jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Water Cooler > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything goes... within reason

Old 05-16-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Default I'm not dead. But...

Hey guys. I accidentally clicked on the wrong link in my shortcuts folder and found myself here for the first time in a few years. Takes me back... I'm doing ok, but I'm pretty much out of the PSU/computer industry. Figure I'll tell my story real quick before leaving for good.

Back in 2012 I jumped from OCN to the industry by landing a job at EVGA. It was great and I was really psyched. However, the CEO of EVGA, Andrew, is a micromanaging nutcase who videotapes his employees at their desks, and I was forced into a product management role I did not have the experience for and failed pretty miserably at. After coming back from a trip to Taiwan I tried to get a job with SeaSonic, and got a preliminary offer from their VP. But I mentioned it to some coworkers at EVGA and I suspect it made its way back to Andrew. The offer from SeaSonic was withdrawn.

I was unemployed for the better part of a year, then managed to get a job with CoolerMaster. It was... better than EVGA, but not great. As a product manager I was essentially told to increase profit margins, volume, and brand reputation simultaneously, while also dealing with supply shortages and cost increases. But I wasn't allowed to propose or introduce any new projects, and also we had to keep selling terrible products like the eXtremePower series under our own brand name. Failing to meet their impossible product goals, I took a pay cut and went into a more technical advisory role. I basically tested PSUs and did some minor electrical engineering work for ten months. But CoolerMaster at that time was a struggling brand, and they ended up downsizing their US division by around 60%. They laid off 50+ people in six months, including me.

I found myself in the situation of having a lot of technical and electrical engineering knowledge, but no formal credential in that field. I'd taught myself electrical engineering out of The Art of Electronics and other sources, to the point of being able to design a buck regulator, linear power supply, high current switch, and other moderately complex circuits. But without a degree in engineering I didn't qualify for any jobs above a technician level, and even there there were few jobs available, and a surplus of freshly minted engineers desperate for an entry level gig. Considering also that my credit from a community college in New Orleans wouldn't transfer to actual universities in California, and I kind of found myself at wit's end.

This lead to depression, which combined with a series of personal and interpersonal crises, made me about ready to paint a tribute to Jackson Pollock by way of Kurt Cobain. Instead I got a lucky break, and got a job in the construction industry by sheer luck and demonstrating my smarts. I now work in construction contracts and building codes compliance. It's boring, but it pays well, is very stable, I have a decent boss, and the company is actually investing in my training and education to make me a more valuable employee. Which, coming from the PC industry, is pretty fucking novel.

I'm much better off now, I have a wonderful partner, a nice apartment, financial stability, and a career with a future. If I've learned one lesson, it's this: stay the fuck out of the personal computer industry. It's full of washouts from more profitable/prestigious consumer electronics segments, nepotistic and racist Chinese businessmen, backstabbing careerists, and politically/socially naive idiots like me, caught in the middle of it. Having worked now in actual professional environments it's astonishing to me that companies like CoolerMaster can even function. Given their recent fortunes, I guess it's safe to say they don't.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with power supplies, and I don't pay much attention to computer industry news anymore either, beyond which graphics card or CPU to upgrade to next.

I had some great times here on JG and on OCN and reddit, but I'm officially signing out. I wish you all the best!

With love,
-Phaedrus

Last edited by Phaedrus2129; 05-16-2017 at 09:00 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Phaedrus2129 For This Useful Post:
-The_Mask- (05-17-2017), breixobaloca (05-17-2017), Hyp36rmax (10-04-2017), Microflop (05-16-2017), Nuckles_56 (05-16-2017), Philipus II (05-21-2017), quest for silence (05-24-2017), sith'ari (05-18-2017), Tator Tot (05-17-2017), turkey3_scratch (05-18-2017)
Old 05-16-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,154 Posts

Aww... Come on. :-(

Corsair needs a PSU PM and... since were not Asian owned... it's a lot less stressful than most other companies. :-)

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 05-16-2017
Flux Capacitor User

They'd have to offer me a whole pile of money to move up to the Bay and start working in this industry again. I'm probably not worth it.
Old 05-17-2017
650w User

Hi Mike, wow, what a story! I am glad things are well with you! Sorry to read about the difficulties in the prior years but what is important is now you are stable on your feet with much to look forward to and the past is just a great learning experience.

I wish you well and if our paths ever cross again, let's grab a drink. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seasonic Rep For This Useful Post:
Phaedrus2129 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-18-2017
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

PSU Tramatic Stress Disorder is a real thing. I'm glad you are free of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Aww... Come on. :-(

Corsair needs a PSU PM and... since were not Asian owned... it's a lot less stressful than most other companies. :-)
Jonny you lasted like 1 day not posting on Internet forums :P

Last edited by turkey3_scratch; 05-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:
Philipus II (05-22-2017)
Old 05-24-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
Hi Mike, wow, what a story! I am glad things are well with you! Sorry to read about the difficulties in the prior years but what is important is now you are stable on your feet with much to look forward to and the past is just a great learning experience.

I wish you well and if our paths ever cross again, let's grab a drink. Cheers.
Thanks.

I'm still in LA, so if you ever make a trip to Azusa drop me a line. I'm only about 30 minutes away. I think you should still have my email/phone #
Old 05-24-2017
650w User

Nice! Next CES, drop me your contact by PM. Cheers!