jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 06-24-2017
1kW User

Default Upgrading my expensive APC with a cheap but better CyberPower.

As title.
I am pretty bothered to listen my PSU scream when the UPS switch on battery.

Unfortunantly my APC BackUPS PRO BR1500GI is a waste of money.
It haven't a sine wave so my PSU scream, and it isn't even able to sustain a load of 800W.

I would like to upgrade my expensive but unuseful APC with a Sine Wave CyberPower.
It costs half of the APC but it seems to offer way more features.

Is there someone else here who own the Cyberpower PFC SineWave UPS and can tell me if it is a good product?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017
500W User

I have a CP1000PFCLCD that I bought almost 3 years ago and it's served me well through many a voltage sag, brownout, power flicker, and power outage (the power lines around here suck).

I never had any issues with my previous machines that were hooked to this UPS, but my latest workstation build has a FSP FlexATX PSU and I notice the fan on it will spike to full speed when switching to (or back from) battery power. On this FSP500-50FSPT the fan quickly settles down after switching, but I don't know if that would be the case for you (or maybe the fan wouldn't even spin up at all).

I think the reason for the FSP's fan spinning up is the switchover time on this UPS isn't the fastest. So maybe there are other sine wave units now that are better, or you could go with an online UPS to avoid that issue entirely.
Old 06-25-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post
I have a CP1000PFCLCD that I bought almost 3 years ago and it's served me well through many a voltage sag, brownout, power flicker, and power outage (the power lines around here suck).

I never had any issues with my previous machines that were hooked to this UPS, but my latest workstation build has a FSP FlexATX PSU and I notice the fan on it will spike to full speed when switching to (or back from) battery power. On this FSP500-50FSPT the fan quickly settles down after switching, but I don't know if that would be the case for you (or maybe the fan wouldn't even spin up at all).

I think the reason for the FSP's fan spinning up is the switchover time on this UPS isn't the fastest. So maybe there are other sine wave units now that are better, or you could go with an online UPS to avoid that issue entirely.
@OP: I have three CP1500PFCLCD AND A CP1000PFCLCD (not current production models) -- one each for three computers and one for the router. I just looked up my order history. I got them in early 2013, and just recently replaced the battery pack on my most-used machine.

The most memorable event was when we lost power and no one had to stop what they were doing . . . for more than an hour. The router, which sips power, never went down.

@Aibohphobia: I have my printer hooked up to the surge-protector-only side of the UPS: it is not connected to the battery. When my printer comes on the UPS lights up, beeps and runs its fan. I have never had my PSU's make noise or run their fans.

@OP: Overall I would buy this product again, but I would also look at APS. It would depend on price, features, quality as well as I could determine.

True sine wave machines are a lot more expensive than constructed sine wave UPS machines.
Intel 4600 graphics using 1GB system memory; Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
various heatsinks (depends on what I am testing ATM); PSU: Seasonic X-460FL (fanless)
Old 06-26-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
True sine wave machines are a lot more expensive than constructed sine wave UPS machines.
My current APC BackUPS PRO BR1500GI cost 400 on average and it produce a stepped approximation to sine wave.

The Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD costs 250 and it produce a sine wave.

I feel pretty dumb to have bought an APC that offers half the specs of the competition and cost two times more.
Old 06-26-2017
1kW User

the final question is...

My current APC does not support a load of 800W even if it is advertised to be capable of 865W. When the UPS switch on battery, my PC shut down abruptly.
If the load is smaller than 800W the PC remains lit but the PSU scream like a mad for the bad stepped sine wave.

Should I upgrade my 400 APC with a 250 Cyberpower?

It seems very strange, to upgrade something for half the cost
Old 06-30-2017
1kW User

is there some expert that can give me some suggestion?

is it a dumb upgrade to upgrade a $400 APC BackUPS PRO BR1500GI 865W stepped sinewave UPS for a $250 Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 900W sinewave?
Old 06-30-2017
500W User

Which PSU is it that the fan speeds up when running on the stepped sine wave?
Old 07-05-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
is there some expert that can give me some suggestion?

is it a dumb upgrade to upgrade a $400 APC BackUPS PRO BR1500GI 865W stepped sinewave UPS for a $250 Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 900W sinewave?
hoping that some experts will shed some light
Old 07-05-2017
micro ATX User

How does the circuitry compares between both? Component quality, efficiency, etc?
Old 07-08-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snayperskaya View Post
How does the circuitry compares between both? Component quality, efficiency, etc?
I'm thinking on buyin a big boy.
900W is not that future proof for my rig.
I am planning on upgrading to 10 cores+ CPU and 900W will be too few in some months.

I have seen that Cyberpower has the smart series that is way cheaper than the APC one.
https://www.cyberpower.com/hk/en/product/sku/PR1500ELCD

1350W of pure sine wave.
APC costs more than two times more for an equivalent one.

Why?