jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 09-01-2017
90 Degrees from Danger

I have to be honest, you've had some bad luck if your UPS's have all made that noise when on AC Power.
Wonder if there is some underlying issue that might be the reason.

I've successfully run all my PC's for years on the BR1500G without the PSU screaming when on battery, and having silent running when not (and, my area and house have bad power, 50 Events Average per month).

There are 4 in the House right now. 3 Are 1500G's and 1 is a 1000G.
I do also have Cyberpower (the 900VA flat model, which is nice, but the LCD is lacking, and their 1500VA model, which has useful USB ports on the front).

Give it a try and see, if it makes noise too, perhaps there is a lot of noise on your lines and its in a constant state of trying to clean it. We had some power issues at my house my Father had to fix that cleared up a lot of issues I had, so anything can be possible for you too really.

Good Luck.

-Storm

- Caught in the Maelstorm / A grasp unknown / tap you heels 3 times / You'll want to be home - *S.T 2009*
Old 09-02-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
I have to be honest, you've had some bad luck if your UPS's have all made that noise when on AC Power.
Wonder if there is some underlying issue that might be the reason.

I've successfully run all my PC's for years on the BR1500G without the PSU screaming when on battery, and having silent running when not (and, my area and house have bad power, 50 Events Average per month).

There are 4 in the House right now. 3 Are 1500G's and 1 is a 1000G.
I do also have Cyberpower (the 900VA flat model, which is nice, but the LCD is lacking, and their 1500VA model, which has useful USB ports on the front).

Give it a try and see, if it makes noise too, perhaps there is a lot of noise on your lines and its in a constant state of trying to clean it. We had some power issues at my house my Father had to fix that cleared up a lot of issues I had, so anything can be possible for you too really.

Good Luck.

-Storm
How can you have silent PSU when the UPS switch on battery?
As far as I know all the PSUs this days have an active PFC and with an ancient UPS like the APC the PSU should scream (buzz loudly)
Old 09-02-2017
90 Degrees from Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
How can you have silent PSU when the UPS switch on battery?
As far as I know all the PSUs this days have an active PFC and with an ancient UPS like the APC the PSU should scream (buzz loudly)
At no point in my previous post did I say it was silent. I stated it wasn't screaming i.e. I am unable to hear it over other ambient noises in its general area. I'm sure if I put my ear right up to it , it probably is making some noise. But nothing that is detectable by myself, or my wife for that matter and her PC.

And I'll be honest, even if it did, all I really care about is that when power goes out (as it often does) it keeps my rig up and running so I can shut it down and that when there are spikes and sags in the Voltage it cleans it up and gives power to my devices still.

-Storm

- Caught in the Maelstorm / A grasp unknown / tap you heels 3 times / You'll want to be home - *S.T 2009*
Old 09-04-2017
1kW User

is there someone who knows PowerWalker brand and can tell me something about it's reliability?
this models seems to be very competitive on the sheet and it has a very very good street price (300 dollars)

https://www.powerwalker.com/?page=product&item=10120066
Old 09-04-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,086 Posts

NEVER heard of them.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 09-04-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
NEVER heard of them.
there are a lot of people on Tom's Hardware Italy that are buying this brand, it's cheap and it seems to offer good products.
I'm pretty tempted...

the only things that retain me from buying the Cyberpower PR1500ELCD is that it could be noisy.
Old 09-06-2017
1kW User

I am continuing my evening lecture with some basics of current.
Quote:
The power rating of a UPS in watts is a function of its power factor.

Power Factor - Power Factor is expressed as the difference between “apparent power” and “real power”. A 1,000 VA UPS with a 0.9 power factor will be rated for a 900 watt load. A 1,000 VA UPS with 0.7 power factor will be rated for a 700 watt load. The amount of work that a UPS can perform is expressed in watts. Therefore, a UPS with a higher power factor is capable of more work than a UPS with a lower one - given the same amount of voltage and amperage (VA). This can be visualized as a glass of beer with foam on the top. The full glass of beer + foam represents the volt-amps (VA), or apparent power. The beer itself represents the watts, the portion of the contents that can do work.

While electrical loads tends to demand more power than they consume, the Power factor (PF) is a standard method to measure how effectively the electrical power is being used. An UPS that offers higher power factor indicates within the same amount of power demanded, the more power is really utilized within the UPS system.
This is just to answer my previous questions about VA and Watt
Old 09-12-2017
1kW User

At the end I bought the Cyberpower PR1500ELCD 1500VA/1350W on Amazon at a wopping 480€.

Currently will run under a Corsair AX860i but planning on upgrading on an AX1200i, or Prime 1200W or EVGA 1200W.

Waiting coffelake-e and volta to understand if 1000W is enough or 1200W is better

UPS will arrive on friday, finger crossed for the noise or I will return it in a minute
Old 09-13-2017
1kW User

When I want to get some infos on the products I buy I can be very boring...

I wrote to the cyberpower tech support:
Quote:
Hi,
I noticed that surge suppression on the PR1500ELCD is pretty low (405 jouls only).

How surge suppression works on a PR1500ELCD?
Do you rely on absorb the impact with a MOV or you redirect the excessive voltage away from the equipment and safely back to ground???

Reading wikipedia about "Surge protector":
" Well-designed surge protectors should not rely on MOVs to absorb surge energy, but instead to survive the process of harmlessly redirecting it to ground."

Are you surge protector designed well? Do you harmlessly redirect the surge energy to the ground?

Thanks,
their answer:
Quote:
Do you rely on absorb the impact with a MOV

à Yes. The typical design for most commercial UPS products.

or you redirect the excessive voltage away from the equipment and safely back to ground?

à No. Gounding is for system safety, not for surge protection.
I know that APC UPSs redirect excessive voltage to the ground, so +1 for APC, -1 for Cyberpower.
Old 09-13-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,086 Posts

Wouldn't sending surge to ground energize parts you don't want energized?

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"