of end-users and media alike. The PRIME Series has won the prestigious Power Supply of the Year 2017 European Hardware Award. The PRIME power supply family entails some of the best performing analog power supplies reviewers have ever tested and it includes a wide range of 80 PLUS® Titanium-, Platinum-, and Gold-rated units to offer consumers wide-ranging choices for different levels of output and efficiency.

Almost a year has passed, and our engineers have yet again come up with new solutions to improve our flagship series to introduce the PRIME Ultra Series.

As graphics cards and motherboards become more efficient, their ever-decreasing power consumption has called for a new power rating variant. The introduction of the PRIME Ultra 550 W Platinum- and Gold-rated units is an answer to these current market trends where most users need high-end, high-efficiency, yet mid-range power capacity power supplies. The PRIME Ultra 550 W in many cases will even provide high enough power to reserve some headroom for future expansion.

Customers will find new additions in the retail box of the upcoming PRIME Ultra Series.
  • Seasonic has included a PSU tester in the box that will let consumers perform a quick and easy jump start on the power supply. When a system is not working properly, it can be particularly difficult to tell the difference between a faulty power supply and other components. With the help of the PSU tester, users will be able to verify whether the new power supply is working properly.
  • Each PRIME Ultra Series power supply will also ship with a SATA 3.3 adapter to support the “Power Disable” (PWDIS) feature of the newer, high-capacity hard drives. This is an important feature for people who are planning to use the PRIME Ultra to power hard drives of a smaller-scaled server at home or in an office.

Some design updates of the PRIME Ultra power supplies further optimize usability.
  • One of the most noticeable of the upgrades is that the inline capacitors on the cables were removed, which takes away from the bulk and improves cable management inside the system.
  • The new 180 degree SATA connectors will ensure more flexibility and easier installation.

The exciting features of the PRIME Ultra Series can be summarized as follows:
  • Ultra-quiet operation – thanks to the upgraded high-end capacitors and the quiet FDB fan driven by Seasonic’s Premium Hybrid Fan Control.
  • Low ripple noise and clean power output – due to high-end components
  • Compact size to fit smaller cases – 140 mm depth on the lower wattage Gold and Platinum units
  • 12 years warranty

Please note that the exact release time of the PRIME Ultra Series varies per region and per wattage.
https://seasonic.com/seasonic-presen...ower-supplies/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
Orion (09-20-2017), Tator Tot (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017
Danke schön

Nice to see the SATA update and the removal of in cable caps.
Old 09-20-2017
ssssssmokin'

Yes, but I don't understand that some models don't have that second EPS connector. If I pay something like 150 euro or dollar for a high-end PSU I expect that it's also compatible with high-end motherboards.
Old 09-20-2017
1kW User

Default CAP in cable disappear!!

It's a good news that PD/GD follow TD to remove CAP in cable, CAP in cable more like a cost effective solution for ripple
Old 09-20-2017
500W User

All Titanium and all Platinum and Gold with 750W and above have 2. That should include all units that cost 150 or more
And I guess you can always extra cables from Seasonic, if your build only has a fat CPU.

But they are pretty conservative with cables overall. They could finally cut the floppy instead, before OW loses his mind.

I am really wondering now what's under the hood. 550W and 140mm do sound like FOCUSes.
Old 09-20-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Nice to see the SATA update and the removal of in cable caps.
I appreciate these. I also appreciate the PSU tester being included. But what is a "a SATA 3.3 adapter" that will "support the “Power Disable” (PWDIS) feature of the newer, high-capacity hard drives?"

Seasonic: I looked all over your site. I found diagrams of your new cables, but I found no photographs of them. Am I missing something?
Intel 4600 graphics using 1GB system memory; Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
various heatsinks (depends on what I am testing ATM); PSU: Seasonic X-460FL (fanless)
Old 09-20-2017
650w User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
I appreciate these. I also appreciate the PSU tester being included. But what is a "a SATA 3.3 adapter" that will "support the “Power Disable” (PWDIS) feature of the newer, high-capacity hard drives?"

Seasonic: I looked all over your site. I found diagrams of your new cables, but I found no photographs of them. Am I missing something?
Hello Ehume,

For the Power Disable feature, it can be found on some of the new HDD's on the market and it requires a specific SATA cable. Without this cable/adapter, your HDD won't spin up/power up. You may refer to this to get more information.

For the pictures, for now I don't know yet when they will be available but we will make sure to put some online.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
The Following User Says Thank You to Seasonic Rep For This Useful Post:
frewster (09-20-2017)