jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Water Cooler > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything goes... within reason

Old 07-09-2017
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

Default Working on a Spreadsheet of Power Data for Common Computer Hardware. Could use Help.

So I'm working on a spreadsheet which you can see here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing - the purpose of the spreadsheet is my own personal method I plan to eventually use (once it is finished) to tackle power calculators online by essentially being my own calculator with sources to back myself up on Internet forums.

For every piece of hardware, I have 4 different types of power data:
  • Gaming (average)
  • Gaming (peak spike)
  • Torture (average)
  • Torture (peak spike)

The most important (I think) would be the average for gaming. This will be super helpful for calculating the most realistic scenario for most people who seek help online. But I figured that other information would also be helpful.

When I say "peak spike" I mean the highest single value on an oscilloscope graph. Tomshardware's power consumption results in articles such as this one here have some nice scope readings.

Torture would be anything such as Furmark on GPUs or Prime95 and similar stress testing software. I include torture results because a lot of people always make an argument out of how you can push hardware harder than gaming.

Using TPU is more difficult for getting my results, though. For example, the MSI 1080Ti review. "Average (gaming)" is obviously what I use for the average gaming value. But do you guys think it would be acceptable to use "Peak (gaming)" for my power data on "Gaming (peak spike)"?

My concern here is that TPU uses a multimeter that takes power readings 12 times a second:

Quote:
We report the average of all readings (12 per second) while the benchmark is rendering (no title/loading screen).
However, Tomshardware uses a scope:

Quote:
2 x Rohde & Schwarz HMO 3054, 500MHz Digital Multi-Channel Oscilloscope with Storage Function
4 x Rohde & Schwarz HZO50 Current Probe (1mA-30A, 100kHz, DC)
4 x Rohde & Schwarz HZ355 (10:1 Probes, 500MHz)
1 x Rohde & Schwarz HMC 8012 Digital Multimeter with Storage Function
So I'm just not sure if TPU would supply proper data for any other columns. What also concerns me is their Furmark reading is not an average but the highest single reading.

So, if anybody wants to shoot some advise, or if you notice any mistakes or improvements that need made, ring me. Oh, and the most important part is the BBCode column. Just copy/paste text from a certain piece of hardware and it creates a pretty thing with all the data on it.
Old 07-10-2017
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,254 Times in 822 Posts

Please don't make this. I already see the people saying that they need at least a 650W PSU for a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB and AMD Ryzen 7 1800X without overclocking. Because the CPU and graphics card alone can take ~550W peak according to your sheet and other components also consume power.

Some even gonna say the minimum is 750W because you need some overhead. And others are gonna say: "buy a 1000W PSU because then you gonna load the PSU only to 50% which is the most efficient." Or something similar.

If you really want to help the average Joe then don't confuse them with numbers they don't understand. For the average Joe it needs to be simple. They instant need to see that a quality ~450W PSU with two PEG connectors is what they minimal need for a Ryzen 7 1800X and MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB without overclocking. And make sure they choose quality over quantity.
Old 07-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
They instant need to see that a quality ~450W PSU with two PEG connectors is what they minimal need for a Ryzen 7 1800X and MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB without overclocking.
By me just telling them that isn't them seeing it. Need numbers. Otherwise other people tell me I'm full of crap. Unfortunately my word isn't enough for people.

Quote:
I already see the people saying that they need at least a 650W PSU for a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB and AMD Ryzen 7 1800X without overclocking.
Wouldn't these numbers finally disprove that? I mean, if it's true then the numbers and data would indeed align.

Quote:
don't confuse them with numbers they don't understand.
Power in watts is not a very difficult thing to understand. They probably wouldn't understand peak and stuff but if just average gaming power is calculated I think that proves to be a fairly understandable metric.

Quote:
buy a 1000W PSU because then you gonna load the PSU only to 50% which is the most efficient." Or something similar.
Nothing we can do about this. At the end of the day our PSU recommendations are no more right than anybody else's PSU recommendation, even though in our minds and yours you are recommending the better unit. I'm more interested in supplying accurate data on power.

Then if they want to get a PSU with double so it is within 50%? I don't care. I'm not the one buying the PSU. Thaqt doesn't matter to me. PSU recommendations can be debated all day. What I don't care for is when the actual amount of power of the components is debated. It's nicer if that is actually set in stone and well-known.
Old 07-10-2017
ssssssmokin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
By me just telling them that isn't them seeing it. Need numbers. Otherwise other people tell me I'm full of crap. Unfortunately my word isn't enough for people.
People are gonna copy it and post it elsewhere and without the right context it's useless.

Quote:
Wouldn't these numbers finally disprove that? I mean, if it's true then the numbers and data would indeed align.
No I don't think so. I expect that 90% is gonna use peak measured by oscilloscope because that's the highest number.

Quote:
Power in watts is not a very difficult thing to understand. They probably wouldn't understand peak and stuff but if just average gaming power is calculated I think that proves to be a fairly understandable metric.
But if you give them more numbers then they need it's not gonna work. Make it as simple as possible and don't give them 4 different numbers about graphics card power consumption. They don't need the max power consumption measured by the oscilloscope so don't name that number.
Old 07-10-2017

Well maybe when I'm done I'll port it to a new spreadsheet and just do gaming average power.
Old 07-10-2017
ssssssmokin'

Well this is the perfect example what's gonna happen:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=140661

Last edited by -The_Mask-; 07-12-2017 at 05:47 PM.