jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-07-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,496 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
I'm actually wondering why nobody produces PSU in Europe or Mexico. Minimum wage is so damn low in some countries, so labor cost would be same or even lower than in mainland China. I guess we really lack the knowledge nowadays in Europe and America to actually build PC hardware.
I don't believe lack of knowledge is a gating factor. Talent can move from country to country. I just think it's a lack of interest more than anything.

Shall we start a Kickstarter?
Old 03-08-2017
Antec Rep

I am "intrigued" by some things, but just to confirm:

- They use 2 ultra-thin FR2 PCBs top and bottom on a layer with few regional crossings? (It does not look like FR4 (nor even FR6) Before I magnified I thought FR6, but ...)

- They say what on the PFC in low loads?

Their transformer-modular PCB bridge is cool
Old 03-08-2017
retired reviewer

PSU production knowledge is now mostly with Chinese and Taiwanese. Not sure if they are interested in helping Europe/Latin America build their own PSU
Old 03-08-2017
Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)

Quote:
Not sure if they are interested in helping Europe/Latin America build their own PSU
Not just in "helping", but in to be well paid for helping.

Last edited by quest for silence; 03-08-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-08-2017
Danke schön

While I don't think I could be as harsh as the others; I would say this unit is probably a 5 in terms of value for most consumers who would need a unit like this.
It costs probably twice what it should, and around $600-700 more than most would reasonably pay.

Likewise, for all of that outstanding design & build work; it's a shame the 3.3v rail is such a slouch.
Old 03-08-2017
In Tacens we Trust.

Quote:
I'm actually wondering why nobody produces PSU in Europe or Mexico. Minimum wage is so damn low in some countries, so labor cost would be same or even lower than in mainland China. I guess we really lack the knowledge nowadays in Europe and America to actually build PC hardware.
You may also consider proximity to electronic components, maybe? Better to locate your industry near the components you use, and also most manufacturers have Chinese/Taiwanese origin. I have no real idea of this, I'm just supposing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I don't believe lack of knowledge is a gating factor. Talent can move from country to country. I just think it's a lack of interest more than anything.

Shall we start a Kickstarter?
Manufacturing TACENS in Spain, yeeeahh!!!!

-----

Nice review, Wolf. Thanks for releasing it that fast, and thanks for those photos LOL
Old 03-08-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Yeah...

We have had some discussions in the past mocking the audiophile lunatic fringe...Yeah "I can hear the difference" that my super insulated / shielded speaker cable makes...or this $50,000 worth of insane quality gold plated balanced to 50,000 rmp and mechanically insulated on granite and gyroscopes...turn table makes a difference to the sound fidelity of my 78 rpm records.

Sorry, quality for the sake of quality; with an exponentially diminishing (to 0 infinity endpoints)

just a waste of time, energy, and mental thought.

Build quality for a power station in a hydroelectric project that could well last 50 or even 100 years?

Sure, go for it.

For a mission critical/fail safe application? military, healthcare, power grid....sure, worth spending the effort.

Personal PC?

NOPE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdk777 For This Useful Post:
Chipskate (03-08-2017), IBruce (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
Yeah...

We have had some discussions in the past mocking the audiophile lunatic fringe...Yeah "I can hear the difference" that my super insulated / shielded speaker cable makes...or this $50,000 worth of insane quality gold plated balanced to 50,000 rmp and mechanically insulated on granite and gyroscopes...turn table makes a difference to the sound fidelity of my 78 rpm records.

Sorry, quality for the sake of quality; with an exponentially diminishing (to 0 infinity endpoints)

just a waste of time, energy, and mental thought.

Build quality for a power station in a hydroelectric project that could well last 50 or even 100 years?

Sure, go for it.

For a mission critical/fail safe application? military, healthcare, power grid....sure, worth spending the effort.

Personal PC?

NOPE
Agree 100%, this effort by Cooler Master is completely to choose a word from my vast childhood vocabulary which seems absolutely appropriate here, SILLY!

Anyone running an overclocked CPU, memory modules, and video card(s) should consider the Seasonic Prime Titanium skus at 1/5 the cost, and soon the Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000watt will launch at 1/4 the cost.

I'm beginning to sound like a Seasonic Prime fanboy so I'll shut up.
Old 03-08-2017
1kW User

Quote:
PSU production knowledge is now mostly with Chinese and Taiwanese. Not sure if they are interested in helping Europe/Latin America build their own PSU

I think you're misinformed.

In Brazil we have Goldentec, a PSU manufacturer with its own factory, capable of producing ATX12V 2.31 PSUs with 500 W of real power, with high efficiency, all the protections and ISO 9001 compliant. Also, you have a six month warranty

http://www.goldentec.com.br/produto/...tec-g500-power

#CHUPAANDYSON

Last edited by Internet; 03-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2017
Tinfoil Hat User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet View Post
capable of producing ATX12V 2.31 PSUs with 500 W of real power
Such an advanced factory to achieve the feat of manufacturing so powerful units!

Any internal pictures, other than no PFC in sight?